Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 11/2/2002 4:49:37 PM EDT
Hi everyone-
I read a thread a while back about a guy who was thinking of trying a red dot from BSA as a cheap way to find out if he wanted to spend big bucks (i.e. ACOG) on that type of sighting system- not good iron sights or a traditional scope. He just wanted something cheap to get a feel for it before shelling out several hundred dollars.
While I realize that the quality won't compare to the premier manufacturers, I'd like to hear about you experiences with them. Strengths and weaknesses would be nice.
 Also... what size dot do you prefer in optics?
Thanks in advance-
  Hobbit
Link Posted: 11/2/2002 5:26:22 PM EDT
[#1]

THEY SUCK!!!!

run away, run far far away!

these dots are total shit.  everything breaks!
turrets, rheostats, dot's go out of focus, won't hold zero, turrets loose adjustment, they fog and the threads on the mounts strip. if you are dead set on buying one i will sent you one of my broken ones for free!!!  all you have to do is pay shipping.  

if you want a red dot get an aimpoint or propoint.  i like the adjustable dots like the propoint PDP-5

Link Posted: 11/2/2002 5:43:01 PM EDT
[#2]
So I take it that you maen you DON'T like them?

;)
Link Posted: 11/6/2002 7:17:13 AM EDT
[#3]
i bought one of their 60mm dots thinking it might work well on the budget AR i was putting together for my GF to shoot. its taken a beating and gotten wet a few times. put some butler creek caps on it and its keeps right on going. battery life sucks but for $55 it cant be beat.
Link Posted: 11/6/2002 9:12:23 AM EDT
[#4]
Try a Bushnell mine is great. 5moa dot.
BSA =shit
Link Posted: 11/7/2002 12:54:27 PM EDT
[#5]

Check out Eotech or Aimpoint for red dot type optics.

I personally have had (and abused) the Eotech 552 for over 6 months now and can't find any complaints! Batteries last forever, survived a 10 foot drop onto concrete, stays in zero (no matter what!), 1 MOA dot with outer circle is a great choice for quick target acquisition and it's adjustable for different lighting situations INCLUDING night vision!

See for yourself at -->  http://www.eotech-inc.com/

Link Posted: 11/7/2002 12:55:50 PM EDT
[#6]
bsa = pos
Link Posted: 11/7/2002 2:42:36 PM EDT
[#7]
My local dealer had a brand new BSA red dot mounted on an AR that was on display for sale.  The sight fell apart while just being handled.  A round was never fired.  The internals just started rolling around in the tube.  I was not impressed.  Watch-Six
Link Posted: 11/7/2002 2:59:35 PM EDT
[#8]
I bought a BSA several years ago for more money then they are asking now.  I was lucky to sell it for $20.  If you want a low cost Red-Dot, I recommend Millet, I have a 30mm 5 min on an AR and my wife has a 1" 3 min on a Buckmark.  Both doing very well after many rounds.
Link Posted: 11/7/2002 5:36:32 PM EDT
[#9]
Thanks for the first-hand info.
The situation is that I just won't spend tremendous bucks on optics in this case. I have to find a cheaper alternative than the ones that get the high praise here. $300+ is out of the question.
I didn't even know that Millett made red dots. Thanks for the info. Any other lesser-known companies I should look up?
Link Posted: 11/8/2002 6:16:32 AM EDT
[#10]
While I don't have one on an AR15, I have one on a 9mm carbine.  I bought a 42mm BSA for less than $30 on ebay brand new.  I have yet to have one problems with it.  Looking through the 42mm (also make a 50mm?) is like looking at a television- it's freaking huge.  

Quality is definitly not on par with my Aimpoint.  But the only real complaint is the rheostat- it is difficult to turn.

But for 30 bucks it can't be beat.
Link Posted: 11/8/2002 6:48:05 AM EDT
[#11]
I have one of the Leupold Gilmore reddots from CDNN for $150.

I haven't had any problems with it so far.  At least a year I've had it.
Link Posted: 11/8/2002 6:57:45 AM EDT
[#12]
You can pick up a used aimpoint for around $200,
I got One for $150 in the EE, thanks Pathfinder!
Link Posted: 11/10/2002 5:15:32 PM EDT
[#13]
Bushnell make a nice little red dot that can be had for around $60

Burrishave their Speed Dot - about $160, but I've yet to try one.
Link Posted: 11/10/2002 5:55:25 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
Bushnell make a nice little red dot that can be had for around $60

Burrishave their Speed Dot - about $160, but I've yet to try one.

I'll give an "A" rating to the Speed-Dot.  I'd be labeled a heretic for putting one on an AR, but it's perfect for a comm-bloc rifle.
Link Posted: 12/31/2002 6:21:46 AM EDT
[#15]
BSA= Bull Shit Accuracy

Buy a EOTech or Aimpoint. I like the EOTech's myself.

Av.
Link Posted: 12/31/2002 7:21:28 AM EDT
[#16]
I used a cheap $35 BSA 30mm dot on my SAR-1, worked fine. Better than the crap iron sights that made me fuzz out.

I agree, an Aimpoint is best, but I wasn't wasting it on an AK fun gun.
Link Posted: 12/31/2002 7:48:12 AM EDT
[#17]
I've got one on my 45 acp upper. Like someone else said, the mounting screws strip out post haste. I replaced mine with screws and nuts from Home depot, much more secure.
The red dot dissapears on white paper targets, even at the hightest setting. If its bright outside and your shooting at paper range targets....forget it. Pretty hard to shoot if you can't see the dot.
I would never buy one, don't waste your money.
Find a used aimpoint or ultradot in the EE.
Link Posted: 12/31/2002 7:55:48 AM EDT
[#18]
Bushnell $49

http://www.eabco.com/Bush03.htm
Link Posted: 12/31/2002 9:44:54 AM EDT
[#19]
I was given a BSA 30mm and put it on my girlfriend's 9mm upper and with about 5-600 rounds the optic holds zero perfectly.  I would certainly not put a BSA red dot on a competition or "serious" use upper though.
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top