Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 9/18/2003 6:37:48 AM EDT
I have read many topics on Acog's, some discussing TA-31 vs TA-11, amber vs red etc...

Well I am still confused about one thing, the TA-31 & TA-11 series seems to be the top performers and then there are the compact Acog's.

My question: what would be the reasons for selecting a compact Acog vs full size ? Is $$ the determining factor or do the compacts offer something the full size don't ??
Link Posted: 9/18/2003 10:27:59 AM EDT
[#1]
They are a lot smaller and lighter which might be nice on a lightweight Carbine.  They are also considerably cheaper.  The sight picture is also less cluttered with range finding hokum.
Link Posted: 9/18/2003 7:34:35 PM EDT
[#2]
I like the compacts, because they are smaller, cheaper (not by much), and lighter. I don't get to shoot past 200yds, so the extra magnification is really not needed. Determine what you want to use the scope for, then decide which will best suit your needs.

Steve.
Link Posted: 9/18/2003 8:35:57 PM EDT
[#3]
Compacts are great on top of carry handles in my opinion. They are also simpler with less magnification and no BDC. This simplicity is both an advantage and a limitation. Depending upon your needs and environment.
Link Posted: 9/19/2003 5:12:21 AM EDT
[#4]
Thanks guys,

new-arguy, I saw some of your pics with the Compact ACOG on the carry handle and it does look right at home.

This scope purchase is for my 14.5" M4 flattop and since this will be my first ACOG I will likely go with the TA-11, I will be able to swap it over to the SPR when needed. These scope are darn expensive here ~1,600$cdn and compacts ~1,100$ so if weight is the biggest consideration I will go with the higher performer for this one.
Link Posted: 9/19/2003 12:14:46 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Well I am still confused about one thing, the TA-31 & TA-11 series seems to be the top performers and then there are the compact Acog's.

My question: what would be the reasons for selecting a compact Acog vs full size ? Is $$ the determining factor or do the compacts offer something the full size don't ??
View Quote

I only have a full size version and it is still bright when all my regular scopes go dark as the sun goes down.

How does the compact perform in low light conditions? Does anybody have both for comparison?

Link Posted: 9/19/2003 9:15:03 PM EDT
[#6]
I have both but have actually never used my Compact at night. I cant imagine that it would be as good in the evening as the full size though. The objective lens is much smaller.
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top