Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 12/22/2002 8:32:51 PM EDT
I know this has probably been visited before, but I cannot seem to find the answer. Anyway, I want to mount my Reflex II on top of a A.R.M.S. SIR (M) that is installed on a Bushy A3 flat-top. Also, I will have an ARMS #40 rear sight placed directly on the flat-top. The Reflex is using the ARMS #15 throw lever mount. Now, here is the crux of the biscuit:

With this set-up, do I need the spacer to achieve co-witness with the iron sights?
Link Posted: 12/22/2002 9:41:26 PM EDT
[#1]
Nope, no spacer. Mount the Relfex direct to the ARMS #15 and you are in business.
Link Posted: 12/23/2002 2:11:41 AM EDT
[#2]
I have a Reflex on a #15 with no spacer, mounted on my SIR.  A normal cheekweld allows me to sight just right through the optic FOV.

Remember that with the SIR, you need to get the sight as LOW as possible.  No spacers in this situation.

So, because of the height of the SIR, your iron sights are [u]NOT[/u] going to co-witness through a Reflex.

Chris
Link Posted: 12/23/2002 5:20:36 AM EDT
[#3]
Thanks guys, I appreciate the help...
Link Posted: 12/23/2002 9:04:37 AM EDT
[#4]
FYI...I received a copy of ARM'S new catalog with a recent purchase. There are several new mounts in the works, one of which is for the Reflex II.  It appears to be a thin plate which bolts to the bottom of the Reflex and then attaches the Reflex to 2 of the holes which run the length of the SIR's top rail(the same holes used for the track mounted rings). It does not appear to have a quick detach feature but does look like it would co-witness with the #40 buis.
Link Posted: 12/23/2002 2:55:24 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
FYI...I received a copy of ARM'S new catalog with a recent purchase. There are several new mounts in the works, one of which is for the Reflex II.  It appears to be a thin plate which bolts to the bottom of the Reflex and then attaches the Reflex to 2 of the holes which run the length of the SIR's top rail(the same holes used for the track mounted rings). It does not appear to have a quick detach feature but does look like it would co-witness with the #40 buis.
View Quote

When I attempt to sight my irons through my Reflex, I can see the very tip of the front sight at the bottom edge of the FOV.

It's not going to take much to get those irons to co-witness, so maybe a mount like that would do it.

I like the quick-release capability of the #15.

Chris
Link Posted: 12/23/2002 5:11:00 PM EDT
[#6]
The #15 on the SIR does co-witness, with the front sight bead showing  itself in the very bottom of the lens.
Good Shootin , Jack
Link Posted: 12/24/2002 12:05:10 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
The #15 on the SIR does co-witness, with the front sight bead showing  itself in the very bottom of the lens.
Good Shootin , Jack
View Quote

Isn't that what I just said?

Quoted:
When I attempt to sight my irons through my Reflex, I can see the very tip of the front sight at the bottom edge of the FOV.
View Quote

But you know what Jack?  [b][i]I[/b][/i] don't call it co-witnessing because I can see ONLY about 1/32" of the VERY [b]TIP[/b] of the front sight post.  

I've got to use way too much imagination to sight this way, and that's in a range environment.  I couldn't see going to the irons that are setup like this in any kind of a stressful situation.

[u]NOT[/u] co-witnessing in the manner that 99.9% of the board members here are looking for.

Chris
Link Posted: 12/25/2002 6:14:57 PM EDT
[#8]
Co-witness means, as far as military usage, that you can view a target and angage with either the optic or irons. That was in consideration of the batteries dying in the Aimpoint only, obviously not the reflex. I am not aware what someone believes others may think, nor do I purport to speak for others on this board. Just trying to give factual and helpfull info to a question as I know from first hand knowledge.
Good Shootin, Jack
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top