Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 10/16/2002 12:07:51 PM EDT
Just wandering what the best bang for the buck will be for a 6724 Colr CAR - A3 24" barrel rifle.

Specifically a fixed power 6 or 10 x and under $400.00 or less.

Any opinions on the Colt B Square 1 piece mount that comes with the rifle?

Thanks
Link Posted: 10/17/2002 3:23:53 AM EDT
[#1]

One piece mount works just dandy, you can shim it at the rear about 40 thousanths and have plenty of elevation travel for long range. Pic above is borrowed, but looks just like mine.

Leupold is what ya want installed on yours, I know, it's above you price range, but you did invest in a precision rifle, why not save your money and put a scope on the rifle which is capable of equal precision?

Load it w/:
Sierra 77grn, moly-w/
24.0 grns. Accurate 2460, (Hot Load),
DO NOT PUSH, start low, work up, yada,yada - 2850+or-fps from 24" 1/9,
loaded into once fired Remington Brass
Remington 7.5 small rifle benchrest primers
These are loaded mag length - 2.250" + or -

Here are your come-ups for that rifle and load.

100- zero
200-1 1/2 min
300-3 3/4 min
350-4 min
400-5 1/2 min
450-7 1/2 min
500-9 1/4 min
550-11 1/2 min
600-12 3/4 min
700-17 3/4 min
800-23 min
900- no target
1000-35 1/2 min (34-36 depending on humidity)

Mine is topped w/ Leupy 4.5x14x40 Vari-XIII, w/ turrets and Mil-dots. Rifle w/ this load/scope combination will be far more accurate than most shooters are.

Mike

Link Posted: 10/17/2002 4:00:01 AM EDT
[#2]
I know mike, I was considering a Tasco SS in 10 X, but I think I might have to wait and save for the Leupold.
Link Posted: 10/17/2002 4:46:42 AM EDT
[#3]
Ariel, as far as the scope mount is concerned, it works just fine.  I've been told by others to swap to the Armalite mount, but I've always been one of the "don't fix it if it ain't broke" type of guys.

The scope gives you lots of options.  At the time I purchased my CR6724, funds were tight, and the price of the gun left me with little money for quality optics.  My dealer talked me into a 3x12x56 Micro-Dot.  The scope is manufactured by Ultra-Dot, a company well known for it's red-dot optics.  The duplex reticule has an illuminated dot in the center.  It turned out to be an excellent scope at a very affordable price.  I have been told to "put a decent scope on that rifle", but nobody can argue with group size, and this combo does the job.  

You might also want to check out the Nikon scopes.  I believe that they represent the best "value" in quality optics available.  I would stay away from the fixed power scopes, you will appreciate the higher levels of magnification when trying to achieve the level of accuracy this rifle is capable of.

For ammo, you might give Georgia Arms a call and have them send you some of their 55grn NBT reloads.  My rifle prefers these to anything else, including Federal GMM.

Good Luck with a GREAT Rifle.  
Link Posted: 10/17/2002 7:55:39 AM EDT
[#4]
Rabbit9,

I was trying to applied the KISS principle to the scope by having a fixed power one.

Also fixed power tend to be cheaper than Variable ones.

Will have a look at what both Leupold and Nikkon have to offer in fixed power ones, and check out the Micro Dot too.
Link Posted: 10/17/2002 8:11:56 AM EDT
[#5]
I used to us a Leupold Vari-X III 3.5-10x "tactical".  This had the target adjustment knobs and covers, and had the gold ring blacked out. Very nice scope, but I sold it when I went to a carbine.
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top