Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 5/31/2003 8:36:09 AM EDT
Will the shortest extension SWAN sleeve (ARMS38EX) fit on a flat top M4 upper with the M4 hand guards installed?

Thanks
John
Link Posted: 5/31/2003 2:08:55 PM EDT
[#1]

no, not without filing away about 3/16" of the plastic on the top handguard.  

if you haven't bought the 38EX yet, check out the new ARMS cantilever extension.  the cantilever extension replaces the spacer usually used with the 22M68, and gets the aimpoint further forward.  the new extension is described in a post by MSTN in the optics forum and also in the EE forum.  if you are not mounting an aimpoint, sorry, disregard.

jim aka ar-jedi
Link Posted: 5/31/2003 3:28:13 PM EDT
[#2]
Thanks for the information, kept me from picking up an extension SWAN rail as an experment.

Mounting an Aimpong M2 on a M4 upper and trying to decide between the ARMs system (possible the cantilever mount) and the Knights system.

ARMS - large rear appearature for 0-2, spring loaded rear sigh and nice lever mounting system.

Knights - Like the 600 meter sight having range adjustments.
Link Posted: 6/9/2003 12:56:43 PM EDT
[#3]
I just finished mounting my ARMS #38 S-Ex on my Colt M4 with the M4 handguards. I did have to remove a bit of the nearest end of the top handguard to get it to fit. I used a finishing sander and only had to remove the ridges about 1.5" nearest the shooter.

With the ARMS mount installed you obviously can't see it. Even with them off, it still looks ok once I cleaned it up.

See for yourself:

[img]http://home.insightbb.com/~karlknapp2/Colt02.jpg[/img]
Link Posted: 6/10/2003 5:05:30 AM EDT
[#4]
With the Swan sleeve you can't wrap your hand around the entire handguard anyway, so the top handguard is moot.  Use a lower profile handguard if you don't want to modify the M4 handguard.

M4 handguard is cosmetic on a semiautomatic weapon anyway.

-- Chuck
Link Posted: 6/10/2003 5:12:42 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Thanks for the information, kept me from picking up an extension SWAN rail as an experment.

Mounting an Aimpong M2 on a M4 upper and trying to decide between the ARMs system (possible the cantilever mount) and the Knights system.

ARMS - large rear appearature for 0-2, spring loaded rear sigh and nice lever mounting system.

Knights - Like the 600 meter sight having range adjustments.
View Quote

With the ARMS cantilever extension described by ar-jedi, you could use either the ARMS 40 or the KAC 600m BUIS.

However, you may want to do some research before purchasing the 600m.  I was planning on it for the exact same application (in conjunction with an Aimpoint), but got several replies suggesting that this sight had been dropped in favor of the 300m or the ARMS 40, at least on carbine (M4 or other) rifles because of the lack of real use of that size rifle beyond 300m.
Link Posted: 6/10/2003 5:39:56 AM EDT
[#6]
Got to take a closer look a tht 600 meter sight (still thinking might be an option for the Shrike), however, for the M4 like the larger apperature of the ARMS or MAD sights (the 300 meter with out the insert works, but do not like swaping plastic parts in the field).

Other question for everyone, is you are not using night vision, is there any real reason to foward mount the M2.

Thanks
John
Link Posted: 6/10/2003 1:34:42 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 6/10/2003 9:55:45 PM EDT
[#8]
Thanks for the info.  Would like to get recommenations on how far foward, in particular experences with various trade offs (i.e speed, carrying etc.)?

[b]Known Options Are:[/b]

Mount to the front of the flat top (A3) -(current)

Gain a couple addtional inches foward using one of the cantilever mounts or the medium SWAN rail (2nd to smallest).

Move even closer to the front sight by mounting over / on the hand guard using a long SWAN rail or one of the rail front hand guards (possible floating).

Thanks
John
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top