Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 11/27/2002 6:10:22 PM EDT
I use an EOTech and love the 1 MOA center dot for more accurate shooting out to 100 yds.  My question is this: Why has Aimpoint opted for a 4 MOA dot?  I was really considering picking one up for a M4 flattop, but don't want such a large dot.  If only they made a 2 MOA (not magnified) version!
Link Posted: 11/27/2002 6:20:28 PM EDT
[#1]
When you are shooting at the ranges a red-dot scope is intended for... and shooting in fast motion shots, like a red dot was designed for.... 4 MOA dots dont seem big at all.

I can hold 3" groups pretty easily with my Aimpoint at 100yds as well... but if I would have wanted a scope, I would have bought one.

It is designed for close quarters combat, and fast shooting to center mass.... not much else.  When shooting bowling pins at 50yds, it really doesn't make any difference whether it is a 4MOA or a 1MOA.  Covering 2" of any target at 50yds is more than precise enough.

Love mine.
Link Posted: 11/27/2002 9:04:15 PM EDT
[#2]
Speed. The Aimpoint is a combat tool.

The sight is meant to put the rifles on human targets so that they can be shot, not to put holes in paper. Aimpoint did their homework for the US Army - the killers of many many people and delivered a product designed around the wishes of the military.

FALARAK's 3" groups at 100 yards are plenty accurate for a combat weapon but not a benchrest rifle.

Link Posted: 11/28/2002 12:48:49 PM EDT
[#3]
The previous Comp M and ML standard dot size was 3 MOA.  The current are 4.

I don't know for certain why Aimpoint increased the dot size but one thing I read was that it was to help those with astigmatism. The larger size eliminates some of the oval or starburst effect.

Also for most individuals, a larger dot is easier and faster to pick up.
Link Posted: 11/29/2002 6:06:19 PM EDT
[#4]
I have the old military version (comp m).  I love it because the dot is 3 moa.  It is also built just as tough as the m2.  The only disadvantage is that the battery doesn't last as long 100-1000 hours vs. 1000-10,000.
Link Posted: 12/2/2002 5:45:15 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 12/3/2002 4:29:12 AM EDT
[#6]
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top