Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 10/20/2004 12:50:28 PM EDT
I cut my carry handle and my flat top riser mount.  My carry handle is now a BUIS and since I cut the flat top riser, I can co-witness with my Simmons 42mm red dot!    I know I'm not in the Gucci club, but I really like the outcome.  Plus it seems to hold zero pretty well (we'll see in the long run) so I'm happy!

Here's a pic!  Let me know what you all think!

Link Posted: 10/20/2004 1:03:53 PM EDT
[#1]
Great job! Looks real good.
Link Posted: 10/20/2004 2:27:30 PM EDT
[#2]
Welcome to the Gucci Club...

That looks sweet, any close ups?

~Crpdeth
Link Posted: 10/20/2004 4:49:46 PM EDT
[#3]
I'm not part of "club Gucci".  I don't have a $400+ optic or anything.    But thanx for the thought!  

I will try to get close up pics later.  I'm assuming you mean of the cut carry handle BUIS?
Link Posted: 10/20/2004 8:17:04 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 10/20/2004 9:00:57 PM EDT
[#5]
 I'm in college and am like most typical college students, I'm broke most of the time.  One of these day though I WILL have an Aimpoint to go on my AR.  I'm in love with them!

As far as the cut carry handle, you really should try it.  IF you have the right tools and such, it's really easy to do.  I used a hacksaw, a wheel grinder, a file, and some sandpaper to cut and shape the metal.  It's pretty easy and I think you'll be happy with the results if you take your time and do it right.  

I used flat black spray paint to refinish mine.  Seems to work GREAT and matches perfectly.  

If I were you, I'd use an actual "blueing" agent to stay in the Gucci club though!  Preferably gold or platinum.  Muahahahahaha!!!  I brought jokes too!    
Link Posted: 10/20/2004 10:15:19 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
I cut my carry handle and my flat top riser mount.  My carry handle is now a BUIS and since I cut the flat top riser, I can co-witness with my Simmons 42mm red dot!  he
Here's a pic!  Let me know what you all think!

img66.exs.cx/img66/7179/DCP_1799.jpg

I aint mad at ya!!!!! This is my current set up.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v479/lt557/100_0676.jpg
Link Posted: 10/21/2004 8:56:18 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
 I'm assuming you mean of the cut carry handle BUIS?

Yes absolutly, I love to tinker with stuff, especially stuff that dosent matter if I mess it up...Looks like a good rainy day project.  

~Crp
Link Posted: 10/21/2004 9:43:26 AM EDT
[#8]
Certainly not a graduated from the WESCOG School of Gunsmithing.

Looks good from the pics!
Link Posted: 10/21/2004 12:04:45 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
I'm not part of "club Gucci".  I don't have a $400+ optic or anything.    But thanx for the thought!  

Good job Black-X! Don't worry about guccifying your rifle until you get clear of college. You will have many years to build out projects that cost as much as your tuition!
Link Posted: 10/21/2004 12:42:26 PM EDT
[#10]
Nice job guys....................

Can you give me a hand? I have a project (cheap) going and I need a couple of the left over front halves from the carry handle cut off. I'm currently working in Saudi Arabia (contractor) and will be back home in December. If anyone wants to donate the "trash" leftover pieces for my project please send me an email. I am more than willing to pick up shipping as needed to my home in Texas.

Thanks
Link Posted: 10/21/2004 9:58:24 PM EDT
[#11]
Tuition and books are VERY expensive!!!  I could build 2 or 3 guccified AR's for what I'm paying for college!  lol

Anyways, here's a couple pics of the BUIS up close.  I think I'm gonna strip the paint off and redo it.  I made it a little too blotchy (didn't notice it until I saw the pics).

Cyclic, I would donate the leftover carry handle piece but I have a cheap project in mind for this as well.  Looking to make a easy on/off mount for a flashlight.  
Link Posted: 10/21/2004 9:59:41 PM EDT
[#12]
BTW, i forgot to say thank you for all the kind words!  
Link Posted: 10/22/2004 12:48:33 AM EDT
[#13]
Thanks anyway.

If anyone else has left over handle cut downs they don't want, let me know.
Link Posted: 10/22/2004 1:09:03 AM EDT
[#14]
State school, eh? The people I know in Private schools could by a pair of Guccified transferable M16s for what they pay a year in tuition. Its sad, the priorities there
Link Posted: 10/23/2004 6:16:52 AM EDT
[#15]
Thanks Black....

Looks real good, keep us posted on the next project as well!

~Crp
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top