Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 5/9/2004 4:20:35 PM EDT
Well I just built my Beowulf and off to the range.  I have the Yankee Hill front site that is attached to the gas block rail and the ARMS#40 rear site mounted on the A4 upper that is from the Beowulf.  I moved my target out about 15 yards for the first shot and fired at center.  It was about 12 inches from the center.  Adjusted the site in to bring up the hit and again just above the other.  Screwed in the site all the way and still over 8" from center.  I can not bring up the shot for nothing.  Im shooting bench and there is no more adjustment to make.  I allowed a friend to also shot and same for him.  1 I can do it the redneck way and file the front site down or tap the screw hole for the site to go down more, or send it back to YHM.  Has anyone else had this problem?

Please advise!

Thanks

G
Link Posted: 5/9/2004 4:45:44 PM EDT
[#1]
Here is what I had done on my GB.  There was a level placed on the A4 rail, then a level placed on the
GB rail.  There were both set at only a bubble tolerance.  I placed the folding site on the gun, centered the rear and took it to the range.  The only adjustment I had to make was elevation to raise my shot.

How did you "plum" the GB?
Link Posted: 5/9/2004 5:04:37 PM EDT
[#2]
Gas block came on the barrel from Alexander Arms.  I did not mess with that at all.  I just placed the site on and locked it in place.  The Arms 40 does not have elevation so there is no ajustment there.  Is there something Im missing?

The gas block is pinned with taper pins.... if that helps?
Link Posted: 5/9/2004 5:25:08 PM EDT
[#3]
I'm just going to shut up, I keep re-reading your post and getting more information.  Still 8" low, hmm.  And that is at 15yds.  I wonder what it would do at 50yds since it is on the rise?
Link Posted: 5/9/2004 5:46:06 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
I'm just going to shut up, I keep re-reading your post and getting more information.  Still 8" low, hmm.  And that is at 15yds.  I wonder what it would do at 50yds since it is on the rise?

It would still be low, it only went up due to the fact that I turned the front site post all the way in.  But there is no more adjustment to make to birng it up more.

Link Posted: 5/9/2004 8:06:37 PM EDT
[#5]
I don't mean to insult or anything like that so please don't take offense.  Are you sure you have their gas block flip sight and not the Forearm Front Sight.  They are different heights, with the Forearm sight being shorter.  So if you put a shorter sight on a lower plain, its gonna shoot too high, right?  Just a thought.  Figured it might explain the use of all screw travel, and still be that high.

-Hershey
Link Posted: 5/10/2004 2:30:23 AM EDT
[#6]
I am going to have to check with YHM today.  I was not aware that they made 2 different site posts.  Ill post and let you all know what I get back from Customer service.  

Link Posted: 5/10/2004 8:20:23 AM EDT
[#7]
This is a letter I got back from YHM in just over 1 hour from calling them Discussing the problem I am having.

I would recomend them to anyone and will buy from them again!

Thanks

Sir, I checked into the problem and it might be a difference in the application.
Part #YHM-9584 was made for primarily for use with the AR-15 and M-16 type
firearm.
Due to your barrel size and gas block configuration this may not be giving the
right heighth. If I may suggest we will send you a Forearm Front Flip Sight
YHM-9627 which will give you approx. 160 thounsandths of more travel. Not
knowing
where you started in zeroing and bullet drop it is impossible to know if this
will work, but give it a try. Let me know if you want to do this we will send
you the part and you send us the one you have now. Thank you

Larry Jones
Technical Sales
YHM
Link Posted: 5/10/2004 10:16:01 AM EDT
[#8]
If you have a rail that is on the same level with the receiver the HG FS will most definately work.
Link Posted: 5/10/2004 1:45:08 PM EDT
[#9]
you got to remember this is for a .50 Beowulf and not an AR.  The barrel is almost 2 times the size as the fattest  part of an M4 barrel.  They are making one for the Beowulf and shipping me the first to try it out.  I can do some R and D for something that will work.  
Link Posted: 5/10/2004 6:55:20 PM EDT
[#10]
Cool, sounds like you pretty much got it sorted out!  Glad to hear that!  I wish someone would ask me to do some R&D.  

-Hershey
Link Posted: 5/10/2004 8:48:04 PM EDT
[#11]

Fyi. A few weeks back I ordered the gas block front sight an recieved the shorter rail version.The bag that the sight came in was labeled incorrectly. Just  take a look at the photos on the YHM website and compare each one to yours. All I had to do was send them an e-mail and they shipped me a replacement that day, trusting me to send the mis-labeled FS back. I  would not hesitate to do business with YHM again.

George
Link Posted: 5/11/2004 7:28:36 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
Due to your barrel size and gas block configuration this may not be giving the
right heighth.

That's what I would have said, had I read this post on Sunday.
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top