Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 11/19/2003 9:56:41 PM EDT
I've got an upper coming.  Thinking about a red dot.  What is your recommendation, and why?  Don't limit your opinions to red dots.  Weapon will be used as a short range fun/cqb.

Thanks!
Link Posted: 11/20/2003 4:46:05 PM EDT
[#1]
Go with the Aimpoint IMO
Link Posted: 11/20/2003 5:36:53 PM EDT
[#2]
Aimpoint for fun and hunting. A 1.5 magnification for hunting. It is a close range round, essentially a muzzle loader in terms of bullet weight and velocity.

Bob

Link Posted: 11/21/2003 6:27:42 AM EDT
[#3]
Aimpoint would be good.  Following the past response of 1.5 magnification, what about a Compact ACOG?
Link Posted: 11/21/2003 7:12:59 AM EDT
[#4]
The 1.5 I used was a variable that went up to 4x. The only time I used the magnification beyond the lowest setting was to check out a rack on the deer to see if I wanted to shoot it.

I think a compact ACOG would work but I have no experience with it. Although I wish I did...

Bob
Link Posted: 11/21/2003 8:28:33 AM EDT
[#5]
Thanks for the knowledge.  I've never owned an Aimpoint, so bear with me.

More questions...

I can't find an aimpoint with variable magnification on their website.  I'm kinda dim, am I missing something?  

I'm looking at the Comp ML2, as I have no need for NV, it is 1x1, right?  I know the 50AE is a short range round, but I would like to have something that will bring me closer. I would like to put the dot on the boiler room of a deer rather quickly out to 100-125 yards, and still be able to use the same optic for 50 yard bowling balls and pins.  You know, just short range blasting/breaking stuff...  Am I expecting/asking too much?

If you can, point me toward a variable power scope. Something in the 1x2 or 1x3 range would be wonderful.  Another ACOG?  My wallet is already screaming at me....  Not to mention the wife.  

If and when I order an Aimpoint, what will I need to mount it to a flat top upper?

I'm sure more questions will follow.

Thanks!
Tim
Link Posted: 11/21/2003 10:41:35 AM EDT
[#6]
I don't think Aimpoint makes any variables. My scope was a BSA "Cats Eye" with an illuminated reticule because the woods are so thick around here that you still can't find your cross haires sometimes well after legal light.

[img]http://www.ultout.com/images/22503.jpg[/img]

Cheaper than Dirt has it for $65.00 here: [url]http://www.cheaperthandirt.com/ctd/product.asp?dept%5Fid=180704&sku=22503&imgid=&mscssid=L80LKGCDDQQ89MFRM0WSR4WUBJCQB6S9[/url]

Hope this helps,

Bob

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top