Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 11/17/2003 8:11:30 AM EDT
Thanks for looking.

I have a Leupold 1" scope which I would like to outfit with QD system of some kind, so I can swap it between my AR and my Savage 22-250.

Could I get some kind of QD system that would work on both the piccatinny rail and a Savage Weaver base?

Any recommendations?
Link Posted: 11/17/2003 11:01:39 AM EDT
[#1]
Rings that fit on a Picatinney rail will also fit on a weaver base.  The dimensions are the same, except for the spacing of the cross-slots.  On a Weaver, they are usually only on slot is for each ring to be mounted, whereas the Picatinney has slots that are spaces about .5" apart regularly spaced all the way down the rail.  ARMS makes rings like that.  QD, strong, holds zero, though pricy.  

BTW, if you have one scope that you are swapping between a Bolt gun and an AR, the rings needed for them are different heights.  ARs typically need high rings to allow proper cheek weld whereas Bolt guns need lower type rings.  Also the scope will need to be zeroed everytime its placed from the AR to the bolt, and vice versa.  This would be a serious pain in the ass.  My suggestion is to save up for another scope altogether.  

Ghost
Link Posted: 11/17/2003 11:08:27 AM EDT
[#2]

BTW, if you have one scope that you are swapping between a Bolt gun and an AR, the rings needed for them are different heights.  ARs typically need high rings to allow proper cheek weld whereas Bolt guns need lower type rings.  Also the scope will need to be zeroed everytime its placed from the AR to the bolt, and vice versa.  This would be a serious pain in the ass.  My suggestion is to save up for another scope altogether.  

Ghost
View Quote

OF COURSE!!!  Geez, why didn't I think of that.

Thanks, Ghost!  I think you just saved me a big headache.

Link Posted: 11/17/2003 2:41:51 PM EDT
[#3]
No problem dude.  Glad to be of help.  Of course, I guess this now means you have to get another scope.[;)]  Methinks you've caught the bug [:D].  Have fun.  

Ghost  
Link Posted: 11/17/2003 5:02:45 PM EDT
[#4]
The rails are distinctly different, but it doesn't matter in many cases.

Picatinny rail is thicker (top to bottom) and wider (side to side) than generic Weaver rail. Adjustable mounts will usually work on both, but many won't. Cheap scope rings, for example, which use the same screws to hold the sight in the rings and clamp on the rail will leave the scope too loose because of the width of the  Picatinny rail, or you'll have to clamp them so tight you bend them.

Many mounts designed for the Picatinny rail won't fit in the narrow, shallow Weaver slots.

You can probably replace your Weaver rail with Picatinny.

-- Chuck
Link Posted: 11/17/2003 5:22:22 PM EDT
[#5]
WEAVER RAILS DO NOT HAVE ANY STANDARD DIMENTION!
MILSTANDARD 1913 WAS DEVELOPED TO GIVE RAILS A STANDARD FOR THE MILITARY!
THE CROSS NOTCHES ARE NOT THE MAIN ISSUE, THE DIMENTIONS OF THE DOVETAIL ANGLES FROM EACH OTHER IS THE CRITICAL ISSUE!
SOMEIMES WEAVER RAILS ARE CLOSE AND MIGHT EVEN WORK FOR SOME ATTACHMENTS, BUT YOU CAN'T COUNT ON IT, EXCEPT BY EXPERIMENTING WITH THAT PARTICULAR RAIL.
Good shootin, Jack
Link Posted: 11/17/2003 5:52:48 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
No problem dude.  Glad to be of help.  Of course, I guess this now means you have to get another scope.[;)]  Methinks you've caught the bug [:D].  Have fun.  

Ghost  
View Quote

Oh yeah, I've got it. I've got it bad!  My wife is concerned because I've got a $600 Leupold on my 22-250, so my AR probably won't have a Bushnell Sportview.  [:D]
Link Posted: 11/17/2003 6:07:23 PM EDT
[#7]
My ARMS 22 QD rings don't like ANY Weaver rails regardless which manufacturer.  They're happy only with Pic rails.
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top