Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 12/25/2002 11:54:32 AM EDT
Anyone ever compared the Leuipold VX-!! to a Nikon Monarch?  I'm in the market for a 3-9x40, but not sure what to buy.  IMO, the Buckmaster Nikon isn't too hot.  Also, I know that Nikon Maonrch binocs are now made in China.  I;m wondering if my money is est spent on Leupold?  
Link Posted: 12/26/2002 7:53:22 AM EDT
[#1]
Boy, I will probably get smacked for this, but I think the Nikon Monarch should be only comapred to the Leupold V-XIII, not the V-II. I have had 4 of the Nikon Monarch's and at  least a half dozen of the Leupolds. The Leupolds will always keep their value if you trade or sell gun stuff. The Nikon Monarch, to my eye, is clear of coloration. All of my Leupolds seem to have a bit of yellow to them. I have a 6x20x40AO on my Rem 700 VSSF .308, it is a nice scope, but when I look through the Nikon Monarch 2x7x32 on my M1A, the Nikon is crystal clear and the Leupold is slightly yellowish. I have a Nikon Monarch 3x9x40 I keep for load development on my Compass Lake DCM/CMP rifle and it is as clear as a bell.

As a side note, I have been a photographer and cinematographer since 1977 and I make a living looking through glass. I don't expect to see and color, no matter how slight, when looking through todays multi-coated glass.

Another thought, the V-II does not have ALL the elements coated and it is not a one piece tube. The Monarch has ALL the elements coated and it is a one piece tube.

Can't too wrong with either.

Bill

I forgot to mention, there are only 2 companies that make optical glass, Schott in Germany and Howya in Japan, so no scope is entirely "made" in the US. Kinda like the Harleys that were made in Japan and assembled in Milwalkee (spell?). The China stuff doesn't ring very well for me, but the Monarchs are made in Japan and I can't remember where the other one was made, but it was not China.
Link Posted: 12/26/2002 8:06:39 AM EDT
[#2]
A couple things:

1) Leupold offers a lifetime warranty.  If Nikon does too, then the Nikon compares to the VXIII line Leupolds.

2) See above for value comparison.  A VXIII is usually at least $80++ more than a VXII, compare apples to apples.

Ed
Link Posted: 12/26/2002 8:52:49 AM EDT
[#3]
The Vari-XII is only multicoated.  In other words, only the exterior lense surfaces are coated.  Light transmission is in the order of 86%.

The Nikon Monarch is [b]fully[/b] multicoated.  All of the transmission surfaces are multicoated.  Light transmission is [b]allegedly[/b] 95%.

Light transmission for a Vari-XIII (fully multicoated) is 92%.

Nikon now has a full lifetime manufacturer's warranty: [url]http://www.nikondownload.com/warranty.asp[/url].

I have been using a Leupold Vari-XIII for years and have never been impressed with it.  I'd try the Nikon Monarch, Weaver GS or Bushnell Elite 4200.  I now have the latter, and it is hands down a better scope than the Leupold.
Link Posted: 12/26/2002 6:18:40 PM EDT
[#4]
Thanks for info.  I stopped by the local outdoor world.  After reviewing the monarch and vx-11, I can say that the Nikon is much clearer.  Also, I was informed that all nikon Monarchas are now made in Taiwan or China.  The binocs are exclusively made in China, but most scopes are made still made in Taiwan.  
Link Posted: 12/27/2002 6:22:34 AM EDT
[#5]
No comparison. The Nikon Monarch will blow away a Leupold Vari-X II.
Link Posted: 12/27/2002 6:50:50 PM EDT
[#6]
OK Monarch it is!  Anyone know where to pickup a silver one.  All of the local guys, basspro, & cabelas are out.  Also, I've been told matte is only color available anymore.  I'll call SWFA on monday.  If they're out, I may need some more suggestions.  ZT
Link Posted: 12/27/2002 10:50:45 PM EDT
[#7]
[url]www.bearbasin.com[/url]
Always heard good things from them
Link Posted: 12/28/2002 7:57:48 AM EDT
[#8]
Nikons have great optics. Very clear.

Just be careful not to crush the tube with the rings when you tighten it down. I have this .270 that has had about 6 different scopes on it down through the years. Same mount and rings, Redfield JR. Never a problem.

I purchased a Nikon 4-12 recently and tightened it down like I usually do. The tube yielded and is crushed now. I don't use gorilla tactics on tightening scopes, have never done this to another scope.

The scope tube seems soft.

Just watch out.

Edit: I first had this scope on my AR10 using Leupold QRW rings with no problems.  I think the QRW type rings are easier on scope tubes than the Redfield/Leupold JR type rings. Once I get this scope repaired I'm not using anything but QRW's with this scope.
Link Posted: 12/28/2002 8:25:03 AM EDT
[#9]
It is just me, or does anyone else find the eye relief on the nikon scopes to be a little unforgiving?
Link Posted: 12/28/2002 10:33:03 AM EDT
[#10]
I have an older Monarch on my V-match.  IMO, the eye relief can be kind of tough on a flattop AR. Once I got so frustrated, I pulled Nikon and added a Simmons Aetec that i keep as a spare.  The AEtec offerd better eyerelief.  Overall, however, I think the eyelief on a Monarch is competivie w/ similar scopes.  ZT
Link Posted: 12/28/2002 11:03:42 AM EDT
[#11]
I love my monarch and would definately get another.  The VXII is a great scope as well but I feel the Nikon Monarch gives my eyes a better picture and view.  
Link Posted: 12/31/2002 6:05:39 PM EDT
[#12]
Ok......my 2 cents worth.  I have a Remington PSS .308 with a Leupold 4.5x14x40 tactical varixIII.  I also have a Winchester Heavy Varmint Stainless in .308 with a Nikon Monarch 5.5x16.5x44.  The Leupold in good, but the Nikon is better for me.  I shoot consistant .5 inch groups with the Remington/Leupold setup, compared to .1 inch groups with the Winny/Nikon setup.  I used to use the PSS for Tactical Team use, but have swithed to the Winny, simply because it is much more accurate.  The only thing about the Leupold is that it has the range finding capability.  Thats why I bought a laser range finder.  My money goes to Nikon.  Again though.......only my two cents worth.

CR
Link Posted: 12/31/2002 6:24:44 PM EDT
[#13]
TO ALL A HAPPY AND SAFE NEW YEAR!!!!!!!
Jack
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top