Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 8/9/2004 8:02:41 AM EDT
Essentially pinned down the optic for my latest build to be either one.  Looking for an optic for CQB and engagements out to 400 yards.  

Looking at the pros and cons of both scopes makes it a tough choice, except for the fact the IOR is designed to banged around.  Not sure if the Leupold can take the same physical abuse.

Need some input from those who own or have owned either scope.

TIA
Link Posted: 8/9/2004 3:43:00 PM EDT
[#1]
 I have the IOR and like it, yes it is built like a tank.  The Leupy is in service in Iraq so it must be ok in toughness.  Neither scope has bright enough illumination to be seen good in bright daylight, and I am guessing the IOR is better for BAC as it has real heavy donut in middle of reticle.  
 At least I can do BAC with it, don't know about you.  Also the IOR is 1.1x as opposed to 1.5x, closer to 1x makes fast shooting easier.  FOV is about 20 feet more with IOR.  I like all the range finding circles and hash marks on the reticle, they are useful and finely etched, so not distracting to look through.  
 So what I guess I am saying is get the Leupy.
Link Posted: 8/9/2004 5:03:48 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 8/10/2004 9:43:00 AM EDT
[#3]
That pic of the IOR is decieving, it makes the scope look shorter. What is the OAL of that scope? I think Ive seen those before and they are longer than the carry handle on the rifle.
Link Posted: 8/10/2004 11:18:27 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
That pic of the IOR is decieving, it makes the scope look shorter. What is the OAL of that scope? I think Ive seen those before and they are longer than the carry handle on the rifle.

10.5 inches.  Some pictures of it mounted on an AR-15 here.

Mike, are the CRTs with CQB reticles a special order you will be selling?  I can't find the IOR on your website, and the only other reticle pictures I can find for the CRT are either the 4A circle or 4A dot:

(both from the first link in this post, but also found elsewhere)
Link Posted: 8/11/2004 9:13:05 AM EDT
[#5]
zrxc77, thanks for the link!  Really made a difference in my choice of mounting platform.

From the pic, it looks as though the IOR rear objective extends past the charging handle when mounted directly to the flattop.  The ring spacing is not good!  Although a cantilever style mount (ARMS #35 or LaRue) would solve the problem, I all ready have a set of High Rings I want to use.

Guess the Leupold is looking better.
Link Posted: 8/11/2004 9:36:40 AM EDT
[#6]
You're welcome.  I'm glad it helped.
Link Posted: 8/11/2004 9:42:26 AM EDT
[#7]
By the way, I found my own answer to my question about the reticle.  Sniper Country PX sells the IOR CRT for $635 and offers all three reticles:  the 4A Circle, 4A Dot and the CQB.  However, they say that the name of the CQB has been changed to GPC (General Purpose Combat) to better reflect its intended use.

You might also want to read the nice review of the IOR CRT at Sniper Country.
Link Posted: 8/11/2004 9:44:16 AM EDT
[#8]
You can have Premier Reticles add a mildot reticle and target knobs to the Leupold.

Keep Romanian parts together. Mount the IOR on your SAR-1.
Link Posted: 8/11/2004 10:54:23 AM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 8/11/2004 12:49:34 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
You can have Premier Reticles add a mildot reticle and target knobs to the Leupold.

Keep Romanian parts together. Mount the IOR on your SAR-1.

Link Posted: 8/12/2004 2:05:06 PM EDT
[#11]
I'm torn on the IOR's also......  every time I see the . IOR M2 4x24, then i say, wow that's a good scope, then i look at the variable big brother and I'm like, DAM NI want THAT.  

this hobby COSTS MONEY!!!!
Link Posted: 8/12/2004 5:05:34 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 8/16/2004 6:28:11 PM EDT
[#13]
I've got an IOR CRT. I mounted it on a DSA FAL using the heavy DSA scope mount. Pluses - this thing is built like a tank - very rugged !  Good optics. Disadvantage - this thing is heavy - it weighs about a pound ! - - - I was also considering a Leupold but after checking various sources the consensus that I came up with is that Leupold lighted reticles are iffy is terms of reliability under hard use (though the scopes themselves work great). So I went with the IOR. - - - I'm going to mount the IOR on a Bushmaster BAR-10 A3 this coming week. - -
Link Posted: 8/18/2004 12:35:56 PM EDT
[#14]
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top