Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 1/3/2003 10:31:02 PM EDT
I have been debating the advantages of an A4 vs A2 style upper for my first AR15.  I am interested being able to mount a medium power scope (say 4x-7x or thereabouts) and would like backup iron sights, thus favoring the A2.  The problem is I like to have a very solid stock weld to my cheek when using a scope but that does not seem to be an option with a scope on the A2. Any recommendations on my dilema?
Link Posted: 1/3/2003 10:38:08 PM EDT
[#1]
Do a flat top. You can do anythinf you want then. My second AR is a flat top and I wish my first one was as well. But BEWARE ... not all flat tops are made "mil-spec" in the top reil dementions. And then you have problems mounting optics. Just get a Bushmaster and problem solved.
Link Posted: 1/3/2003 10:51:30 PM EDT
[#2]
Dawg,

I bought the A2 upper on my Bushmaster and now wish I hadn't.  There's nothing wrong with having the carry handle, but it definately limits my scope options while maintaining a good cheek weld.  Pick up the flat top and get some type of flip-up rear iron sight.
Just so you know, I'm planning to send mine back to Bushmaster to have them replace my A2 with an A3 upper.  I'm also planning on putting an [url=http://mstn.biz/detail.asp?product_id=ARMS-40]ARMS #40[/url] on there.

[size=1]Edited to add link.[/size=1]
E-95
Link Posted: 1/4/2003 12:07:50 AM EDT
[#3]
I have to sound out as well.  I have an A2 BM 16" upper and wished that I had gotten an A3 instead.  I'm looking around for one now.  It's the same thing with another buddy of mine, has an A2, wishes he bought an A3.

If you really really want that carry handle, you can always get one down the road for an extra $80-100.
Link Posted: 1/4/2003 10:06:18 AM EDT
[#4]
Before the carry handle purists come knocking, I'm going to quickly add that I got an A2 upper, but now wish I had gone wih the A3. Much better flexibility.
Link Posted: 1/4/2003 12:08:07 PM EDT
[#5]
Actually, I have been playing with both and I am starting to favor the A2 setup even with some sets of optics.

Still, I'd go with the flattop just because of the flexibility it offers. You can always mount a detachable carry handle to the flattop and work from an A2 style platform but you can't go from an A2 to a flattop with the same ease.
Link Posted: 1/4/2003 3:29:14 PM EDT
[#6]
Thanks for the input!  In regards to the "milspec" rail issue, does anyone know where the Aramlite (and Eagle Arms) flattops fall?  I was looking at them today and like that both the front and rear iron sights are removable, but want to make sure there is no issue of compability with any scope rails.

Dawg  
Link Posted: 1/4/2003 6:49:52 PM EDT
[#7]
Armalite  , Bushmaster , Colt  (ABC)

Odds against getting a bad one are really really
high!

Link Posted: 1/4/2003 8:42:38 PM EDT
[#8]
I have both as well.  I prefer the flattop.  As has been said, it gives you many more configuration options.
Link Posted: 1/5/2003 4:58:00 AM EDT
[#9]
Dawg180:
flat top gives you the flexibility to add scopes or sight. Especially, it is a best platform for red-dot sights since you can have both rear sight (BUIS) and the scope available AT ANY TIME. With a power scope, if you don't intend to use iron sight, you can also put the scope on a flat-top. However, if you intend to keep the iron sight and a power scope available at any time, then A2 is a good choice.

A2 is more combat oriented. The fixed rear sight is solid and ready to use. The position of scope may be too high for most people. Indeed, it is its drawback. But, don't ignore its capability to use iron sight and the power scope at any time you want to use, this capability can't be had using a flat-top.

Vince

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top