Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 9/3/2003 12:35:28 PM EDT
Hi, I was just looking around at different red dot scopes and I really don't know anything about them because I'm just getting into this black rifle thing. Anyway, I have no idea what makes one good and one bad, but I was looking at Cabelas for them and saw the Aimpoints. I see them mentioned on here a lot, so I assume that they are good, but what I don't understand is why some of Cabelas other aimpoints have adjustable reticles that can be adjusted to even smaller than the Aimpoint...at least from Cabela's description. The Aimpoints on their site claim 4MOA, and they have some others that go down to 1MOA. Are these just lesser quality Aimpoints than what most people are talking about here, or are there other factors, such as brightness, batterylife, etc. that still make the Aimpoint worth the extra money? Here is the webpage I am looking at: http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templates/index/index-display.jhtml?id=cat320001&navAction=jump&navCount=8&parentId=cat20712&parentType=category&rid=&_DARGS=%2Fcabelas%2Fen%2Fcommon%2Fcatalog%2Fcategory-link.jhtml_A&_DAV=MainCatcat20712

Thanks for the help.

P.S. I don't want to spend a lot of money. Also, what can possibly make the ACOG's by Trijicon so freakin' expensive? Are they night vision or something?
Link Posted: 9/3/2003 1:06:32 PM EDT
[#1]
Certain Aimpoints are military grade (called the Comp M2), but the ones from that Cabela's page are not.  Aimpoints Comp M2s are favored here because they are rugged, have good controls, have numerous available good mounts, and have long battery lives.  That may not necessarily be true for lesser Aimpoints like the ones for sale at Cabela's.

The cheaper dot scopes on that page will be less rugged, have shorter battery lives, etc.

Cabela's has pretty high prices.  Check out SWFA, MidwayUSA, or Midsouth Shooting Supply.

If you do not need a scope that your life is going to depend on, you don't necessarily need an Aimpoint.

I think the ACOGs are so expensive because there is no real competition.  No one else is offering a dual illumination battery free magnified scope.  Plus the ACOGs have pretty good glass.
Link Posted: 9/3/2003 2:50:16 PM EDT
[#2]
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top