Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 11/9/2002 2:45:15 AM EDT
I just took delivery of a new BUIS for my flattop. Not being used to the A2 sight, I was surprised to see the short-range aperture drilled off-center. At first I thought it was a quality control issue, but a quick check of my Guidebook For Marines showed an illustration with the same off-centered aperture. (Screenshots linked below)

www.wzrd.com/~rbrennan/misc/arms40.jpg

www.wzrd.com/~rbrennan/misc/usmc_a2.jpg

My question(s) is/are:

1. Is this common to all A2 sights???

2. Why would the short-range sight be off centered???

(It would seem to me that you would lose the centerline of aim when flipping from the short to long range sight...)
Link Posted: 11/9/2002 3:29:02 AM EDT
[#1]
As you flip the sight it is on a screw and that causes the whole aperature to shift to the side when flipping to the small aperature.  Watch it closely and you will see it moving just slighly.  The off center hole counteracts this shift whil rotating on the screw.
Link Posted: 11/9/2002 12:39:34 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
As you flip the sight it is on a screw and that causes the whole aperature to shift to the side when flipping to the small aperature.  Watch it closely and you will see it moving just slighly.  The off center hole counteracts this shift whil rotating on the screw.

...D'Oh!!!...

So simple...Why didn't I think of that???

Thanks for the explanation!
Link Posted: 12/8/2002 8:37:09 PM EDT
[#3]
Excellent question.

Excellent answer.

I learn something each time I visit this site!
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top