Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Magazines
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 4
Posted: 9/18/2021 11:12:23 AM EDT
Good morning all. I have probably more than 100 magazines and most of them are unused and still in their wrap.

But whenever I see deals for magazines, I am tempted to buy more.

Is there any realm of reason that I should buy more? What do you think about this vice?
Link Posted: 9/18/2021 11:17:43 AM EDT
[#1]
No.. unless you are investing to resell after a ban, or planning on supplying your friends / family.

if you have cash to spend on items for your stockpile.. might be a good time to look at your entire situation, and start stocking up on items you are lacking.
Link Posted: 9/18/2021 11:27:37 AM EDT
[#2]
So.....there was this thing that happened starting in 1994.
Link Posted: 9/18/2021 11:45:23 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 9/18/2021 11:50:32 AM EDT
[#4]
I've got like 2-3 boxes of magazines, metal and magpul, still in the wrapper. I don't know how many magazines I have in the ammo cans, loaded and unloaded. I see those 10 packs and get tempted, but decided I'm not going to hump all that in a SHTF anyway.
Link Posted: 9/18/2021 12:16:07 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
No.. unless you are investing to resell after a ban, or planning on supplying your friends / family.

if you have cash to spend on items for your stockpile.. might be a good time to look at your entire situation, and start stocking up on items you are lacking.
View Quote

Agreed.  Food and water are pretty important.
Link Posted: 9/18/2021 12:28:32 PM EDT
[#6]
Fill them up, if it’s more than you can carry then it’s probably safe to stop…
Link Posted: 9/18/2021 1:06:56 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
So.....there was this thing that happened starting in 1994.
View Quote

Those of us who lived through the 94 ban know all to well the pain and struggle of trying to find magazines. These are still the salad days of mags and I buy what I can when I can. They are so cheap, you can pick up a couple without even thinking about it. God forbid another ban is passed, I will have a good personal stash and have a nice little pile to make some $$.
Link Posted: 9/18/2021 8:32:46 PM EDT
[#8]
I Easley have 100+ Glock mags hundreds of magpuls and metal mags.  the one I need to stock up on are sr25 mags.
Link Posted: 9/18/2021 10:36:47 PM EDT
[#9]
Always
Buy
More
Mags.
Link Posted: 9/19/2021 12:23:58 PM EDT
[#10]
Yep buy more. When they are no longer available is too late.
Link Posted: 9/19/2021 12:27:26 PM EDT
[#11]
Only if you have somewhere safe and secret to store them, and don't tell the world that you have them.

When they become NFA items (if over 3 round capacity), and the NFA tax is increased to $2,000 you may, or may not be glad that you have them.
Link Posted: 9/19/2021 12:28:32 PM EDT
[#12]
If you have them for personal use I wouldn’t bother, those will last several lifetimes.

I’d focus on other stuff like replacement parts.
Link Posted: 9/19/2021 12:34:02 PM EDT
[#13]
Is there ever enough? Magazines right now are widely available and cheap, I say buy.

It's one of the few parts that aren't out of stock at the moment and backordered.

Link Posted: 9/19/2021 5:48:09 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
I've got like 2-3 boxes of magazines, metal and magpul, still in the wrapper. I don't know how many magazines I have in the ammo cans, loaded and unloaded. I see those 10 packs and get tempted, but decided I'm not going to hump all that in a SHTF anyway.
View Quote

I was thinking more about selling them during the next ban.
Link Posted: 9/19/2021 9:52:04 PM EDT
[#15]
After inventory, for no good reason I bought a case of PMAGs.  Call it an investment.  Or an abundance of caution regarding the future...

Paladin

ETA:

https://www.armsunlimited.com/Magpul-PMAG-30-Round-GEN-M2-223-556-AR15-Magazine-p/mag571-case.htm
Link Posted: 9/19/2021 10:47:53 PM EDT
[#16]
After you have a case of mags, anything less is just not interesting.
Link Posted: 9/19/2021 10:59:55 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

View Quote

The amount of (AR, Glock, etc) mags that exist in the wild today compared to 1994 is WAY higher.  There’s gotta be billions of high capacity magazines out there just sitting factory new in closets/basements.  I don’t believe a pmag or G17 mag will be worth a $100.

IMO You’re better off grabbing a few dozen extra followers/springs, critical gun parts, reloading equipment, etc
Link Posted: 9/19/2021 11:05:12 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
After inventory, for no good reason I bought a case of PMAGs.  Call it an investment.  Or an abundance of caution regarding the future...

Paladin

ETA:

https://www.armsunlimited.com/Magpul-PMAG-30-Round-GEN-M2-223-556-AR15-Magazine-p/mag571-case.htm
View Quote

$825
Link Posted: 9/19/2021 11:26:06 PM EDT
[#19]
To me it breaks down to gun count. 100 for 10-15 rifles isnt really a good start 100 for 1-2 is probably A-ok
Link Posted: 9/20/2021 10:05:05 AM EDT
[#20]
the truth is nobody knows the future.   So buy what makes you feel good.
Link Posted: 9/20/2021 12:36:37 PM EDT
[#21]
Buy enough to last your lifetime.  Maybe a few more for feels.

Ammo is more important.
Link Posted: 9/20/2021 12:52:43 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
I Easley have 100+ Glock mags hundreds of magpuls and metal mags.  the one I need to stock up on are sr25 mags.
View Quote

SR25 mags are a bitter pill to swallow when Magpul 20/25 and Lancer 25s work just as well for less than 1/3 the price.

Link Posted: 9/20/2021 9:31:33 PM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 9/20/2021 9:46:34 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Deal
View Quote

That’s exactly what has been teasing me!

Is that a good deal?
Link Posted: 9/20/2021 10:37:59 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

Is that a good deal?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Deal

Is that a good deal?

And then some.....
Link Posted: 9/20/2021 10:50:57 PM EDT
[#26]
Unless you're neckbearding mags to resell in the event of a ban, I don't see any good reason to accumulate more at 100. Even then you might not get far. COVID + Biden might have depleted guns and ammo but unlike prior years, mags more or less remained in stock throughout. That tells me the country is absolutely awash in mags from the Obama era.

I'd put the money toward more ammo and more range time. That or upgrade your hardware. Swap the Holosuns for something go-to-war grade, that sort of thing.
Link Posted: 9/20/2021 11:05:54 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

And then some.....
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Deal

Is that a good deal?

And then some.....

I have about 100 GI that I won’t even use and I’m tempted to buy some!
Link Posted: 9/20/2021 11:25:21 PM EDT
[#28]
Out of stock.
Link Posted: 9/21/2021 12:01:26 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Out of stock.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Out of stock.

Oh well.

Better mags anyway:

Quoted:

$825
Link Posted: 9/21/2021 1:15:06 PM EDT
[#30]
Don't see how P-mags are better than Okay.
Link Posted: 9/21/2021 4:38:42 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
View Quote

GI mags are fine and all but you can’t argue with the bullet presentation/feed angle and the toughness of a Pmag.

Link Posted: 9/21/2021 10:07:15 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

GI mags are fine and all but you can’t argue with the bullet presentation/feed angle and the toughness of a Pmag.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

"USGI mags have outlasted all of the other brands. We use UGSI (Brownell's with tan follower) and on a mag for mag basis, they have outlasted Pmags and a few of the other mags that we get from mfg'ers with new weapons. We don't have to worry about various generations with different weapons like the MR556, SCAR, F2000, Tavor or a couple of others that use AR15/M4 magazines."

Real life magazine test
Link Posted: 9/21/2021 10:49:21 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

View Quote

Gen 3 pmags are garbage, they don’t work in half my lowers…. Magpul followers are the tits though.

You can’t beat the seating click of a GI mag

What is “bullet presentation”?
Link Posted: 9/22/2021 12:43:13 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

Gen 3 pmags are garbage, they don’t work in half my lowers…. Magpul followers are the tits though.

You seat beat the seating click of a GI mag

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

You seat beat the seating click of a GI mag

Half your lowers are garbage. There is actually a spec to the magwell of an AR. Gen M3s work in a proper AR.

Insert a magazine in a lower and ease the bolt forward until the tip of the bullet barely makes contact with the feedramp.

Do it with a Pmag and a GI mag. GI mags hit at rhe bottom of the ramp, Pmags hit right at the top.
Link Posted: 9/22/2021 2:43:20 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

Half your lowers are garbage. There is actually a spec to the magwell of an AR. Gen M3s work in a proper AR.

Insert a magazine in a lower and ease the bolt forward until the tip of the bullet barely makes contact with the feedramp.

Do it with a Pmag and a GI mag. GI mags hit at rhe bottom of the ramp, Pmags hit right at the top.
View Quote

Lol, I guess I should dump my KAC, DD, BCM and Colt lowers that wont seat the Gen 3 pmag properly.  That way I can be sure the 2 dozen Gen 3 pmags I have in plastic will get used at some point.  

Magpul makes some nice stuff, but defending their M3 PMAGs as perfect is pretty rich.  Mags are built to work around the gun, not the other way around.

I didn’t realize “presentation angle” meant anything when you “ease the bolt forward” considering no AR-15 bolt is ever eased forward when you’re actually shooting it.
Link Posted: 9/22/2021 3:51:16 AM EDT
[#36]
If you feel that you need to, sure.

I personally don't. People can scream AWB all they want, but the 100 that I have still in the wrap and not including the ones that are being used, is more than enough for me.
Link Posted: 9/22/2021 9:10:41 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

Lol, I guess I should dump my KAC, DD, BCM and Colt lowers that wont seat the Gen 3 pmag properly.  That way I can be sure the 2 dozen Gen 3 pmags I have in plastic will get used at some point.  

Magpul makes some nice stuff, but defending their M3 PMAGs as perfect is pretty rich.  Mags are built to work around the gun, not the other way around.

I didn’t realize “presentation angle” meant anything when you “ease the bolt forward” considering no AR-15 bolt is ever eased forward when you’re actually shooting it.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

You can do whatever you want but I don’t keep out of spec lowers.  

I never said an M3 was perfect, but they are better at feeding and are tougher than GI mags.
Link Posted: 9/22/2021 8:21:25 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

I never said an M3 was perfect, but they are better at feeding and are tougher than GI mags.
View Quote

You can do whatever you want but I don’t use out of spec magazines.

ETA:  I also wouldn’t buy a car merely because my favorite floor mats fit in it…
Link Posted: 9/22/2021 9:30:12 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

ETA:  I also wouldn’t buy a car merely because my favorite floor mats fit in it…
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Gen M3 Pmags are are issued mags in our military, the UK, most every police department, they’ve been around for a decade now.  If they were that out of spec, someone would have said something by now, but they’re only selling more and more and more.  
Link Posted: 9/22/2021 9:51:07 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

Gen M3 Pmags are are issued mags in our military, the UK, most every police department, they’ve been around for a decade now.  If they were that out of spec, someone would have said something by now, but they’re only selling more and more and more.  
View Quote

You didn’t need to post this. It was already clear you’re susceptible to big marketing and a “iTs WhAt ThE tROoPs CaRrY” kinda guy.
Link Posted: 9/23/2021 7:40:18 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

View Quote

The only problem with this logic is if ownership is banned and parts/rebuild kits are also banned.  California fixed this with their last set of laws passed so you’d be sittting on a bunch of illegal magazines no one wants because no one is allowed to possess them legally.
Link Posted: 9/23/2021 10:43:08 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
The only problem with this logic is if ownership is banned and parts/rebuild kits are also banned.  California fixed this with their last set of laws passed so you’d be sitting on a bunch of illegal magazines no one wants because no one is allowed to possess them legally.
View Quote

With all the "lessons learned" from previous bans, I have no doubt that the next proposed national ban will prohibit transfer. I.e. people will be grandfathered to possess them but will not be allowed to sell / give / gift them to others.

Magazines are a really easy and "feel good" thing to buy, but people really need to be honest with themselves about how many they, personally, will ever need in their lifetime (or their children's lifetime), and consider the possibility that they may not be able to transfer them to others in the future. I lived through the '94 ban and paid $70-$100 for Glock and SIG mags, and $20 for used GI mags. But everyone should really consider whether they need several hundred mags of one type when they generally only use 10-20 (at the most) in a range session or class, and have probably only seen a couple break in all the time they've been shooting.

It reminds me of people that say they are "preppers," and their preparations consist of having 15 ARs and a pallet of ammo, but they've never taken a trauma medicine course, studied how to store food for the long haul, don't have a fitness regimen, and can't navigate without a cell phone. Take a look at your overall plan, such as buying, organizing, and storing critical parts, taking a training course (the equivalent of buying maybe 30-50 mags), etc. It's easy and tempting to order more mags, but looking at what things are hard to get right now might be a better indication of what you might really need in the future.
Link Posted: 9/23/2021 10:50:54 AM EDT
[#43]
I'd say take a pause and buy a cmmg lower parts kit instead(it's everything but the lower itself). You're more likely to need that.
Link Posted: 9/23/2021 10:52:16 AM EDT
[#44]
Mags last pretty good.

I have a set of 5 Pmags that have been dropped counless times and fed about 10,000 rounds and they’re all gtg.

I have a bunch of GI mags that I have used over the years that have fed probably 20,000 rounds, and aside from the handful that got got dented, they’re all fine too.

In 20 years I’ve probably shot an honest 50K rounds from my ARs in training and competition with little to no regard for taking care of magazines and I have ruined maybe 10. Maybe.
Link Posted: 9/23/2021 6:54:36 PM EDT
[#45]
Right now, there are magazines that are drying up, like good Colt-pattern 9mm magazines and high-cap magazines for Para P-series guns.
Link Posted: 9/24/2021 1:39:53 AM EDT
[#46]
Is there any reason NOT to keep buying magazines?  I've started picking up a couple here and there whenever I see them and tossing them in the box at my house.  Figure they are expendable and  I might as well stock up while they are cheap and available.  But I don't have hundreds of them.  Yet...
Link Posted: 9/24/2021 2:40:19 AM EDT
[#47]
No.  

Functionally, you need a minimum of 3 30's, and 2 20's, and you're set for practical usage for life.   Getting more for purpose makes sense, if you have a bando you want to keep loaded with 4 more, and if you want to have a complete spare set.  And you want some 10's or 40's to flesh it out a bit more.   So I can see getting up to as many as 20 or so mixed mags.   Once you get past that, then unless it's for investment or resell purpose, it's pretty much just a waste of money; IMHO.

And if you are buying them for resell during the next crisis, so has everyone else been too.  Note how cheap they still are. Even now.  The likelyhood of those turning into a windfall value isnt high.

At some point, it will be like going to that neighborhood garage sale where family members are trying to sell still on wrapper cheap full sized flashlights that the dad bought 100 of, that nobody wants. .
Link Posted: 9/24/2021 11:32:51 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

I didn't realize "presentation angle" meant anything when you "ease the bolt forward" considering no AR-15 bolt is ever eased forward when you're actually shooting it.
View Quote
The gen3 was designed on-spec and a few lower manufacturers had to change their mag wells to meet it. Some even offer to recut their mag wells to get on spec.

There was some loose tolerances in the AR lowers not found in m-16/4 lowers.
Link Posted: 9/25/2021 10:05:28 PM EDT
[#49]
Magazines should be considered disposable
Buy and stack deep

Assuming your other bases are covered
Link Posted: 9/26/2021 5:50:35 PM EDT
[#50]
I am about at the same place as the OP.  However I have three kids and have an AR for each of them.  That being said I think 100 is "probably" plenty to store back.   Get your self 10 more for actually using and call it good unless you just like to collect mags.  I keep a "reference box" of mags so friends can try them out in there rifles.  Have 3 mags of lots of different kinds.  The only thing I really want right now is a better supply of straight body 20 round mags.  I just really like them for practicing and general shooting with friend....plus my kids us less ammo if they have to reload more often.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 4
Page AR-15 » Magazines
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top