Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 5/13/2004 2:07:48 PM EDT
I noticed the Trijicon website says the TA01NSN "reticle bullet drop compensator and range finding stadia lines are based on the trajectory of the 62 grain bullet from a 16 inch barrel, flattop mount...".
I thought the M4's are based on a 14.5" barrel? Just wondering why Trijicon would use a 16"?
Link Posted: 5/13/2004 6:01:27 PM EDT
[#1]
You're right, Troy said; 14.5".

I think it was Troy.  If it wasn't well then I'm hearing things.
Link Posted: 5/13/2004 7:31:19 PM EDT
[#2]
Yeah it should be 14.5" because that is what the M4 had in terms of barrel length in the SOPMOD package.
Link Posted: 5/14/2004 6:21:20 AM EDT
[#3]
I sent Trijicon an email a few days back but haven't heard anything. If they did base it on a 16" barrel how much does it change the point of impact if you're using a 14.5"?
Link Posted: 5/14/2004 6:52:24 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
I sent Trijicon an email a few days back but haven't heard anything. If they did base it on a 16" barrel how much does it change the point of impact if you're using a 14.5"?

Very little.  From the calculations I have been doing for my TA31F, which believe has the same BDC.  What I found, when mounted on a 16-20 barrel and limited extent 14.5, the BDC is good for 55-75,77 grain bullets.  Good out to at least 400-500 meters, sometimes beyond.  It seems like the best BDC to have if you actually use the BDC.
Link Posted: 5/14/2004 12:00:39 PM EDT
[#5]
I think they did that so they could more easilly field them to A4's and M4's.

The difference is probably equivalent to one click of elevation at 600meters. The compromise is obviously slanted toward the M4.

KAC admits a similar compromise between 20inch and 14.5 for their 600Meter BUIS BDC, maybe the military requested it?
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top