Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 7/19/2003 3:31:10 AM EDT
Anyone have experience with this sight?  It's 199.99, and features a see through mount with a rear peep sight & a weaver style scope mount on top.
Link Posted: 7/19/2003 4:26:47 AM EDT
[#1]
Its probably the most retarded optical platform created for an AR15. Please, please get something else. Anything else. It puts your rear iron sight apperature way to far away from your eye for absolutely no good reason and puts the mounting rail much higher than necessary. Just say no.
Link Posted: 7/19/2003 9:17:02 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 7/20/2003 4:20:24 AM EDT
[#3]
So what would you recommend?  I want to mount a 10X for long range stuff, but would like to be able to use open sights for close up stuff.
Link Posted: 7/20/2003 6:29:40 AM EDT
[#4]
How long is long range? If you wanted to keep access to irons and have a high power optic I'd just recomend using a cary handle mount. With the optic up that high its not the best solution, but at least you rear sight will be where it needs to be and not so far forward.
Link Posted: 7/20/2003 6:29:43 AM EDT
[#5]
Is your rifle a flattop?  

If it is, you could get a detachable carry-handle/rear sight and then mount a see through scope mount (like the DPMS) on it for your 10x scope.    
Link Posted: 7/20/2003 10:00:57 AM EDT
[#6]
Why, it's easy, get an ARMS #38, #22 QD rings and you're all set, just make sure the scope clears the backup iron on the #38, don't make the same mistake I did [BD]
Got a #38 for the SN4 just to realize the scope doesn't clear its BUIS (if I move the scope forward ahead of the BUIS it would be fine, but then I'd have to crank my neck in an unnatural position to use the scope, doesn't work for me), and had to get a #36 instead.
[img]www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid70/p7b3679c3bfa6dc9f6f3bb155f77dbde1/fba2a17d.jpg[/img]

On another setup I used the #38, and #22 high rings with a Leupold VeriX III and it was perfect.
Link Posted: 7/20/2003 6:29:35 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Its probably the most retarded optical platform created for an AR15. Please, please get something else. Anything else. It puts your rear iron sight apperature way to far away from your eye for absolutely no good reason and puts the mounting rail much higher than necessary. Just say no.
View Quote

Anothert Terrible design. Goes in the trash heap with the Leupold CQT.
Link Posted: 7/23/2003 1:26:02 AM EDT
[#8]
Or maybe I should just forget about using both at once.  My rifle is a flat top.  I was hoping to use the scope for 150 yards +, sights for everything else.
Link Posted: 7/23/2003 1:37:13 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
How long is long range? If you wanted to keep access to irons and have a high power optic I'd just recomend using a cary handle mount. With the optic up that high its not the best solution, but at least you rear sight will be where it needs to be and not so far forward.
View Quote

But it would still mount your optic pretty high above the bore.  I have never seen a good way to get extreme long range accuracy and still retain effective use of the rifle for CQB and normal engagement distances.  It is either have a dedicated sharpshooter or have a combat effective weapon.

The only truly viable option is to get a  ARMS throw lever mount for your scope and a flip-up rear sight.  This way, if the engagemet distaces fell below 100meters, you could flip the throw lever and flip up the BUIS and have iron sights for close encounters.

This would be the best choice for range work too, as it seems you want to mount and remove the scope often.  the throw lever mounts are the easiest way to do this and probably the best way to retain zero with a scope.

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top