Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 9/22/2003 4:48:00 PM EDT
Anyone seen one?

Carl Zeiss Sports Optics announces an innovative, fast-action sight with the introduction of the Z-Point Sight. Designed for use on a variety of firearms, the Z-Point allows for lightening fast target acquisition when speed in sighting is critical.

While the Z-Point comes in a compact package, performance is optimal. With dimensions of only 1.75" high, 1.4" wide and 2.5" long, the Z-Point will complement any shooting style at short ranges. Particularly well suited for shotguns, rifles and handguns, the Z-Point is also ideal for law-enforcement use on sub-machine guns and short-barreled entry type firearms systems. The Z-Point mounts to all firearms through the use of a M1913 Picatinny rail system. Windage and elevation adjustments can be made with the set screws on the front of the unit.

The black plastic housing encompasses a simple red diode acting as the sight. Depending on the diode brightness required, the de-mounted push button may be pressed to select average, lower or higher brightness. The most unique feature of the Z-Point is the hybrid energy supply. Not only does the unit operate from a standard 3 volt Lithium battery, but also there is a solar cell in the top of the housing allowing for use of the Z-Point for extended periods of time. The Z-Point is also completely waterproof.

Whether for short distance brush hunting with a rifle, pistol target practice, or use on shotguns using slug ammunition, the Z-Point is a featherweight at only 3.5 ounces. Combined with its weight, its highly compact profile makes the Z-Point an excellent choice for tactical use as well. Whatever your shooting style, you will be impressed with the versatility of this very simple sight.

Available in August for a suggested retail price of $449.99, the Z-Point is a sight for use by any class of shooter.

Specifications
Height (above rail) 39mm/1.5 in
Height 44.5mm/1.75 in
Width 36mm
Length 63.5mm/2.5in
Weight 100g/3.52 oz
Mounting Snap on Clamping to M1913 Picatinny rail mount.
Field of View 61.67ft/328ft.
Waterproof Yes
Warranty 5 Year Transferable Warranty
Model Number 521698

Link Posted: 9/22/2003 5:37:37 PM EDT
[#1]
I wouldn't have one, simply because of the miniscule lens. The photo-electric illumination for the reticle may be a good idea, though.
Link Posted: 9/22/2003 8:12:50 PM EDT
[#2]
Plastic body,it has only 3 settings for brightness, seems expensive, and makes no mention of battery life. I also have concerns about how rugged the mount is. On the other hand, it does look pretty compact. I'm sure somebody will buy it and let us know how it performs.
Link Posted: 9/22/2003 8:26:51 PM EDT
[#3]
I've never seen a product with Zeiss stamped on it that wasn't quality and well thought out.

I've been thinking about buying my dad an AR. He's an accuracy nut and has rifles worth more than most cars and everything has Zeiss or Schmidt&Bender glass on it. I wonder if I should get him an M4 with one of these or a Varminter.... but then I have to get him good glass on it....
Link Posted: 9/22/2003 8:36:12 PM EDT
[#4]
What kind of front signature- Can the enemy see a red glow from your sight?   [X]
Link Posted: 9/22/2003 9:10:51 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 9/23/2003 2:59:57 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
"Hey guys, can we have this battle later?  I need to set my rifle out in the sun for a few hours to charge up the sight, 'cause I left in on last night..."

No thanks.

-Troy
View Quote

Exactly.  Aimpoint! [:D]

Thell, I said the same thing about Leupold until I saw that useless brick they made for ARs.
Link Posted: 9/23/2003 4:08:41 AM EDT
[#7]
Actually the solar cell apparently serves only as a supplemental energy source, to make the lithium cell last longer.  Lithium cells aren't rechargeable.  Push button intensity adjustements...Yeckk!
Link Posted: 9/23/2003 8:20:35 AM EDT
[#8]
I've never seen a product with Zeiss stamped on it that wasn't quality and well thought out.
View Quote

My exact sentiment!  Both my victory and classic binoculars from Zeiss are superlative.
Link Posted: 9/23/2003 8:29:22 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
"Hey guys, can we have this battle later?  I need to set my rifle out in the sun for few hours to charge up the sight, 'cause I left in on last night..."

No thanks.

-Troy
View Quote

Of course the opposite of this would be... "Hey guys, can we have this battle later? I need to run down to a 24 hour quickie shop and buy more batteries to replace the dead ones in my sight, 'cause I put in weak ones and they only lasted a few days..."

Same difference, foolish statement either way
Link Posted: 9/23/2003 8:31:22 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Actually the solar cell apparently serves only as a supplemental energy source, to make the lithium cell last longer.  Lithium cells aren't rechargeable.  Push button intensity adjustements...Yeckk!
View Quote

Actually lithium batteries are rechargeable, I have them for my digital camera, and I'm sure lots of laptop users have them today as well.. [:)]
Link Posted: 9/23/2003 9:06:15 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote

Actually lithium batteries are rechargeable, I have them for my digital camera, and I'm sure lots of laptop users have them today as well.. [:)]
View Quote

Actually, primary lithium batteries are not rechargeable.  They contain an electrolyte that causes the lithium to essentially dissolve to release its energy (for example, thionyl chloride).  These types of batteries use a lithium metal anode and a liquid electrolyte.  If you attempt to recharge them, you can create deposits of lithium which then create an internal short circuit between the electrodes and can lead to an explosion.  Secondary lithium ion batteries are rechargeable and they differ by replacing the metal electrode with one composed of an oxide that contains lithium.  
Link Posted: 9/23/2003 9:16:00 AM EDT
[#12]
H&K had one of these on an MP7 at this year's SHOT Show (before some fucker stole it; sometimes QD is not a good thing).

It was an impressive piece of kit (construction, clarity, dot acquisition) but I was looking at it as a "bridge" between the weight/ruggedness of an Aimpoint, and the fragility/ergonomics of rail-mounting an Optima or similar. Perfect for a low profile protection-detail type gun or lightweight carbine. I liked it, and would have one if and when they come out... But that's just me.

Clint
Link Posted: 9/23/2003 10:01:43 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Actually, primary lithium batteries are not rechargeable.  They contain an electrolyte that causes the lithium to essentially dissolve to release its energy (for example, thionyl chloride).  These types of batteries use a lithium metal anode and a liquid electrolyte.  If you attempt to recharge them, you can create deposits of lithium which then create an internal short circuit between the electrodes and can lead to an explosion.  Secondary lithium ion batteries are rechargeable and they differ by replacing the metal electrode with one composed of an oxide that contains lithium.  
View Quote

So which part of Lithium Ion doesn't contain 'lithium' and is different then the rechargeable *lithium* batteries I described?
Link Posted: 9/23/2003 10:30:54 AM EDT
[#14]
I shot one of the HK MP7 with one of those on it, I do prefer the EOTech or Aimpoint option.  It does how ever make a cute little back up sight for an optic platform like the SPR.  It is compact and will do the job like the Doctor optic.

Link Posted: 9/23/2003 12:40:25 PM EDT
[#15]
The definition of a secondary battery is "rechargeable". Primary batteries, by definition, are not capable of being recharged easily or effectively. So saying "primaries are not rechargeable" and "secondaries are rechargeable" is redundant.

Also, there are Li metal anode secondaries. And you are apparently thinking of the cathode when claiming that the Li metal anode is replaced by a lithium oxide material. Typically, the Li metal anode is replaced by a graphitic carbon anode, into which Li ions intercalate.

jvn

Link Posted: 9/23/2003 3:40:26 PM EDT
[#16]
See comments in this thread

http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=3&f=18&t=169505&w=searchPop

looks are deceiving
Link Posted: 9/24/2003 5:33:16 AM EDT
[#17]
[url]http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=3&f=18&t=169505&w=searchPop[/url]
Link Posted: 9/24/2003 12:40:21 PM EDT
[#18]
Unless the thing sells for $1200 you people (you know who you are) aren't going to buy it.

Plastic on firearms is good only for pistol grips, shoulder stocks and hand grips - not for cars (Aztec's), pistols (glocks), or weapon sights [;)]
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top