Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 6/23/2003 10:59:49 PM EDT
I did after some rough handling playing hard on the range.  The front cover lost all tension and would not flip down on its own.  I found an easy fix.

The cap flips open from tension from a spring inside the cover's cap.  Its a coiled spring with two bent ends.  One is bent back over the main coils of the spring, and locks into a comma shaped hole in the side of the cap.  The other arm is bent out and over to press into a notch on the ring that goes around the Aimpoint body.  I managed to stretch the hook of the comma shaped hole to where the spring hook would not lock into it.  It spun freely around the pin that attaches the cap to the ring.

The fix was easy.  I pushed the stainless cap pin out with a small pin punch.  It has one end ringed slightly thicker to bite into one of the pivot points so it doesn't work its way out.  I removed the spring and bent outward at a 45 degree angle the shorter arm that locks into the comma shaped detent on the cap.  This allowed it to dig back into the plastic of the cover and hold its position.  I repositioned the cover, making sure the spring's other arm that puts tension on the cap was resting in its detent slot on the ring, lined up the holes and reinserted the retaining pin from the opposite side it came out from, so that the wider end would have fresh plastic to bite into.

Fixed it.  The cap now snaps back open as it did when it was new.

Hard to visualize without taking the thing apart (DON'T do it unless you have to).

Moral of the story.  S*** happens to hard-use guns.
Link Posted: 6/23/2003 11:39:47 PM EDT
[#1]
Thanks for the tip! Mine is also doing this now, gotta fix this soon.
Link Posted: 6/24/2003 6:30:04 AM EDT
[#2]
Lumpy, are you saying "...would not flip DOWN on its own..." as in, had those caps been mounted in the upward (factory Pos.) they either not flip up, or if they broke at the wrong time, they'd flip down to cover the lens?

ie. you turned your caps upside down from their original pos.?  right?

This post is an important one.  Those springs can and will "go".  And they'll do it at the worst time.
Flip 'em, so if the spring does "go" it'll leave the cap open, instead of over your lens.
Worst case one can use the BAC feature, but the prob. could be disorienting in the WCS.

Thanks for the "fix" too.
Sul2
Link Posted: 6/24/2003 8:36:19 AM EDT
[#3]
My lense covers are mounted to flip downward and out of the field of view.

[img]http://photos.ar15.com/WS_Content/ImageGallery/Attachments/DownloadAttach.asp?sAccountUnq=24926&iGalleryUnq=235&iImageUnq=12668[/img]

The cover would flip down (there was still SOME spring tension) but would stop about 1/8" from resting on the top of the RAS.  A little upward pressure and it would move up and obscure the bottom 1/3 of the sight picture.
Link Posted: 6/24/2003 11:21:52 AM EDT
[#4]
I had this happen to mine and I called Aimpoint and they sent me new covers.
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top