Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 11/12/2003 1:47:10 PM EDT
Here's a topic that seems like a dead horse that was buried and dug up again to beat it some more...but what the hell, I gotta do it.

I've read a ton of info. on all of them and can't decide for 100% yet, so I need some help.

I'm leaning toward the compact ACOG.  Probably the TA-50R-2.  I like that it's magnified and I can mount it directly on the carrying handle (I like the look).  Plus I can buy the TA-60 mount for it if I want to put it on the flat top for a better check weld.

BTW- I have a standard RRA M4gery (A3 sights, 16" barrel).

However, the Aimpoint sounds promising because I have read that's it's easier to use than the ACOG.  Plus it is less expensive (although I'd have to pick up a mount for it).  Still, it's not magnified, and that might make the difference on my decision.

But on the other hand, I don't think I'll be shooting at much over 200 yds., so I'm not sure if the magnification would be worth it or not.

Other options are the EOTech and maybe the ATN Ultra, the later not as popular.  Anyone have experience with the Ultra?  The price is attractive.  The standard ACOG would be great (TA31 or 31A) but are just too expensive in my opinion--unless I can get a used one for cheaper.

Speaking of which, where's the best place to get one of these compact ACOG's?  I only found them at SWFA & Sable Co.  I've looked in the EE as well.  Does anyone know of other places?

Thanks for any comments in advance.

P.S. This is an awesome sight.  I spent 4 hrs. going through it last night.  Thanks to all for putting it together.
Link Posted: 11/12/2003 2:32:06 PM EDT
[#1]
Yep, this is one dead horse [;)].

Get an Aimpoint.  Rugged, reliable and easy to use.  

Don't buy an ACOG without trying it first, some people can not get the knack of the BAC.  The Eotech has its fan club and is not a bad choice either.
Link Posted: 11/12/2003 2:41:37 PM EDT
[#2]
Give it up dude.  Before its all over you'll own one of each.  Then you'll get them their own uppers.  Then you'll get sick of uppers laying around and buy the lowers to go with them...next thing you know you have 6 rifles that all need flashlights [shock]

That said, Aimpoint and ACOG TA31 are my prefered optics at this point.
Link Posted: 11/12/2003 4:44:46 PM EDT
[#3]
I'll tell you, it's freaking hell trying to decide what type of optic works best for yourself when you don't have any or little experience with them.
I went back and forth for months trying to decide what optic would be best for me and I have absolutely no experience with them at all.
I came to the conclusion that the Aimpoint was the one for me, hands down. I made my decision and was just about to put in an order for one. Then I started second guessing myself, again, and decided I really would like some magnification.
Soooooo I then decided that the Compact ACOG was the one I really wanted. The TA50R-2. Said friggit and put in my order. Hopefully in 20 weeks I'll have it. On backorder from Trijicon.
I still am not positive this is the right scope for me but if it isn't there's always the EE. Sometimes ya just gotta say what the fuck!
Link Posted: 11/12/2003 6:14:36 PM EDT
[#4]
M4bngr:  Where did order you Compact ACOG?  

I'll keep checking the EE, hopefully something comes up.  It seems that no one wants to give up their compact ACOG.  Hmmm...

If anyone knows a place that sells them new, please let me know.  Thanks.
Link Posted: 11/12/2003 11:09:12 PM EDT
[#5]
I was just like you about the Aimpoint.  I placed my order, read somemore, and then tried to cancel my order.  I could not cancel the order because it had already been shipped.  Well, I am EXTREMELY glad that I was unable to cancel the order.  The Aimpoint is abso-frickn'-lutely amazing.  It does not have a magnification but it is intended for a completely different purpose than long range shots.  It is awesome for quick target aquisition.  It is also very accurate out to 200-300 meters and you can easily shoot 1" shot groups with it at 100 meters.  And it is solid and rugged as a rock.  The battery will last for 1000 on its highest setting.  That is 41+ days continuous running on a single battery.  It is also maintenance free.  All you have to do from time to time is make sure the lenses are clean.  Cancel your order for the ACOG and get the Aimpoint.

Don't get me wrong, the ACOG's are awesome.  They are just used for a different purpose.  But if you have money to spare, get both.
Link Posted: 11/12/2003 11:20:14 PM EDT
[#6]
I would go with the Aimpoint.  For either a Comp ML2 or the Comp M2 and mount, it will run you a total of about $500.  I would get the ARMS mount by the way.  The Comp M2 is for use in combination with night vision monoculars.  If you aren't going to be using night vision get the ML2 (about $40 cheaper).  The Aimpoint is accurate, super high quality, extremely easy to use, maintenance free, and better for quick target acquisition.

Also, I would not get the ACOG because of what ACOG stands for; ACOG - [url=www.acog.com]American College of Obstetritians and Gynecologists[/url]

But seriously I would not stray from getting either an Aimpoint, an ACOG, or and EOTech.

Getting anyone of these will not disappoint you at all.
Link Posted: 11/13/2003 5:24:13 AM EDT
[#7]
Yeah, Lumpy's right. Once you are to the point that you are deciding between ACOGs and Aimpoints, you have black rifle disease to the extent you'll end up with both eventually anyway.

AR15s are like bacteria... you set down an extra firing pin and some spare pins in a bag just in case. Next time you look at it, there is a bolt, a cam pin and a full set of springs in there. Look again and it is a complete set of lower internals, a stripped A2 upper and a telestock. Pretty soon you have all but one part to build an entirely new rifle, so why not?

So you build the new rifle and you need new optics; but you already have a TA11...so why not an Aimpoint? Then you think, I'll switch out that grip to make the second rifle like the first... then the new pile of spare AR parts begins to mysteriously multiply again...
Link Posted: 11/13/2003 3:26:14 PM EDT
[#8]
Yea I know what you mean, ever since I got my EOTECH 552 my ammo seams to just evaperate or something .
Link Posted: 11/13/2003 6:48:24 PM EDT
[#9]
I ordered my Compact ACOG from Sableco, great price, but they needed a non-refundable 50% deposit.

Non of the places I checked have them(TA50R-2) they are all on back-order. Didn't want any other one, so now I wait.

Will still probably get an ML2 in the near future anyway.
Link Posted: 11/13/2003 7:00:52 PM EDT
[#10]
My self I took the TA31 off of my two uppers and gave the TA31 to a friend as I had no use for it away and then put the Aimpoints back on both uppers ...

Of course the "rest of the story" is that since it is deer season .. the M16 is put away and the flintlock is out to hunt with (think might be hitting the limits going between full auto and flint lock)  One the season is over, will be on the friends door step to get the TA31 back [:)]

If you do any shooting to speak of under 50 yards (and in particular under 20 yards) then I would start with an Aimpoint (or Eotech if you like that short of thing ....) on a flat top and then go from there.

Link Posted: 11/14/2003 10:41:52 AM EDT
[#11]
So if I go with the Aimpoint, would the ARMS 22M68 mount be a good choice?
Link Posted: 11/14/2003 11:09:00 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
So if I go with the Aimpoint, would the ARMS 22M68 mount be a good choice?
View Quote

That with the cantilever spacer or the Knight's Offset mount are my prefered Aimpoint mounts.
Link Posted: 11/14/2003 7:41:43 PM EDT
[#13]
Everything is a matter of perspective... Dont mistake the magnification of AOCGs as something only useful for long range. Thats a mistake. Magnification helps at mid ranges too. Even some at close range depending on what you are doing. And with the BAC of the ACOGs, its not something that gets in the way of close range shooting like most magnified optics.

It is good that you have been made aware of the learning curve between Aimpoints and ACOGs as well. It is certsainly true that almost anyone can pick up an Aimpoint and make the hits they want to. It is certainly true that an ACOG is not something you can pick up right away and master. But this does not mean the ACOG is hard to get used to. It just takes some more trigger time and understanding of how a magnified optic works.

Im not telling you to get the ACOG. Im just saying that magnification can be helpful in more instances than just long range shooting, and that they are not that hard to use.
Link Posted: 11/16/2003 3:50:48 PM EDT
[#14]
Just like Lumpy said, "before it's all over you'll own one of each."  One day I'm sure.

But for now--I'll have an Aimpoint.

I'm getting a ML2, and I'm going to put it on a flattop w/ an ARMS 22M68 w/ the extension (cantilever spacer).  I'll use the ARMS #40 BUIS as well. Looks like MSTN is going to hook me up.

I can't wait.  I've seen some pictures with this same setup, and I couldn't stop drooling.  It is going to look sweet on my RRA M4.

Thanks to everyone for their advice.
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top