Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 7/11/2003 6:28:40 PM EDT
Hey everyone, I'm about ready to purchase the new Savage rifle in .223, and am looking to put some glass on it.  I am not looking to spend a fortune on a leupold, but I am looking for a nice scope that will be good enough for basic shooting.  If I am 1/4 inch off its alright with me.  

I found a Millet Buck Gold series scope for a really good price, and was wondering if anyone has experience with them.  I have heard wonderful things about their red dots in terms of durability.

Whats your opinions?  Any other exceptional scopes under 250 dollars out there?

Thanks for your help guys.  I'm virgin to scopes...atleast anything over a rimfire scope.
Link Posted: 7/11/2003 9:01:29 PM EDT
[#1]
No experience with Millet, but you might want to post the model of the scope you're looking at, along with the power,size, etc, so we can compare apples to apples.

I've got a Weaver Grand Slam that's really good, it's 6x20x40; it's a little more $$ than you wanted, but the lower magnifications ones will be right in your price range.  The 3x10x40 is $249.99 at SWFA, for example.  

The Simmons Aetec scopes have a few fans here as well, and they're a little bit less than the Grand Slam.  
Link Posted: 7/12/2003 5:36:15 AM EDT
[#2]
The scope is a Buck Gold 3-9x44 by Millet.  They normally retail for about 220, and I found one for 126 bucks.

If its a decent optic...
Link Posted: 7/12/2003 5:49:39 AM EDT
[#3]
Alright, you got me looking at simmons...

The model I am looking at now, is a Simmons 44 Mag series scope, 6.5-20x44.  Adjustable objective, target turrets and 1/8th MOA adjustment.

I know its not the Aetec, so I have to atleast post on it.  They currently have it on sale for 144 dollars.
Link Posted: 7/14/2003 10:04:30 PM EDT
[#4]
I've been using a Simmons Pro Hunter 6x18x40something on one of my ARs for a while...I've shot a number of 1/2" groups with that rifle.  I've never had any problem with it fogging up, loosing zero, or anything.  I think that one was under $100.  As a matter of fact, I *think* that scope is now on my Model 12FV in .223.  (I change stuff around so much, I can't remember who's on first lol.)

I would definitely rank Simmons above Tasco and BSA in quality...I'd love to get one of the Aetecs to try out when I have a few more $$.  Anyway, good luck...I'm always juggling optics for as many rifles as I have, vs quality.  I'd get 2 or 3 more Grand Slams if I could afford them, trust me.  

For $126, though, you might have to take a shot at it...I'm pretty sure Millet will be a few rungs higher on the optics evolutionary ladder than Simmons, although if you read the user input regarding the Aetecs, a lot of people are mentioning them in the same sentence as Leupold.  

Midway has pretty good prices on the Bushnell Elite 3200s...I think they have a 3x9 Mil Dot one for $179 dealer price...hat might be another one to consider.  
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top