Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 11/24/2003 12:20:42 PM EDT
I own an EOTech 552 w/ NV (N battery model)and was wondering if it a good choice for field use compared to the Aimpoint?  I originally purchased it to use on my home defense weapon - an M4gery.  Was wondering if anyone has experience using it in the field.  I know the Aimpoint is a 1x optic too, but what about it might make it a better choice in the field vs. the EOTech or not - maybe even same-same?  I know some will say ACOG - but I want to keep this to 1x sights.

I also would like to know something about the different sight mounts for an Aimpoint - especially the cantileavered version from KAC.  Is this a good mount, or is there a better one?

Thanks
Link Posted: 11/24/2003 12:52:11 PM EDT
[#1]
You have one of the best sights made ,a little practice and you'll get used to it .it is by far the fastest to use and  you can mount it to a flat top without any problem and without any addional mounts .
Link Posted: 11/24/2003 1:51:26 PM EDT
[#2]
This topic has been discussed to death on this forum.  Please try the SEARCH function.  If you cannot figure out how to use it just ask and someone here will assist you.

BTW, the EoTech is the BEST 1x CQB scope on the market for field use.  [}:)]
Link Posted: 11/24/2003 1:57:59 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
This topic has been discussed to death on this forum.  Please try the SEARCH function.  If you cannot figure out how to use it just ask and someone here will assist you.

BTW, the EoTech is the BEST 1x CQB scope on the market for field use.  [}:)]
View Quote

I thought you had to have a paid membership to use the search function - no?

Here, [b]ASNixon[/b], just a few:

[url]http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=3&f=18&t=164971&w=searchPop[/url]

[url]http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=3&f=18&t=172313&w=searchPop[/url]

[url]http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=3&f=118&t=169347&w=searchPop[/url]

[url]http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=3&f=118&t=168452&w=searchPop[/url]

[url]http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=3&f=18&t=168612&w=searchPop[/url]
Link Posted: 11/24/2003 4:45:25 PM EDT
[#4]
I think for the non-paying members you only get to go back 30 days.
Link Posted: 11/25/2003 5:20:27 AM EDT
[#5]
Thanks for the links to those discussions.  I really appreciate it.  I actually used this board to get info on the EOTech before I bought it – but I think I missed one piece of info.  I have since sighted it in and thought I was doing something wrong when trying to see how it did moving the dot right or left of center.  Now I know I was not in error based on these discussions, but that the sight has parallax error when moving the dot right or left of center.

I think I was told that it did not have parallax error and could put the dot any where on the glass and still hit the target based on where the dot was?  I guess there is no way to "fix" this other than to learn to deal with it?  Just asking for my education - please don't flame.  In other words, knowing this might be a limitation, what is the best way to train with it – when aiming around corners, while moving/maneuvering, etc?

Really sorry for the confusion, but my question was more to the issue of the sight as used in the field (as in outdoors) while on patrol or extended patrol - not necessarily as a "storm the house" type CQB thing.

Thanks.
Link Posted: 11/25/2003 5:47:29 AM EDT
[#6]
No problem - glad I could help.

FWIW, I'm about to take the EOTech plunge for the first time, myself.  I always used iron sights or "traditional" scopes on my ARs.  It was just in the past year or two that I tried any kind of red-dot/"modern" sight (Tasco ProPoint) - guess I'm a classic "late adopter."  Anyway, I recently decided to try one of the "newfangled" (for me, anyway) heads-up sights and chose the EOTech based solely on various discussions here - the ones linked above and others like them.

This site has been a "learning zone" for me as much as it has been a fun place to vent/opine/pontificate/etc.  [:D]
Link Posted: 11/25/2003 8:31:46 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Now I know I was not in error based on these discussions, but that the sight has parallax error when moving the dot right or left of center.
View Quote

I would have to see scientific proof of this before I'd agree that this is anything but [BS] or shooter error.  I have NO such problems with mine.  Every sight that lists the EoTech says the same thing, 100% parallax free.  Try putting the gun in a shooting vice aimed right at your target.  Then move your viewing angle so the dot in not in the center of the window.  The dot remains EXACTLY on the target.

[i]HDS Specifications
Operation

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Optics:
Transmission holography – 100% parallax free
Magnification:
1x unlimited eye relief
Length/Width/Height:
4" x 1.8" x 2.25" (102 x 49 x 60 mm)
'AA' model: 5" x 1.8" x 2.25" (131 x 49 x 60mm)
Weight:
8.8 ounces (250 grams)
'AA' model: 11.5oz (326 grams)
Temperature:
-20 to 150F (operating); -40 to 160F (storage)
Sealing:
Waterproof (submersible) & fogproof
Color/Finish:
Non-reflective black with hard coat finish
Adjustment (per click):
0.5" at 100 yards
Adjustment Range:
+/- 40 MOA travel
Mount:
1" Weaver dovetail/Picatinny rail (Mil spec 1913)
Return to Zero:
Repeatable to 1 MOA after remounting

Heads-Up Display Window

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Optical Surfaces: Anti-glare and scratch resistant coatings
Window Dimensions: 1.20" x 0.85" (30 x 23 mm)
Window Material: Shatterproof laminate (3/16" thick)
Field of view (100 yards): 30 yards (28m) at a 4" eye relief
Standard Reticle: 65MOA ring with quadrant ticks with a 1MOA Aiming dot
Reticle Contrast Ratio: 28,000:1 brightest to lowest
Night Vision Contrast Ratio: 10,000,000:1 with NV switch engaged

Electrical

Power Source: 2 x "N" alkaline batteries (available anywhere)
Battery Life: 70 hours at nominal setting 12 (AA batteries: 350 hrs)
Brightness Settings: 20 settings with scrolling feature
Auto Battery Check Indicator: Flashing reticle upon startup if batteries are at 20% of battery life.
Auto Shutdown: At 8 hours – programmable to 4 hours
[/i]

Link Posted: 11/25/2003 10:29:10 AM EDT
[#8]
I thought that there was a recent test that was posted where there was some paralax in the horizontal axis.

Not that it really matters.  It is nice to have, but you should always keep a good cheek weld and have the reticle centered.
Link Posted: 11/25/2003 10:39:03 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
I thought that there was a recent test that was posted where there was some paralax in the horizontal axis.

Not that it really matters.  It is nice to have, but you should always keep a good cheek weld and have the reticle centered.
View Quote

Yes, there was.  But again, unless I see it for myself or totally trust the tester to follow sound testing methods that would remove any possibility of tester error I still say it's [bs].  Also, the possibility of a flaw in the specific unit tested would have to be eliminated.
Link Posted: 11/26/2003 12:20:44 PM EDT
[#10]
It'll be a while but when I try mine out (maybe 3 months from now) I'll try shooting a group with the dot in the center RC, LC, LT, RT, LB, RB at 50yds, if I see no error at 50yds i'll rule it out.

base on simply looking at the sight (put it down and move your head in relation to the sight, the dot moves all over the place, do the same with an aimpoint and the dot won't move (it will stay on the same aiming  point).)

Based on that alone I suspect it.  but a simple test will either confirm or refute the point.
Link Posted: 11/26/2003 2:08:18 PM EDT
[#11]
I have an Eotech 552.  It is a very nice unit.

I also like the Aimpoints.  So go out and buy yourself another AR and equip that one with an Aimpoint.
Link Posted: 11/26/2003 2:25:29 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
I have an Eotech 552.  It is a very nice unit.

I also like the Aimpoints.  So go out and buy yourself another AR and equip that one with an Aimpoint.
View Quote

[LOLabove] [Arfcommer] "Get 'em both!" [/Arfcommer]
Link Posted: 11/26/2003 9:18:55 PM EDT
[#13]
Well the ODA(SF) and CIA guys use them so this should answer your question.
  FREE
Link Posted: 11/27/2003 4:57:06 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Well the ODA(SF) and CIA guys use them so this should answer your question.
  FREE
View Quote

I'll second that. If it's a good enough optic for a operator in the field, then it's a good enough optic for Quib!

But joking aside, I have one and I love it! Worth every penny, I do not regret buying it!

[img]http://www.hunt101.com/img/074656.jpg[/img]
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top