Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 12/25/2002 7:36:37 AM EDT
I saw some of these scopes for sale on e-bay. Are these foreign imports that are well made but very inexpensive, or should you avoid these altogether?
http://www.crankyfarmer.com/scopes.html
Just want to make sure before i commit

Eddie
Link Posted: 12/25/2002 11:03:42 AM EDT
[#1]
I would not say they are well made but they may suffice for static range usages.
Link Posted: 12/25/2002 11:06:27 AM EDT
[#2]
Can you clarify what you mean by static range uses?
Link Posted: 12/25/2002 11:40:15 AM EDT
[#3]
KD prone/ bench shooting - as opposed to more active types.
Link Posted: 12/25/2002 4:34:05 PM EDT
[#4]
what kind of scope/ system do you recommend for 24" A2?

PS
Merry Christmas

Eddie
Link Posted: 12/25/2002 4:54:04 PM EDT
[#5]
You get what you pay for !
Link Posted: 12/25/2002 5:12:08 PM EDT
[#6]
Eddie,

I would not get an A2 with a 24" bbl

While not a big fan of 24" bbls the only reason I can see for them is benchrest/varmiting, with an optic.
The A2's can take optics but are not nearly in the same boat as the Flattops.
Link Posted: 12/26/2002 7:31:16 AM EDT
[#7]
Let me filll you in on the 24". I was talking to a friend of mine about barrels because I was going to place an oreder for a kit. He told me he had a stainless steel barrel and upper receiver lying around that I could have for free. Thats the only reason why I have it. He is a varmit hunter that explains the lenght. I am waiting for the arrival of my parts kits so I can start assembling the rifle. I am still thinking about getting a complete 20" A2. Or just ordering a 20" barrel and swapping it out as needed. Would I need to buy a dedicated bolt for both of the barrels if I use the same upper? Sorry this is long.

Eddie
Link Posted: 1/2/2003 2:20:49 PM EDT
[#8]
Would I need to buy a dedicated bolt for both of the barrels
View Quote
You [i]should[/i] have a bolt for each barrel.  (It will [i]probably[/i] be OK to use the same bolt, but be sure to check headspace each time you install it to make sure it's safe.)  Using the same carrier is OK.
ordering a 20" barrel and swapping it out as needed
View Quote
Swapping barrels is not something I'd want to do on a regular basis.  If I understand correctly, you have a free 24" SS barrel, and a free A2 upper.  Given those two parts, I'd order a kit with a flat-top upper and then put the 24" SS barrel on the flat-top and the 20" barrel (or whatever) from the kit on the A2 upper.
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Top Top