Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 10/14/2004 10:06:30 AM EDT
I am building my first flat top and I'm having to peace it together because of the budget.  I know a lot of folks are going to say get an aimpoint or EOTech or don't get anything but I need something to do until I can afford one.  

I want a holosight has anyone tried the Bushnell?
Link Posted: 10/14/2004 10:23:25 AM EDT
[#1]
Why go with the Bushnell, when you can get the EOTech for about $60 more.  If you want to save money, go with the Hakko BED-35.
Link Posted: 10/14/2004 10:32:04 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 10/14/2004 10:32:37 AM EDT
[#3]
I have a Holosight, and it's done everything I've needed it to.  I am not an operator, or in law enforcement.  My guns come out of the safe, into a case, to the range, and back again, so they're not getting much abuse.  

I really like the 1 moa dot in the big circle, it sorta gives the best of both worlds.  If you shop around, you can find refurbished Halosights, or the ones with the dot only, for around $150.  

Link Posted: 10/14/2004 10:57:32 AM EDT
[#4]
My guns get rained on and I like them to be able to spend nights outside etc...

So is the concensus that I get something REALLY CHEAP (BSA reddot) until I can get an EOTech?  I could get an EOTech faser this way.

Where is a good place to shop for the EOTech online?
Link Posted: 10/14/2004 11:37:47 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
My guns get rained on and I like them to be able to spend nights outside etc...

So is the concensus that I get something REALLY CHEAP (BSA reddot) until I can get an EOTech?  I could get an EOTech faster this way.NO!  Save your $$ and get the EOTech the first time.  It is well worth the wait and the few extra $.  Cheap red dots are JUNK.  I know, I went that route, and I wish I'd spent the money on the EOTech the first time.  I now own 4.

What Fenian said about the 1MOA dot is true.  You can shoot nice tight groups with it, but the big ring makes it easy to find the target fast.

Friends don't let friends do cheap red dots.

C_M
Link Posted: 10/14/2004 12:06:11 PM EDT
[#6]
Iv'e shot my EOtech/Bushnell holosight in the rain and have never had problems with it. I bought mine used for $150. on the EE. Looked brand new. The EOtech 510 would be a good one for someone on a budget. It has the protective hood and should be cheaper than the ones that are NV compatible. They are the first models with the protective hood. Per the EOtech FAQ.

Link Posted: 10/14/2004 6:26:33 PM EDT
[#7]
I have a Bushnell, and also have Eotech 552 and 512.

The Bushnell is just like the 512, but without the metal protective hood.  I think the extra cost of the metal hood is well worth it IF I were going into combat.  But for home defense, I have no doubts about the Bushnell.

The AA version is well worth it.  We are talking 70 hrs with N cells, vs 300 hrs with AA alkalines and 500-600 hrs with AA Lithiums.  The thing is, you can almost always scrounge AA's from Walkman's, Diskmans, Mini Maglights, etc.
Link Posted: 10/14/2004 6:55:55 PM EDT
[#8]
The Bushnells I have seen have a hood, Bushnell is also linked of the EOTech website, I wonder what the relationship is.

I'm probably going to wait on the EOTech (or Aimpoint), I allready have the BSA so I have something on it till then.

I'm just trying to prioritize the purchases for this build.

So far I plan to get (in order)

CavArms lower and Kit (got it)
Armalite upper (probably)
BUIS (don't know which one yet)
Hogue grip
handguard rail and vertical foregrip
optics
Light
Link Posted: 10/15/2004 11:45:16 PM EDT
[#9]
The DPMS Mangonel Rear Sight mounts neatly behind the Eotech/Bushnell, and lays quite flat until needed.  It flips up quickly and easily.

No, the Bushnells do NOT have a metal shield around the top.  Look at the pix of the Eotechs and Bushnells again.
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top