Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 11/10/2003 8:56:02 AM EDT
I will be using irons until I can save up the cash for either the Aimpoint or EO tech.  From all I have read the Arms 40a should work fine.  Any other suggestions are welcome.

Thanks!
Link Posted: 11/10/2003 9:07:25 AM EDT
[#1]
ARMS #40 with the A2 aperture.  Period.

As for having only irons.. GREAT.  Practice, get well aquainted with them, irons rock.  Hold off on that EOTech or Aimpoint until you get really good with the irons.  Personally I'm going to get a combat light before I get a red dot sight.

Irons are the fundamentals, the basics and everyone should know how to use them WELL.
Link Posted: 11/10/2003 9:30:27 AM EDT
[#2]
Do a search and I would suspect you will see that we cover this topic more than once a month on average. I would also suspect that you will see the ARMS #40 is suggested at a rate of about 10 to 1. I tend to agree with that particular average.
Link Posted: 11/10/2003 3:05:40 PM EDT
[#3]
For a different opinion...

In my book no back up iron sight that needs to be flipped up is good enough. First way too many moving parts. As an engineer I understand that every moving part is a point of failure - so no moving parts would make a perfect sight.

I will settle for nothing short of perfect as I am willing to bet, to risk my life, on the sight.

Time. When you're on the range putting holes at 100.00 yards sitting in the shade shooting off sandbags piled on the bench you have lots of time. When you're getting shot at time is something you don't have. A flip up sight requires time to flip - you have to take you hand off the weapon at a minumim ... your eyes even worse.

Murphy's law of combat says that while you're flipping your rear sight into place that the other guy isn't and is busy shooting you.

Finally an iron sight already sitting in place gives feedback that the red dot and iron sights are inline - either they both failed in the same direction in the same ammount or they are still zeroed.
Link Posted: 11/10/2003 3:42:59 PM EDT
[#4]
ARMS # 40, as rugged as you can get and down out of the way and not subject to being damaged since it is locked, but fast as a trigger to release. IMO
Jack
Link Posted: 11/10/2003 7:25:17 PM EDT
[#5]
[url="http://www.hunt101.com/?p=57457&c=500&z=1"][img]http://www.hunt101.com/img/057457.gif[/img][/url]

ARMS 40

Joe
Link Posted: 11/11/2003 12:13:34 AM EDT
[#6]
For a folding BUIS: ARMS #40A

For a NON-folding BUIS: the LMT

I'm biased as hell though, because I've owned 2 #40s, and currently own an LMT. Either way, it pays to get the best.
Link Posted: 11/11/2003 1:21:13 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
For a folding BUIS: ARMS #40A

For a NON-folding BUIS: the LMT

View Quote

with the KAC 300m and a cut carry handle running distant 3rd and 4th.
Link Posted: 11/11/2003 3:35:28 AM EDT
[#8]
KAC 600m.  Adjustable for both wideage [b]AND[/b] elevation.
Link Posted: 11/11/2003 4:22:22 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
KAC 600m.  Adjustable for both wideage [b]AND[/b] elevation.
View Quote

Like the KAC 600 meter sight myself (have one on an 20" HBAR), with in it's limits, as is the only (common) folding BUIS with a range of elevation adjustments (the ARMS #40 has the two or three options of the various apperatures).

However, the KAC 600 sight having only the small apperature from the factor* does limit the use at closer distances and/or for fast shooting (as could be expected in a real world or action match usage for the typical BUIS).  

Regards
John

* Had one discussion on if would be possible to instal something along the lines of a NM insert in the KAC 600, similar to the KAC 300 - except threaded.

Link Posted: 11/11/2003 6:13:27 AM EDT
[#10]
I have an ARMS 40 and a Bushmaster flip-up.  I like them both.  The one thing I do NOT like about the ARMS 40 is that it will not fold down if the small aperture is flipped up.  In other words, the sight has two apertures, one with a large hole and one with a smaller hole for more precise shooting.  If the small aperture is being used and you try to fold down the sight, you can't; the ring with the larger hole is in the way.  This sucks.  The Bushy sight does not have this problem.

Other than that, I like the ARMS 40 just fine.  It does seem to be the preferred sight on this board.

The Bushy sight is on a carbine with an Aimpoint.  When I shoot this rifle I almost always flip the BUIS up.  The Bushy sight locks in place; it’s not spring-loaded like the ARMS.  Most guys feel the ARMS is quicker to flip up because its spring loaded.  Being a fraction of a second quicker to flip up isn’t a big deal if the sight is used in the up position from the get go.  

Some guys will argue that if something snags the Bushy sight it might damage the sight or cause other problems.  If something snags the ARMS, it will fold down and then just pop back up.  This is a nice bonus of the ARMS.

All this said, the next time I need to buy a BUIS, I’ll probably just get another ARMS 40.
Link Posted: 11/11/2003 6:33:26 AM EDT
[#11]
Here's a ARMS #40A with the OKO sight.  I like the 40A personally

[img]http://pic4.picturetrail.com/VOL51/1049090/1964788/37851934.jpg[/img]
Link Posted: 11/11/2003 7:52:16 AM EDT
[#12]
- another vote for the ARMS #40
Link Posted: 11/11/2003 9:59:53 AM EDT
[#13]
Simply put, The ARMS #40A
Link Posted: 11/11/2003 2:39:14 PM EDT
[#14]
The #40 was designed as a true back up sight for troops in a QCB situation. Hence a young soldier can only have it folded in the down position so that if he needs it in a hurry, the correct aperature is what comes up for close in fighting.
Anyone can reverse the sight to always have it pop up with the small aperature if they desire, but then it wouldn't be like the same aperatures are set up in the std. issue M16A2's.
Good shootin, Jack
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top