Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 10/13/2004 12:34:57 PM EDT
I know that ARMS cuts the top of the smaller peep off of their #40 flip-up rear sight so it will be flat when folded, but...

What is the benefit/use of the "horizon line" and notch?
Link Posted: 10/13/2004 12:48:05 PM EDT
[#1]
I've read that it helps you lead moving targets, but I don't have experience with this.   I do know that it allows the sight to have a lower profile when folded down, allowing it to fit under scopes where the #40A2 wouldn't fit.
Link Posted: 10/13/2004 12:54:25 PM EDT
[#2]
lead and 500m zero.
Link Posted: 10/13/2004 12:56:38 PM EDT
[#3]
it does nothing.... this is just arms trying to think of something pratical because they didn't want the small appeture sticking up... its retarded... i'd go with the xs same plane app'ie's
Link Posted: 10/13/2004 1:34:18 PM EDT
[#4]
I agree.  It is marketing speak for "we couldnt close properly without cutting it so now its a horizon line/lead reference point".

Nothing wrong with it, it works fine - but a horizon line?  Uh, ok........
Link Posted: 10/13/2004 3:41:36 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
What is the benefit/use of the "horizon line" and notch?

No benefit what so ever and nearly impossible to use!

ARMS will give you the "horizon Line" spin and tell you it's an improvement
Link Posted: 10/13/2004 3:53:12 PM EDT
[#6]
I think the only reason they cut it is so you can mount an ACOG over it.

While I do prefer the full aperture, I don't have problem with it. But then, I don't see any advantage, except maybe when shooting at long ranges and trying to see what your target is..?
Link Posted: 10/13/2004 4:03:37 PM EDT
[#7]
ARMS is trying to uproot and destroy the integrity of the AR15 rifle...beware!  They're evil folk.
Link Posted: 10/13/2004 7:18:32 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
I think the only reason they cut it is so you can mount an ACOG over it.

While I do prefer the full aperture, I don't have problem with it. But then, I don't see any advantage, except maybe when shooting at long ranges and trying to see what your target is..?

+1
Link Posted: 10/13/2004 7:43:03 PM EDT
[#9]
yea.... it's prettty useless. I tried to use it to hit steel plates at 200 and 300 yds and got nothing but a fuzzy sight picture. finally replaced the Aperture with a normal one and  now I can hit those plates just dandy. Pop out the pin with a 1/16th" punch and unscrew the windage knob, remove /replace/ reverse process. its a 5- 10min job in the basement. I also like the idea of thhe same sight plane Aperture as well. AR Carbines are a 300 meter weapon. Use a better tool if you need to go beyond that range. just my $.02 YMMV
Link Posted: 10/13/2004 11:38:49 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 10/14/2004 5:14:09 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:
ARMS is trying to uproot and destroy the integrity of the AR15 rifle...beware!  They're evil folk.

the way some people speak, you'd almost believe that!

Now you know what us Colt guys have to put up with!

Link Posted: 10/14/2004 6:41:13 AM EDT
[#12]
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top