Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 6/27/2003 5:24:30 PM EDT
Hi,
I do not have experience and would appreciate advice and comments about the topic above.

I notice by photos posted here and in other places that some people mount their Aimpoints as forward as possible on the rifles, whereas other mount them more rearwards, like a normal scope.

Any advantage on either one?

Thanks in advance!

Link Posted: 6/27/2003 6:59:06 PM EDT
[#1]
Getting the dot as far from your eye as possible makes both eyes open shooting easier, which makes target acquisition and transition faster.  Putting it close to your eye negates much of this.

Swan sleeve will position the sight over the handguards and leave room at the rear for a fixed rear sight.

-- Chuck
Link Posted: 6/27/2003 7:37:58 PM EDT
[#2]
Mine is positioned at the farthest point on the flattop rail.  I use the ARMS #22M68 mount and it works great shooting both eyes open.  I have never tried an extended mount.
Link Posted: 6/27/2003 8:24:01 PM EDT
[#3]
I swim against the tide on this, but mine is mounted 1/3 past the delta ring on an ARMS 22M68 Extended mount.  Further forward negatively effects the rifle's balance to me.  And despite what others have stated, with [b]my eyes[/b] I can detect NO difference in my ability to acquire or focus on the dot, nor with both eyes open do I experience any loss of field of view with it mounted further back on the reciever.

To each his own. Everyones eyes and focal points are different.  Id beg to differ with anyone that says I dont have the ability to rapidly and accurately make hits with my Aimpoint right here:

[img]http://photos.ar15.com/WS_Content/ImageGallery/Attachments/DownloadAttach.asp?sAccountUnq=24926&iGalleryUnq=235&iImageUnq=12668[/img]
Link Posted: 6/27/2003 8:54:19 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 6/29/2003 5:36:43 PM EDT
[#5]
Thanks a lot for the replies.  Mine should arrive soon and I'll check these positions.
Cheers!
Link Posted: 6/29/2003 5:58:39 PM EDT
[#6]
Here I go defying conventional wisdom...  I like my Aimpoint set back over the receiver.  Works for me.  Tried it the other way and I just prefer it centered over the receiver.

[img]http://photos.ar15.com/ImageGallery/Attachments/DownloadAttach.asp?iImageUnq=14184[/img]
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top