BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 10/14/2004 5:40:01 AM EDT
What is this "Special Ring Base"?

Does anyone have a description?
Capabilities, mounting options, requirements?

Thanks.
Link Posted: 10/14/2004 6:04:20 AM EDT
[#1]
It's a mounting system that Trijicon offers - basically they have the lower mounts for a variety of weapons.  These mounts attache to the 'upper ring' that is on the scope.  These are the 'generic' Compact ACOGs.

The ones most of us buy have the built in AR-15 carryhandle mount and we need to purchase a mount to adapt it to the flattop (which IMHO is not quite as secure as the 'special ring mount'; M16 mount has 1 big screw to secure it while special ring has 4 smaller screws).  If you go to Trijicon's website and click products, then Compact ACOG, then select a unit then click in 'Info'.  The lower of the 2 scopes shown is a 'special ring' model - note the 2 screw holes on the side for attaching to the mount (there should be 2 on each side).

The problem with the special ring model IMHO is it costs an extra $90 to mount the scope to a M16 (even if it's a carry handle M16) and the scope is the same cost as the M16 ready model.  Also with the Carry Handle mount there is no LaRue mount so you're stuck with thumbscrews (if that is important to you).
Link Posted: 10/14/2004 6:22:30 AM EDT
[#2]
FYI Cincinatus - You might want to check out this thread (in case you missed it): Brouhaha & Austrian use Compact ACOGs at Front Sight

It seems I'm one of the few that has seen this washout issue so I'm starting to think it might be a problem with my unit rather than an issue with all of them.
Link Posted: 10/14/2004 6:45:36 AM EDT
[#3]
I'd love to see pics that detail the mounting hardware.
Link Posted: 10/14/2004 6:58:09 AM EDT
[#4]
Visit the Trijicon Site's Compact ACOG Page  at the bottom is the list of 'Special Ring Adapters'.  Click on them and they will show a photo.  Note they have 3 separate heights available for the Special Ring Compact ACOGs for mounting on a flattop.

There is even a mount for Mini-14s
Link Posted: 10/14/2004 7:07:32 AM EDT
[#5]
Thanks...
Link Posted: 10/14/2004 7:17:42 AM EDT
[#6]
Next question...

Which would be best for mounting on an M14 Bush rifle?:

TA24

TA26

TA39

TA40

Why?

Link Posted: 10/14/2004 7:49:33 AM EDT
[#7]
Hmm tough call  its between the 39 and 40.  Personally I'd go for the added magnification of the #39 to take full advantage of the range capabilities.

However the #39 has short eye releif so you had best make sure there is enough eye relief for you intended mounting position.  If it is too short - then the longer eye releif of the #40 would be my second choice.
Link Posted: 10/14/2004 8:28:28 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
FYI Cincinatus - You might want to check out this thread (in case you missed it): Brouhaha & Austrian use Compact ACOGs at Front Sight

It seems I'm one of the few that has seen this washout issue so I'm starting to think it might be a problem with my unit rather than an issue with all of them.

The link will not work for me. I cannot find this and would like to read it. Thanks.

Link Posted: 10/14/2004 9:43:21 AM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 10/14/2004 4:18:32 PM EDT
[#10]
TNX.
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top