BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Magazines
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 5/15/2020 11:20:35 AM EDT
So, I’m working for a DOD contractor at Kandahar Airfield these days, and they get issued the leavings from the bottom of the barrel. Case in point being all of our M16 magazines.

They’re mostly ACS manufactured standard aluminum mags, with a few Okay Industries and D&H scattered here and there, but WOW are they neglected and abused.

I disassembled my first batch of issued mags after work one day, and found that the springs are twisted off kilter pretty hard, and interestingly, the anti-tilt followers have the “legs” front and back warped inward, I guess from the heat. I did not know that true followers would do that, but I guess it’s to be expected, concidering how hot it gets over here.

The mags and all our weapons were stored for years in a converted CONEX container that was used as the arms room, and the heat did a number on all the followers in all the mags I have disassembled so far.

I will try to post pics in the next few days of the various things I have found during cleaning.

The ammo is a mix and match of headstamps and conditions, from slightly dirty to filthy and/or badly dented. I’m sorting all my ammo and taking with the Armorer about swapping it out, but with the drawdown happening, we aren’t gonna hold our breath.

So far, it’s been an interesting journey into just how much abuse an AR mag will take before it craps out.
Link Posted: 5/15/2020 11:37:15 AM EDT
[#1]
That absolutely blows.

I've bought surplus USGI mags that had the springs twisted way beyond spec. Interested in pics if/when you can.

Are you able to individually purchase mags for use?
Link Posted: 5/15/2020 11:52:14 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Tigwelder1971:
That absolutely blows. 

I've bought surplus USGI mags that had the springs twisted way beyond spec. Interested in pics if/when you can.

Are you able to individually purchase mags for use?
View Quote

I ordered some Okay E2 Surefeeds from Primary Arms, and they should be on the way with the care package from my wife. Looking forward to getting my hands on them, because this place will certainly put that “sand resistant” label to the ultimate test. I’m keen to see how well they hold up and function in this environment.

Link Posted: 5/15/2020 11:59:04 AM EDT
[#3]
Originally Posted By doubleclaw:

I ordered some Okay E2 Surefeeds from Primary Arms, and they should be on the way with the care package from my wife. Looking forward to getting my hands on them, because this place will certainly put that “sand resistant” label to the ultimate test. I’m keen to see how well they hold up and function in this environment.

View Quote

Good deal. I'd be interested in your experience with the E2s, (ammo types/environment).  I've read mixed reviews on them.  I have 2, not much range time on them and no sand/dirt/dust exposure. I didn't want to commit to a dozen until I ran some rounds through a sample for a bit.
Link Posted: 5/15/2020 12:05:51 PM EDT
[#4]
How many have failed to feed so far?

The big thing I look out for with aluminum mags is bent feed lips and slightly crushed bodies.  A slightly crushed body can cause the rounds/follower to catch on the way up.  Thankfully both of those can normally be caught through visual inspection.
Link Posted: 5/15/2020 12:13:54 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
I disassembled my first batch of issued mags after work one day, and found that the springs are twisted off kilter pretty hard, and interestingly, the anti-tilt followers have the “legs” front and back warped inward, I guess from the heat. I did not know that true followers would do that, but I guess it’s to be expected, concidering how hot it gets over here.
View Quote

My deployment experiences haven't been anywhere near as rough as some people here, but I've had magazines loaded for months, and fired them periodically, in 125+ degree heat in Iraq and have never seen the followers warp. That includes GI black and green followers, orange followers that are the same design as the green GI ones, and Magpul followers. I suspect it's a problem with the cheaper material used for some of those mags. Or are you finding that with the old Okay and other GI brand mags too?
Link Posted: 5/15/2020 12:57:15 PM EDT
[#6]
We had a group on here a few years ago directed by @subnet that adopted a group of soldiers over there.  It all started when one of the soldiers, a member here, posted about the crappy condition of their issued mags.  The whole effort started when we began shipping them mag repair kits.  We sent a boatload or two.  
Link Posted: 5/15/2020 1:00:13 PM EDT
[#7]
tag
Link Posted: 5/15/2020 1:20:28 PM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By kyreb:
We had a group on here a few years ago directed by @subnet that adopted a group of soldiers over there.  It all started when one of the soldiers, a member here, posted about the crappy condition of their issued mags.  The whole effort started when we began shipping them mag repair kits.  We sent a boatload or two.  
View Quote

Nice!
Link Posted: 5/15/2020 1:25:35 PM EDT
[#9]
is poo pond still there?
I was there 2011-2012 deployment and it sucked!
Link Posted: 5/15/2020 2:18:33 PM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By jaqufrost:

How many have failed to feed so far?

The big thing I look out for with aluminum mags is bent feed lips and slightly crushed bodies.  A slightly crushed body can cause the rounds/follower to catch on the way up.  Thankfully both of those can normally be caught through visual inspection.
View Quote

That question should be, “how many have fed a full mag so far?”

I’ve found a bunch with busted spot welds on the spines, from dickheads playing “Apocalypse Now” and beating the spines on their kevlars, or whacking the spines of the mags on a table to seat the rounds.

Most of the mags are ASC, and there’s some Okays and D&H scattered throughout, but all of them I’ve handled have been rode pretty hard and stored badly.

Part of the problem is the slight increase in overall length of the 855A1 ammo. The bullet noses rub against the inside of the mags ever so slightly, and hang up when they hit a rough spot. Tapping the mag lightly tends to dislodge the feed column, but with the mags in such bad shape, even this relatively minor problem becomes a major hassle when it comes to reliability.

The ever present sand and “moon dust” doesn’t help much, either.
Link Posted: 5/15/2020 2:22:15 PM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By 3ACR_Scout:

My deployment experiences haven't been anywhere near as rough as some people here, but I've had magazines loaded for months, and fired them periodically, in 125+ degree heat in Iraq and have never seen the followers warp. That includes GI black and green followers, orange followers that are the same design as the green GI ones, and Magpul followers. I suspect it's a problem with the cheaper material used for some of those mags. Or are you finding that with the old Okay and other GI brand mags too?
View Quote

All of the ASC mags I’ve disassembled have had warped followers. I haven’t been issued any of the Okays or D&H mags yet, so haven’t had a chance to look at the followers in them.

The warpage is pretty obvious when the follower is out of the mag, and it seems to be one of the prime culprits in the feed column hang ups I’ve seen with these mags.

Maybe a bad lot of followers or a fault in the plastic itself? Beats hell outta me, because I’ve never seen followers warp like this.

We’re getting a new Armorer in a week or so, and he seems pretty cool, so I’m going to get with him about what we can do to fix this bullshit.

Link Posted: 5/15/2020 2:26:03 PM EDT
[#12]
Originally Posted By bainbridge:
is poo pond still there?
I was there 2011-2012 deployment and it sucked!
View Quote

They closed it down, thank God. There’s a sewage treatment facility over in Deep South now, so the stink is a little father away these days.

The files are still bad as fuck, though. The food at Niagara is way better than it was in 10-11, though, which is nice.
Link Posted: 5/15/2020 2:30:40 PM EDT
[#13]
Originally Posted By doubleclaw:... and “moon dust” doesn’t help much, either.
View Quote
That stuff is insidious. At the end of daughter's 5th deployment her main body was pulling up stakes and was doing the "if I pitch it I don't have to pack it" routine and she liberated a bunch of perfectly good Okays that made their way here.  Everything, including some other stuff, in the box that came home looked ok initially.  As I did visuals on all the mags they all looked quite good, but it was just amazing.  In 15 minutes my hands were coated with a krap I hadn't seen before - that shit is like slightly tan well, yeah, moon dust.  I disassembled & blasted everything.  Every generation has their AOR-specific bugaboo I imagine.

Link Posted: 5/15/2020 2:53:11 PM EDT
[#14]

I ordered some Okay E2 Surefeeds from Primary Arms, and they should be on the way with the care package from my wife. Looking forward to getting my hands on them, because this place will certainly put that “sand resistant” label to the ultimate test. I’m keen to see how well they hold up and function in this environment.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Tigwelder1971:
That absolutely blows. 

I've bought surplus USGI mags that had the springs twisted way beyond spec. Interested in pics if/when you can.

Are you able to individually purchase mags for use?

I bet they'll work better than a bunch of beat to shit mags that at least need new springs and followers.  I'd be concerned about having a ghetto/mixed load of ammo in the mags, but hopefully its close enough to spec
Link Posted: 5/15/2020 2:55:41 PM EDT
[#15]

That question should be, “how many have fed a full mag so far?” 

I’ve found a bunch with busted spot welds on the spines, from dickheads playing “Apocalypse Now” and beating the spines on their kevlars, or whacking the spines of the mags on a table to seat the rounds.

Most of the mags are ASC, and there’s some Okays and D&H scattered throughout, but all of them I’ve handled have been rode pretty hard and stored badly. 

Part of the problem is the slight increase in overall length of the 855A1 ammo. The bullet noses rub against the inside of the mags ever so slightly, and hang up when they hit a rough spot. Tapping the mag lightly tends to dislodge the feed column, but with the mags in such bad shape, even this relatively minor problem becomes a major hassle when it comes to reliability.

The ever present sand and “moon dust” doesn’t help much, either.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By jaqufrost:

How many have failed to feed so far?

The big thing I look out for with aluminum mags is bent feed lips and slightly crushed bodies.  A slightly crushed body can cause the rounds/follower to catch on the way up.  Thankfully both of those can normally be caught through visual inspection.

I’ve found a bunch with busted spot welds on the spines, from dickheads playing “Apocalypse Now” and beating the spines on their kevlars, or whacking the spines of the mags on a table to seat the rounds.

Most of the mags are ASC, and there’s some Okays and D&H scattered throughout, but all of them I’ve handled have been rode pretty hard and stored badly. 

Part of the problem is the slight increase in overall length of the 855A1 ammo. The bullet noses rub against the inside of the mags ever so slightly, and hang up when they hit a rough spot. Tapping the mag lightly tends to dislodge the feed column, but with the mags in such bad shape, even this relatively minor problem becomes a major hassle when it comes to reliability.

I had to look up ASC .... less than tier 1 mfg'd mags isn't a great baseline.
Link Posted: 5/15/2020 3:06:45 PM EDT
[#16]
ASC was started by the same guys from the original CProducts, right?
Link Posted: 5/15/2020 3:44:30 PM EDT
[#17]
Originally Posted By SSeric02:
ASC was started by the same guys from the original CProducts, right?
View Quote

That's what I recall.
Link Posted: 5/15/2020 3:46:53 PM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 5/15/2020 3:49:55 PM EDT
[#19]
Originally Posted By SSeric02:
ASC was started by the same guys from the original CProducts, right?
View Quote

Explains a lot...
Link Posted: 5/15/2020 3:56:02 PM EDT
[#20]
As a fellow contractor, I’d highly recommend new guts for the rifle mags and for your pistol mags as well. Some of the Glock mags I’d get over there were so worn out you could damn near shake rounds out of the mags.
Link Posted: 5/15/2020 4:04:33 PM EDT
[#21]
Originally Posted By PursuitSS:

It depends on whose “story” you believe. 
View Quote

Yeah, I just vaguely remember the big CProducts/ASC ownership shit show.
Link Posted: 5/15/2020 10:43:35 PM EDT
[#22]
ACS mags are junk. Shame on anyone who bought them for real duty use. Okay and D&H should be GTG though.
Link Posted: 5/15/2020 11:10:59 PM EDT
[#23]

View Quote

Yup.
Link Posted: 5/17/2020 8:50:10 AM EDT
[#24]
Originally Posted By kyreb:
We had a group on here a few years ago directed by @subnet that adopted a group of soldiers over there.  It all started when one of the soldiers, a member here, posted about the crappy condition of their issued mags.  The whole effort started when we began shipping them mag repair kits.  We sent a boatload or two.  
View Quote

Now, that’s cool as all get-out!
Link Posted: 5/17/2020 8:54:11 AM EDT
[#25]
Originally Posted By airmandaniel:
As a fellow contractor, I’d highly recommend new guts for the rifle mags and for your pistol mags as well. Some of the Glock mags I’d get over there were so worn out you could damn near shake rounds out of the mags.
View Quote

That’s how our M9 mags do. You can thumb out one or two rounds before the follower hangs up, then the rounds just fall out.

I’ve got some mag guts ordered at Brownell’s, but they’re telling me that they can’t ship “gun component parts” over here, which mag springs and followers are definitely not, but whatever.

I’ll just get them to ship the shit to my HOR address and get my wife to mail them at additional cost.

The fucking US Postal “Service” is run by a bunch of equal opportunity clowns who don’t know shit about guns, but they get to make all the rules for what is/is not a “gun component part.” It’s asinine.
Link Posted: 5/17/2020 2:25:59 PM EDT
[#26]
I’ll just get them to ship the shit to my HOR address and get my wife to mail them at additional cost.

The fucking US Postal “Service” is run by a bunch of equal opportunity clowns who don’t know shit about guns, but they get to make all the rules for what is/is not a “gun component part.” It’s asinine.
View Quote

It has nothing to do with the Postal Service. U.S. arms export control laws prohibit vendors from shipping many items overseas, including magazines, firearm parts and components, optics (red dot sights, etc.), night vision equipment, and other arms-related products without proper export authorization from the U.S. Department of State. Many vendors include notes in product listings indicating items that cannot be sent overseas. Despite the fact that APO, FPO, and DPO addresses are used by U.S. personnel, it's still considered exporting to ship products to those addresses (since they are, in fact, located in foreign countries). Whenever I've bought PMAGs, optics, Magpul accessories, and other things, I've almost always had to have them shipped to family first and then sent to me in a care package.
Link Posted: 5/17/2020 2:44:45 PM EDT
[#27]
ITAR regulates export of firearm related shit. With good reason.
Link Posted: 5/17/2020 3:53:55 PM EDT
[#28]
Man that's horrible when your life and others depend on this stuff and what you got is worn out junk. Try to get some gen3 pmags ASAP.

Hope the guns are in desent shape. Well, even if they are they're no good if the mags are crap.

Link Posted: 5/17/2020 4:00:15 PM EDT
[#29]
That totally sucks. I spoke to a guy that came back and he was telling me they were destroying conex containers full of mags and other gear because they weren't shipping them back to the states.
Link Posted: 5/18/2020 1:11:57 AM EDT
[#30]
Originally Posted By POG926:
That totally sucks. I spoke to a guy that came back and he was telling me they were destroying conex containers full of mags and other gear because they weren't shipping them back to the states.
View Quote

I’ve heard there’s a unit chopping up weapons here on KAF right now. M16s, 249s, all kinds of stuff.

What a waste. We could probably rebuild our shitty weapons three times over with what they’re shredding, but noooo.
Link Posted: 5/18/2020 1:18:21 AM EDT
[#31]
As a prior contractor,  good luck!

Better not over stay your work visa either!
Link Posted: 5/18/2020 9:56:21 AM EDT
[#32]
Originally Posted By 3ACR_Scout:

It has nothing to do with the Postal Service. U.S. arms export control laws prohibit vendors from shipping many items overseas, including magazines, firearm parts and components, optics (red dot sights, etc.), night vision equipment, and other arms-related products without proper export authorization from the U.S. Department of State. Many vendors include notes in product listings indicating items that cannot be sent overseas. Despite the fact that APO, FPO, and DPO addresses are used by U.S. personnel, it's still considered exporting to ship products to those addresses (since they are, in fact, located in foreign countries). Whenever I've bought PMAGs, optics, Magpul accessories, and other things, I've almost always had to have them shipped to family first and then sent to me in a care package.
View Quote

Perhaps I should have been more clear at the outset.  The items I am ordering are not “component parts,” because they cannot be used by themselves to build a functional weapon. To be exact, I’m ordering three magazine springs, one Beretta spring pack and a front sight post.

You couldn’t build a working firearm out of those items if you tried.

If I was ordering magnified optics, barrels, receivers, receiver build parts, bolts/carriers, firing pins or other actual component parts, that would be fine, but I’m not.

I’m ordering a sack of springs and a screw shank with detents on it.
Link Posted: 5/19/2020 5:43:21 PM EDT
[#33]
You need gen3 pmags.  Did you atleast order magpul followers with the springs?
Link Posted: 5/25/2020 4:56:23 AM EDT
[#34]
As another contractor in Astan that shoots nearly every day, keep your mags clean.  Been taking care of my mags since 83'.  Got some 20 rd mags from VietNam here with me that just ran fine thru a SAW yesterday.  Don't have the moon dust at my location as I'm at 6800'.  Do have to worry about sub zero temps this winter and issue LAW instead of CLP.

The mags that you receive from home, remember you can mail magazines and blades over 6" back home via Registered Mail.  Found out during GW1 that the fine Saudi sand would lock up a M9 mag.  Had to disassemble those every other day and clean.  US specs at the time had Check-Mate put a rough finish on the inside also.  Contract has been updated long ago.

The ITAR restriction was rescinded by President Trump and went into effect 9 March 2020.  Just received weapons parts last week from GG&G in the mail.  Also had Brownells mail me mounts last year to APO.
https://www.federalregister.gov/documents/2020/01/23/2020-00573/control-of-firearms-guns-ammunition-and-related-articles-the-president-determines-no-longer-warrant

CD
Link Posted: 5/25/2020 1:50:49 PM EDT
[#35]
How do ASC mags get into the supply chain?  I thought contractors got mil supplied weapons.  Well, Larry always claimed his mags were USGI, or we're about to be USGI, or were better than USGI, or something ??
Link Posted: 5/25/2020 2:15:51 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
How do ASC mags get into the supply chain?  I thought contractors got mil supplied weapons.  Well, Larry always claimed his mags were USGI, or we're about to be USGI, or were better than USGI, or something ??
View Quote

Depends on contract.  My first contract, they bought the guns and mags.  Current contract, SOCOM provides.  Got Triple Canopy here running the Ugandan security with semi auto US AKs (Century Arms IIRC) and Pmags.

CD
Link Posted: 5/25/2020 2:23:22 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
That totally sucks. I spoke to a guy that came back and he was telling me they were destroying conex containers full of mags and other gear because they weren't shipping them back to the states.
View Quote

USDA is worse than ATF & FCC combined.  
Link Posted: 5/25/2020 11:51:54 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
As another contractor in Astan that shoots nearly every day, keep your mags clean.  Been taking care of my mags since 83'.  Got some 20 rd mags from VietNam here with me that just ran fine thru a SAW yesterday.  Don't have the moon dust at my location as I'm at 6800'.  Do have to worry about sub zero temps this winter and issue LAW instead of CLP.

The mags that you receive from home, remember you can mail magazines and blades over 6" back home via Registered Mail.  Found out during GW1 that the fine Saudi sand would lock up a M9 mag.  Had to disassemble those every other day and clean.  US specs at the time had Check-Mate put a rough finish on the inside also.  Contract has been updated long ago.

The ITAR restriction was rescinded by President Trump and went into effect 9 March 2020.  Just received weapons parts last week from GG&G in the mail.  Also had Brownells mail me mounts last year to APO.
https://www.federalregister.gov/documents/2020/01/23/2020-00573/control-of-firearms-guns-ammunition-and-related-articles-the-president-determines-no-longer-warrant

CD
View Quote

We get issued different piles of mags every day, and every pile I get issued gets meticulously cleaned. I've inspected all the mags I've been issued so far, and what I see is not encouraging. Warped springs, warped M4 magazine followers and dents seem to be the norm. I have Surefeed E2 "sand resistant" M4 mags on the way, plus ,mag springs from Brownell's (by way of my HOR address) to fix these issues.

We got a new Armorer who is a pretty decent guy, and he is into guns, which should be a job requirement IMO, so i think we can work together to get this mag business squared away.

Thanks for the heads up about the ITAR restrictions. That's getting forwarded to our Armorer today.

If you're ever at KAF for any length of time, I'll buy you an Amstel 0.0 at Cambridge!
Link Posted: 5/26/2020 11:07:45 AM EDT
[#39]
Is the warping specific to one brand of mags? Like ACS by chance? What type/brand of followers are warping? Any magpul followers?
Link Posted: 5/26/2020 11:49:26 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

We get issued different piles of mags every day, and every pile I get issued gets meticulously cleaned. I've inspected all the mags I've been issued so far, and what I see is not encouraging. Warped springs, warped M4 magazine followers and dents seem to be the norm. I have Surefeed E2 "sand resistant" M4 mags on the way, plus ,mag springs from Brownell's (by way of my HOR address) to fix these issues.

We got a new Armorer who is a pretty decent guy, and he is into guns, which should be a job requirement IMO, so i think we can work together to get this mag business squared away.

Thanks for the heads up about the ITAR restrictions. That's getting forwarded to our Armorer today.

If you're ever at KAF for any length of time, I'll buy you an Amstel 0.0 at Cambridge!
View Quote

Copy, have to what and see whenever travel restriction is rescinded.

CD
Link Posted: 5/27/2020 9:21:25 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
Is the warping specific to one brand of mags? Like ACS by chance? What type/brand of followers are warping? Any magpul followers?
View Quote

Not entirely sure about all the mags we have, because i haven't been issued any of the C Products or Okay mags yet, but all the ACS mags I've been issued have had grey anti-tilt followers with severe warpage on the legs. I'll try to get some pics of the next set of mags I get issued.

I have found that getting the tarnish and dirt off the ammunition helps feeding a LOT. We don't have access to metal polish here, but we do have ketchup. it sounds insane, but I put a very small amount of ketchup on a rag, then use it to polish the tarnish and dirt off the ammo, then wipe it clean with a damp cloth. It works extremely well in the absence of dedicated cleaning materials. I don't believe that this method will get past the primer and case mouth sealants, but I'll worry about that when it becomes an issue. Right now, getting this stuff to feed reliably is my primary goal.

Link Posted: 5/27/2020 9:54:40 AM EDT
[#42]
doubleclaw, what are the weapons provisions of your contract?

I've known of two:  the first, Uncle Sam is responsible for Government-provided equipment which includes all Basic Issue Items, ammo, tools, and repair parts.  If it breaks or wears out, Uncle provides.

The second is contractor-provided.  Uncle pays a flat fee and the contractor is responsible for arming and all bits and pieces.  Examples in posts above reference Triple Canopy explain how Ugandan, Chilean, and other third-world contractors are armed with Bushmaster-class semi-only fleets, or AKs, or whatever complies with NFA and ITAR.  Magazines and web gear from Cheaper than $hit or Crack Ho on the Corner(tm).  Contractor-provided cheap ammo from whomever I can source it from in bulk.

Before blaming Uncle, sift through the details.  Cheapest to me means Uncle paid someone for a service, and you're getting what wasn't pocketed as profit.

If the former, have your management get replacements through Uncle.  Are your weapons Government-Furnished Equipment (GFE)?  

If the latter, tell your management to get off the wallet and order new.  Good luck with that.

Government Furnished Equipment (Federal Acquisition Regulations)
Link Posted: 5/29/2020 1:30:21 AM EDT
[#43]
@Sinister and everyone else who contributed:

Thanks for the links and info.

I forwarded everything to our Armorer, and he is optimistic that we can make a case for replacing all our unserviceable magazines.

He's a good troop, and he does his best to hook us up, unlike the short timer who just left that position.

We have a mixture of GFE and CFE. Our ammo and HMMWVs are GFE, and the weapons, mags and armor are all CFE.

I’m working with the Armorer to get our shit squared away on all fronts. This shit is kinda fun, to tell the truth.
Link Posted: 5/29/2020 7:22:58 AM EDT
[#44]
I had a couple crappy mags. in AIT at Ft. Polk back in 1975.  Made me not trust M16/AR15s for a long time.  That and shooting on the windy days.
Link Posted: 5/29/2020 12:20:45 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:   I forwarded everything to our Armorer, and he is optimistic that we can make a case for replacing all our unserviceable magazines.

He's a good troop, and he does his best to hook us up...

We have a mixture of GFE and CFE. Our ammo and HMMWVs are GFE, and the weapons, mags and armor are all CFE.

I’m working with the Armorer to get our shit squared away on all fronts. This shit is kinda fun, to tell the truth.
View Quote
Damn, it's a shame all those magazines have those huge deep hammer dents in the sides and tops where you can't even load rounds into them.  Must have got caught in the vehicle doors.

I guess now you have to order decent replacements with magpul followers.
Link Posted: 5/29/2020 9:53:01 PM EDT
[#46]
OP, can I send you some Pmags? PM if interested.
Link Posted: 5/30/2020 1:05:40 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
Damn, it's a shame all those magazines have those huge deep hammer dents in the sides and tops where you can't even load rounds into them.  Must have got caught in the vehicle doors.

I guess now you have to order decent replacements with magpul followers.
View Quote

LOL. We don't have to do any work to destroy some of these mags; a bunch of them have busted spot welds on the spines, so a good pull would rip them apart in short order. I got issued one that only had two spot welds out of six still holding. You could squeeze the mag together from the halfway point down to the floorplate.

QUALITY.
Link Posted: 5/30/2020 1:53:54 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

LOL. We don't have to do any work to destroy some of these mags; a bunch of them have busted spot welds on the spines, so a good pull would rip them apart in short order. I got issued one that only had two spot welds out of six still holding. You could squeeze the mag together from the halfway point down to the floorplate.

QUALITY.
View Quote

Or look at it another way, when abused beyond common sense they still work.  Those magazines should have been pulled long ago.  It also highlights the fact some do not give a damn to take care of their equipment.

CD
Link Posted: 5/30/2020 5:11:02 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

Or look at it another way, when abused beyond common sense they still work.  Those magazines should have been pulled long ago.  It also highlights the fact some do not give a damn to take care of their equipment.

CD
View Quote

That is a true statement in all respects.

I have started badgering the ASGs to clean their mags. I do it by telling them to pull a pistol or rifle mag and thumb the rounds out, and watch their faces when the follower snags and the rounds start falling out. They discover a new interest in making sure their mags are clean at that point.

I'm finishing up the presentations for safety, handling and basic shooting classes in the next week or so, with an eye toward getting these guys up to a baseline they can continue to build upon if they decide to go further in the contracting arena. The "training" at CRC was and is a joke, so I decided to pass on something better to the ones who are interested.

Baby steps...
Link Posted: 5/30/2020 9:50:51 AM EDT
[#50]
Managed to get a couple of pics of the two mags on my belt rig today. I disassembled them and cleaned them, and they both have warped followers, as you can see. Every mag I’ve disassembled, numbering about 50 of the 180 we have, has had this issue without exception.

I can only assume it’s due to them being stored for years in extreme heat.

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Page AR-15 » Magazines
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top