Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 10/8/2004 10:09:07 PM EDT
I'm trying to figure out which kind of rail system is right for me, and will be most usefull for my future needs.

There seems to be 2 types:
1) Free floating
2) Another type which I cant find a consistent name for.. maybe 'fixed' ???

Anyway... What's the difference between these two mounting types?  What are the benefits and disadvantages of each?

I'm thinking of buying the X-6, but I'm still undecided and flexible.  Thank you to anyone who can provide some clarity on this.
Link Posted: 10/9/2004 4:20:57 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 10/9/2004 4:23:23 PM EDT
[#2]
non floating are cheap and easy to install. FF are more accurate, because the sling  or accessories dont hang off of the barrel. If you use a rail mounted sling or have lots of accessories on your rail, you definitely ought to consider a FF rail, particularly if you swap out your accessories a lot.
Link Posted: 10/11/2004 11:43:44 AM EDT
[#3]
What are you mounting on it? If optics, a FF will probably be your best option. I went with the SF M73 as it was easy to install and pretty well made for the $$$ (I have my Ml2 mounted on the receiver). If this will be on a gun requiring match accuracy, then a FF rail is a must. FWIW, I get 1moa out of my RRA 16" M4gery with the M73 on it (shooting on a sandbag).

Chris
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top