Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 7/8/2004 2:39:39 PM EDT
............. I like it. I just mounted it on my 20" A3 upper. I will take it to the range tmw. My impressions so far.....

PRO:
Amazing optics, perfect glass
Post recticle is fast
scope body is built like a tank
Gen4 mount is sturdy
Got a GREAT deal on it (like half of MSRP)

CON:
I admit, its ugly as sin
sits a little high for what I like, but I can still maintain a good cheekweld
backup sights on top are pointless
It is not light, but its not as heavy as people make it out to be

I will report back tmw on my impressions on the range.

I know this scope does not have a good rep, but I will report as fairly as I can. I will compare it to my compact acog (3x24) when I get it next week.
Link Posted: 7/8/2004 3:37:41 PM EDT
[#1]
sounds good, get some pics
Link Posted: 7/8/2004 6:02:35 PM EDT
[#2]
Good for you...I've had one for a couple of years now and love it...
Link Posted: 7/8/2004 7:15:26 PM EDT
[#3]
i have always liked them
Link Posted: 7/8/2004 7:54:43 PM EDT
[#4]
Well around here, they are evil, like a Leupold CQ/T. Hell, my opinion is, the US army uses them, and the whole Canadian Army uses them. They cant be that bad.
Link Posted: 7/8/2004 8:24:27 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
Well around here, they are evil, like a Leupold CQ/T. Hell, my opinion is, the US army uses them, and the whole Canadian Army uses them. They cant be that bad.

yeah, if it is army proof it has to be good enough for us
Link Posted: 7/8/2004 8:32:14 PM EDT
[#6]
They are neat to use at night - probably the best non NVD night optic.
Link Posted: 7/8/2004 8:39:17 PM EDT
[#7]
I cant wait to hunt armadillos at night with it now. I think a 20" barrel and XM193 will do the trick

Quoted:
They are neat to use at night - probably the best non NVD night optic.

Link Posted: 7/8/2004 10:22:33 PM EDT
[#8]
You forgot to mention it rebalances the gun.

Very topheavy

also very little room for a BUIS

I can see at night with that clunky optic though! I love it!

I will soon put it through its paces soon enough.
Link Posted: 7/8/2004 10:28:32 PM EDT
[#9]
Yea, its top heavy, but I dont care. The optics at night are amazing. Tmw it goes thru its testing
Link Posted: 7/9/2004 3:22:48 AM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 7/9/2004 3:25:41 AM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 7/9/2004 4:22:49 AM EDT
[#12]
Shows up fine for me.
Link Posted: 7/9/2004 5:12:38 AM EDT
[#13]
POOF!

There now for me too!

Link Posted: 7/9/2004 9:17:58 AM EDT
[#14]
Nothing...
Link Posted: 7/9/2004 10:55:13 AM EDT
[#15]
Its there. Nice rifle
Link Posted: 7/9/2004 7:40:52 PM EDT
[#16]
Ahh I see it, very nice

The Elcan just....I dunno...interests me...I'd like to try one out I guess
Link Posted: 7/10/2004 12:55:23 PM EDT
[#17]
Ahh, range report. I shot aprox. 260 rounds thru a 20" flattop with a 1x12" pencil barrel. The elcan was very nice. The post has a nice sharp tip, and the stadia lines point towards it. I was able to group 1.5-2" off of bags with crappy wolf 55gr HP. This is with standard hanguards and a stock trigger. I was very impressed. The FOV at 100 yards is huge. The glass is perfect. So far, I really like this scope, despite its weight and fugliness. My 3x24 compact acog comes in next week, and then I will compare. After using the Eotech, I cant really figure out why they have such a bad rap. Mine help zero perfectly. Maybe the gen4 mount is that much better than the old one...
Link Posted: 7/11/2004 5:01:43 AM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 8/2/2004 2:14:19 PM EDT
[#19]
Just bought an older Elcan. Can anybody describe the way to differentiate between the different Generation mounts?? The mount on this one has a yellow label along the bottom side that give the radioactive properties and the rubber armor does not have the open sights molded into them.
Link Posted: 8/2/2004 2:49:23 PM EDT
[#20]
Everyone says its light gathering ability is amazing.  Having owned one myself, I honest can't say it's any better than the ACOGs I have, anyone has hard data to support that?

<---member of the Aimpoint Army and ACOG Mafia
Link Posted: 8/2/2004 3:28:24 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
anyone has hard data to support that?

Never compared a full-size ACOG to an ELCAN side by side.  I have compared a 3x24 Compact ACOG side by side with an ELCAN and the ELCAN was superior.
Link Posted: 8/2/2004 8:16:08 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Quoted:
anyone has hard data to support that?

Never compared a full-size ACOG to an ELCAN side by side.  I have compared a 3x24 Compact ACOG side by side with an ELCAN and the ELCAN was superior.

Exactly what I have seen. I held my compact 3x24 ACOG, and my elcan side by side, and the Elcan was far superior. The 4th Gen mount has a spring under the scope bosy that pulls the scope down into the mount at all times. I have had no zero issues, but I am not exactly rough with my babies.
Link Posted: 8/6/2004 6:07:50 AM EDT
[#23]

The 4th Gen mount has a spring under the scope body that pulls the scope down into the mount at all times.

Does the spring push or pull the scope body? Can this spring be upfitted to a GEN III mount?

I can see some side to side play in the body between the mount on mine. Looks like too much "give" on the front pivot. A spring would likely take that play away.
Link Posted: 8/6/2004 7:14:28 AM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

The 4th Gen mount has a spring under the scope body that pulls the scope down into the mount at all times.

Does the spring push or pull the scope body? Can this spring be upfitted to a GEN III mount?

I can see some side to side play in the body between the mount on mine. Looks like too much "give" on the front pivot. A spring would likely take that play away.

Hi Locked,

The Spring pulls the two halves of the body together.  

The GEN IV SSL mount is a significant improvement over the Gen III and previous.

My issued rifle has a Gen II, and has recently been completely re-built inside.

My personal rifle (owned) has a Gen IV SSL mount, and is exceptional.

I've put about 40,000 rounds under both scopes, and have been extremely happy with the way they work.  Note, I use the "open gate" method for ballistic compensation, as opposed to the pre-calibrated cam, so I put the scope through more of a workout than some would.

Both the Gen II and my Gen IV are fully repeatable in both windage and elevation, and the Gen IV is return to zero when removed from the rifle.  I have three uppers and one Elcan.  I swap it back and forth between them on a reasonably regular basis, with no problems at all.  No change in zero.

Please post your impressions compared to the ACOG that you're getting.  I've compared one with a full-size ACOG, and preffered the Elcan...the glass was better, and I didn't like the BDC Reticle.

NavyShooter

Link Posted: 8/9/2004 5:50:13 AM EDT
[#25]
Chuck,
Nice rifle and setup.
Is that an A! buttstock?
What length, mfg., and twist is the barrel? Is it a cut-down?

I don't have an ELCAN. I've only looked through them at a show. Seemed like pretty good glass quality.
Do they all have the verticle post only aiming?
Link Posted: 8/15/2004 2:24:50 PM EDT
[#26]
 Where can one find a 4TH Generation ELCAN Scope Mount? I've had one for years with the ooriginal mount,in storage. I finally picked a 20" flat top upper and was looking to mount the ELCAN on this. I would much rather have the latest and greatest....

THANKS ALL FOR ASSISTANCE ON THIS!!!!
Link Posted: 8/15/2004 5:26:31 PM EDT
[#27]
I think SWFA has the GEN-4 mount for sale
Link Posted: 8/15/2004 5:28:58 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

CON:

Au contraire mon frere....

I did a two week AT with my reserve unit and we went to Curacao to train with the Royal Dutch Marines. They do an exchange every year with the USMC. Their instructors ran us through some hip pocket classes on dynamic shooting, CQB and small unit tactics. The sights worked well for close range engagements(2-10 meters.) It took a brief period of adjusting for the nearly three inch difference between the bore and sights on top of the sight but it worked well once you were accustomed to it. It was then just a function of putting the sights at the right position for chest and head shots.
Link Posted: 8/15/2004 6:41:56 PM EDT
[#29]
I've always wanted to give an ELCAN a try  BUT they are expensive (to me) and when I looked through one at the gun show it seemed like everything got smaller in proportion . I ask the dude if I was looking through the right end ! Maybe it was cause We were inside ? ? ? ?      
Link Posted: 8/16/2004 12:31:02 AM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

Quoted:

CON:

Au contraire mon frere....

Sorry they are usless.

They will shave off in under a week in hard usage conditions...
Link Posted: 8/16/2004 12:33:05 AM EDT
[#31]
Part of our Afghan experinces is a need to replaced the C79 and C79A2 ELCAN sights...

Guy here are spending their own coin for Aimpoint M2's - we have EOTECH 552's issued as well and the CF (Infantry School) is looking at the TA31 ACOG...

Nice range scope - I would not and do not trust my life to it.

-Kevin

Link Posted: 8/20/2004 3:01:35 PM EDT
[#32]
Wheres a good place to pickup an Elcan with the .308 reticle?
Link Posted: 8/21/2004 1:20:05 AM EDT
[#33]
the elcan is a very good optic...

i had my doubts a lot...  but my friend kept insisting on them... a few mins later we were on the firing line with m240B's w/ elcans ontop  firing at human siloettes 400m to 800m....  

a couple of 5 round bursts later all the targets lay down...  the optic is perfect for a machine gun...  for a rifle... i haven't tryed it out yet....   i assume it is good... but i will hold out that the acog is the best magnified optic
Link Posted: 8/21/2004 6:30:03 AM EDT
[#34]
I need one of those. Elcans rule. Where did you get the 50% off MSRP deal? The EE?
Link Posted: 8/21/2004 6:37:25 AM EDT
[#35]
Link Posted: 8/21/2004 12:44:19 PM EDT
[#36]
Kevin,

Are you ELCANs failing? Are they Gen-4 mounts?...can you be specific as to why they need to be replaced...I'm just very wondering why...If an ELCAN is working atop an machine gun then why are they not working for the M16/M4??
Link Posted: 8/22/2004 3:16:47 AM EDT
[#37]
We just recently upgraded to teh 4th gen mount (and a few other upgrades).

Yes they are failing and have been failing at an unacceptable rate.  Very shortly (ina  year or two)  You guys (US Army) will leanr that the MG's will beat to shit the Elcan on the feedcover mount.

I still think the optic is superb - however the design of the mount makes it very prone to damage from impact and prolonged recoil.
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top