Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 10/4/2002 8:10:43 PM EDT
Does anyone have any pros / cons regarding tritium sights on the AR? I've heard some say to only put them on the front sight, not the rear. Supposedly trijicon's tritium rear sight has too large of a sight hole. Does anyone with any experience on this issue? Thanks!
Link Posted: 10/4/2002 8:16:24 PM EDT
[#1]
I'd go with the front tritium sight only. I made the mistake of putting the complete set on 1st rifle-the rear sight blurs and can be a distraction( I think the sight radius causes that). I put the front only on my others as well as my duty rifle and am good to go with that set up. I can still aim through the rear even though it doesn't have tritium as it allows light through and doesn't interfere with the front sight.
Link Posted: 10/4/2002 8:21:41 PM EDT
[#2]
I have tritium sights on both the front AND rear.  I bought them as a set.

Now, here's my opinion...the front post works great.  The rear, tends to be blurry when lining up the sights.  But it does align and functions as it should.

My formal statement is that you need put a tritium sight only on the front post.  Here's why...anytime you'll be using the night sights for shooting, you'll still be able to see the rear sight aperature and can line it up with that - having the option of large or small holes.

If you can't see the rear aperature then you're in total darkness and can't see what you're shooting at anyway...finger off the trigger till you get some NV.

Even still, I keep my rear tritium sight on there, cause I still have my 0-200 aperature and that is just fine for my A3 16" barrel.  My accuracy is great with that alone.  Anything longer than that I'll attach my scope mount in 2 seconds and I'm dancing at 300 yards.

Front = very good, Rear = good but not necessary.  My advice is to get a front post and use the money on the rear to buy your AR a flashlight.
Link Posted: 10/5/2002 6:38:39 AM EDT
[#3]
I have front and rear sights as they came installed on the upper my pre-ban came with.

The rear ones help ensure that I've got the rifle cheek welded correctly. I have several rifles with each having a different feel to them - they tend to mount just a bit differently. I don't shoot all my rifles enough to have the feel down.

In total darkness or really close to it, it's hard to get the rear sight aperture behind the front sight.

Now who and what you're going to shoot at in such darkness is beyond me ... the ability would be of use if you want to mount the rifle, point it at the target and then illuminate it before shooting at the target.
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top