Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 9/30/2004 9:37:16 AM EDT
Could someone give opinion on a good varmit scope? Value is important but I could see paying up to $800 for the right scope. Any opinions would be appreciated.
Link Posted: 9/30/2004 9:46:23 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 9/30/2004 9:49:09 AM EDT
[#2]
LEUPOLD is the route to go, I bought my 6.5x20x40mm Gen II recticled leupy from these fellas: www.premierreticles.com/

If your a set it and forget guy then this may be over-kill for ya, but if want a scope to run out to the 1000 yard line and anywhere in between then back to ZERO, evertime, ya can't beat the choice made by the majority of National 1000 yard long range shooters.

Mike
Link Posted: 9/30/2004 10:02:36 AM EDT
[#3]
loopie VX-II with target knobs, cant beat it for the money. I like the super sniper, but I think it tooo heavy on a already heavy gun
Link Posted: 9/30/2004 11:17:49 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
Define “varmint scope” for me.  In other words, what do you need it to do really?  I’ve got a Nikon Monarch UCC 4-12 x 40 on a RRA Varminter and it is a sweet piece of glass for my purposes.  Does the reticle matter to you?  Does it need target knobs?  Does it matter whether it’s a 30mm tube or a 1”?  Need reticle illumination?  How are you going to use the rifle?  You gonna let it bounce around the back of your truck, or will it be a range-only safe queen?

Not trying to be a jerk.  A little more information on what you’re trying to do with it would help.  For example, you’re going to pay a lot more (in some cases) for target knobs and a 30mm tube.  Why pay for features you don’t need??  

FWIW, I didn’t want target knobs or illumination.  I wanted the scope mainly for target shooting.  It has an adjustable objective for parallax and the glass is very clear.  It is excellent at light gathering.  I have it mounted in ARMS 22L rings on a cut-down ARMS Swan Sleeve.  I love the setup.  Rock solid, yet I can QD the scope and have it return to zero.  This works great for what I need.

BTW, welcome to the site!

Mark

Thanks for the welcome Bookhound, I should have been a bit more specific. I do want target knobs but can not use an illuminated reticle here in Oregon for hunting. Will be mostly hunting prarie dogs and coyotes at long range.(200 to 400 yds) The tube diameter really doesn't matter to me. Magnification in the 4.5 through 22 or 24 range. I really like Leupold scopes, have a 2x7 on my elk hunting rifle but not much experience with their target or varmit scopes.
Link Posted: 10/2/2004 4:50:51 PM EDT
[#5]
Varmint hunting is not rocket science and you being from Oregon and hunt varmints also tells me that you prabably hunt sage rats also. Ya, they are a blast when the alfalfa is growing. I suspect you already know what you need for the rats. High magnification will work off the bench. But when packing and walking I lean twards the 2.5X10 espeacially when in the predator mode. Trying to find a happy medium is sometimes difficult because you usually give up something to gain something. Most of the Leupolds can have the target knobs installed at the beaverton facillity for about $40. each also reticules can also be added. They are very good in the eye relief area and provide a very quick sight picture when your rifle is quickly shouldered. They are a favorite for most hunters.  
Link Posted: 10/2/2004 4:57:47 PM EDT
[#6]
Or you can buy my 6.5-20X50 LRM1 on EE right now....sorry can't help it
Link Posted: 10/2/2004 5:16:11 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 10/3/2004 2:16:37 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
LEUPOLD is the route to go,

+1
Link Posted: 10/4/2004 4:48:26 AM EDT
[#9]
http://www.pbase.com/edwin907/image/32065580/large.jpg

Couldn't be happier with my Leupold 4.5-14 50mm with target knobs.
Link Posted: 10/4/2004 7:28:42 AM EDT
[#10]
+1 for Leupold.  I have a 4.5-14 x 50mm on my .308 and it is an excellent scope for hunting and target shooting.  Very clear glass and it is an extremely robust scope.  I also have a Zeiss Conquest (1" tube) 4.5-14 x 40mm that I am mounting on an AR I am building and while I haven't had it out in the field yet, looking through it the glass is excellent and it is a really well made scope.  I purchased the MilDot model (which is more expensive than other reticles they offer) for just under $600.  I think one of the new Leupold Mark 4 PR models might make a good choice as well.
Link Posted: 10/4/2004 7:40:57 AM EDT
[#11]
IOR, either a 4-14X50 or a 2.5-10X42
Link Posted: 10/4/2004 8:03:47 AM EDT
[#12]
I bought a luepold 3.5x10x VX-III about 20 years ago and I dont have to tell anyone that its a fabulous scope. no target knobs and a 1 inch tube not to mention it has the gloss finish. Everything about this scope is just wrong for the ar-15. But the damn thing will hold a zero so well, I havent been able to justify getting a new scope. When it comes down to it, I dont feel like the target knobs and all the illuminated crap thats out theese days,  really matters that much. I use this scope on two different rifles and once i get it re-zeroed after a rifle swap, I never have a need for target knobs. Maby I'm just a dumb country boy, but both rifles hit everything I aim at within about 400 yards  For the occasional trip to the range and if i get a lucky call to go varmit shooting in my buddys' field, this leupold has done the job without any issuse or complaints.
Link Posted: 10/4/2004 8:58:50 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
I bought a luepold 3.5x10x VX-III about 20 years ago and I dont have to tell anyone that its a fabulous scope. no target knobs and a 1 inch tube not to mention it has the gloss finish.

My 3-9X Leupold from 1985 is also a wonderful scope, works like the day I bought it.
http://www.pbase.com/edwin907/image/31223359.jpg
If my latest one on the varmint AR gives as good a service I'll be very pleased.

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top