Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Magazines
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 4/17/2016 2:38:14 PM EDT
So I went to the range with a bunch of new M3 PMags and just about every one of them had repeated failures to feed and I got one double feed, what the hell?  Do PMags normally require a breakin period or has Magpul released a bad batch?
Link Posted: 4/17/2016 2:45:30 PM EDT
[#1]
No break in needed.  You have something else wrong or those mags are bad somehow.
Link Posted: 4/17/2016 5:08:13 PM EDT
[#2]
I have never had to break in a Pmag, they have all been good to go out of the box.
Link Posted: 4/17/2016 7:18:28 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
No break in needed.  You have something else wrong or those mags are bad somehow.
View Quote

All I have ever had to do is take them out of the plastic and put ammo in them.  

OP - did you try any other magazines while shooting?
Link Posted: 4/17/2016 7:22:52 PM EDT
[#4]
No.  What about the magazine would actually break in?  They are GTG out of the bag
Link Posted: 4/17/2016 7:44:18 PM EDT
[#5]
Are you inserting the mags all the way? The new gen 3's have the ridge on the back that prevent the magazine from being over inserted but sometimes it needs an extra tap to make sure it's seated.
Link Posted: 4/17/2016 8:48:19 PM EDT
[#6]
Nope.  Should be good to go right out of the packaging.
Link Posted: 4/17/2016 8:59:21 PM EDT
[#7]
Im wondering if your buffer spring is weak?  Try replacing your buffer spring with a nice milspec weight chrome silicone one. A tone of brands sell them, Larue, Sprinco, Tubbs, Wolff.  Sounds like your buffer spring might be weak and the new mags are outpacing your bolt carrier return rate.  You can stretch your existing spring to check prior to purchasing but for around $20.00 for a chrome silicon spring you cant go wrong to gain a good deal of lifespan.  I think I have old Wolffs CroSil in mine, never had issues with them.  Doing rebuilds and thinking about new springs.  I wouldn't go any higher than your OEM spring weight because it can cause excessive bolt wear, case lip damage, and pressure issues.  A heavy spring allows the pressure to increase and slightly better muzzle velocity, but the cycle rate is slowed back, which can reduce felt recoil, then the return cycle is faster and can cause issues.
Link Posted: 4/17/2016 9:39:42 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
So I went to the range with a bunch of new M3 PMags and just about every one of them had repeated failures to feed and I got one double feed, what the hell?  Do PMags normally require a breakin period or has Magpul released a bad batch?
View Quote
 It's not impossible that the mags are bad, but rather unlikely.  Peruse the Troubleshooting Forum.  More details will be needed, to include exactly what is happening with the "failures to feed."  Many feeding failures are a symptom of a gas system issue.  Load one round in the mag and fire it.  Does the action fully cycle and lock open on the empty mag?  Is the fired brass reliably being extracted from the chamber and ejected free from the ejection port?  Where does the live round stop?  Is the bolt on top of the round or are the bolt lugs behind the round trying to chamber it?  What ammo and rifle?  Was anything changed recently?  Has is received a thorough cleaning and liberal lubrication?  Also, what you refer to as a "double feed" is highly unlikely.  A double feed is when the magazine releases two live rounds which try to occupy the same space during feeding (usually due to a damaged mag).
Link Posted: 4/17/2016 9:42:31 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Im wondering if your buffer spring is weak?  Try replacing your buffer spring with a nice milspec weight chrome silicone one. A tone of brands sell them, Larue, Sprinco, Tubbs, Wolff.  Sounds like your buffer spring might be weak and the new mags are outpacing your bolt carrier return rate.  You can stretch your existing spring to check prior to purchasing but for around $20.00 for a chrome silicon spring you cant go wrong to gain a good deal of lifespan.  I think I have old Wolffs CroSil in mine, never had issues with them.  Doing rebuilds and thinking about new springs.  I wouldn't go any higher than your OEM spring weight because it can cause excessive bolt wear, case lip damage, and pressure issues.  A heavy spring allows the pressure to increase and slightly better muzzle velocity, but the cycle rate is slowed back, which can reduce felt recoil, then the return cycle is faster and can cause issues.
View Quote

The bolt seems to be passing straight over the magazine without stripping a new round.  I had an M2 magazine with me as well, it worked flawlessly, it was just the M3s that were acting up.  Maybe too much spring pressure on the buffer?  But wouldn't that also cause failures to eject?

The only other issue I can think of other than the mags themselves is ammo, the M2 was loaded with Israeli MK262, while the M3s had Tull, which seemed to be running smoky even by Russian standards, looked almost like Black Powder for a few shots, could the ammunition have just not been producing enough power to fully cycle the bolt?  But then what would have caused the double feed?  Again though, if it was too low pressure to cycle completely shouldn't I have been seeing failures to eject?
Link Posted: 4/17/2016 9:50:16 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
 It's not impossible that the mags are bad, but rather unlikely.  Peruse the Troubleshooting Forum.  More details will be needed, to include exactly what is happening with the "failures to feed."  Many feeding failures are a symptom of a gas system issue.  Load one round in the mag and fire it.  Does the action fully cycle and lock open on the empty mag?  Is the fired brass reliably being extracted from the chamber and ejected free from the ejection port?  Where does the live round stop?  Is the bolt on top of the round or are the bolt lugs behind the round trying to chamber it?  What ammo and rifle?  Was anything changed recently?  Has is received a thorough cleaning and liberal lubrication?  Also, what you refer to as a "double feed" is highly unlikely.  A double feed is when the magazine releases two live rounds which try to occupy the same space during feeding (usually due to a damaged mag).
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Casings seemed to eject normally and flew a good distance, bolt locked open properly on empty mags.  The bolt does not stop, it simply rides over the round without stripping it.  Yes the magazines were seated.  The double feed was exactly that, two rounds were ejected from the magazine, the one the bolt was trying to chamber, and the one underneath.  Magazines were brand new, first time using them.
Link Posted: 4/17/2016 10:00:02 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 4/18/2016 5:28:36 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Does not sound normal. I would call our CS to troubleshoot. We can always send new mags to you but some quick troubleshooting should narrow down the problem pretty quick.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Casings seemed to eject normally and flew a good distance, bolt locked open properly on empty mags.  The bolt does not stop, it simply rides over the round without stripping it.  Yes the magazines were seated.  The double feed was exactly that, two rounds were ejected from the magazine, the one the bolt was trying to chamber, and the one underneath.  Magazines were brand new, first time using them.

Does not sound normal. I would call our CS to troubleshoot. We can always send new mags to you but some quick troubleshooting should narrow down the problem pretty quick.

Magpul is solid, they will take time to help figure it out, or replace any bad mag.

I really miss them in CO, but support them in their decision.
Link Posted: 4/18/2016 5:53:23 PM EDT
[#13]
I've had new magpul mags not feed the first few rounds, once the spring took a set the issue went away.  Wolf poly was the worst, but did it with brass as well.

ETA:  Had the same issue with new D&H.  Buffer spring was new chrome silicon, also tried XP spring.
Link Posted: 4/19/2016 10:15:07 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
I have never had to break in a Pmag, they have all been good to go out of the box.
View Quote

Same here.....
Link Posted: 4/19/2016 11:19:23 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Same here.....
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Same here.....

Never had to break in any brand of mag.
They work or they don't.
Link Posted: 4/19/2016 1:37:47 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

They work or they don't.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Same here.....

They work or they don't.

Same here.   Never had a bad Pmag or legit G.I. that was new out of the wrapper.  I've fucked a few up, but never gotten a bad one in hundreds of new mags used...
Link Posted: 4/19/2016 11:49:38 PM EDT
[#17]
+10.

Never had a single problem with new PMags.  

The OP has something else going on with his platform.

Stick with normal weight buffer springs whether C-Sil. or standard spring steel.
Link Posted: 4/21/2016 1:10:48 AM EDT
[#18]
Its a  Pmag.

Sure it needs "broke in":

Open bag
Load it FULL, none of that 28rd crap
toss it across the yard

There, its "broke in"

Its the ammo.
Im shooting 245gr Missouri Bullet Co 300 blk subs in G3 Pmags, with ZERO issues, and if something was NOT going to feed, those would be it.
Link Posted: 4/21/2016 2:09:22 PM EDT
[#19]
Got off the phone with Magpul, didn't really help, just said to try shooting again with different ammo and see what happens, suggested it may have been low gas pressure causing short strokes and to try and find the double feed magazine (it unfortunately got jumbled with the other 6 I brought with me when I was packing up) and send it in.  I did learn something interesting though, apparently Anderson lowers sometimes do not like M3s, they don't allow them to seat high enough, if anyone is interested. (Mine is DPMS, but with Anderson parts mixed in.)
Link Posted: 4/21/2016 2:18:55 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Got off the phone with Magpul, didn't really help, just said to try shooting again with different ammo and see what happens, suggested it may have been low gas pressure causing short strokes and to try and find the double feed magazine (it unfortunately got jumbled with the other 6 I brought with me when I was packing up) and send it in.  I did learn something interesting though, apparently Anderson lowers sometimes do not like M3s, they don't allow them to seat high enough, if anyone is interested. (Mine is DPMS, but with Anderson parts mixed in.)
View Quote

No surprise.

Your m2's were loaded with good 5.56 ammo.  The m3's loaded with some of the weakest and inconsistent .223.

Sounds like your gas system isn't setup to reliably run the Tula.  Like I said, no surprise really.  

Page AR-15 » Magazines
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top