BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Magazines
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 6/10/2013 10:58:24 AM EDT
I bought some Pmags from Brownells and received them last week after a 6 month back order. The order was not specifically for GEN2 or 3 so naturally I assumed (since all stock was gone) I would be getting the newest production M3 mags. I was surprised to see that the mags that came were in fact GEN2 mags.

Are M2 mags in production still? and why?

I've noticed that some people intentionally order M2 mags is there a benefit to the M2 over the M3? There seems to be a long list of M3 improvements so I was wondering.

These are my first plastic mags, I've always been  USGI guy before just had a few questions. They do seem nice so far but I have yet to take them out to the range.

LTC
Link Posted: 6/10/2013 12:35:43 PM EDT
[#1]
A few tests people have done show the M2 to be stronger than the M3, also the M3 fit looser in a lot of lowers (no first hand exp, just what I have read).
Link Posted: 6/10/2013 12:51:31 PM EDT
[#2]
My M3 Pmags don't drop free out of the magazine well. The M2 fly out with the push of a button. I prefer the M2.
Link Posted: 6/10/2013 1:04:51 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
My M3 Pmags don't drop free out of the magazine well. The M2 fly out with the push of a button. I prefer the M2.

This seems to contradict the other post that the M3 was looser. Is there a great deal of tolerance differences between individual mags? I will have to give mine a test tonight.
Link Posted: 6/10/2013 1:08:09 PM EDT
[#4]
Were they listed as MOE Pmags?  I'm pretty sure Magpul started labeling the Gen2's as MOE Pmags...
Link Posted: 6/10/2013 1:17:04 PM EDT
[#5]
100-006-987WB
30rd PMAG Black 10 Pack

Convenient bulk pak of Magpul's revolutionary, proven, 30-round polymer magazines. Available in standard PMAG and PMAG MagLevel configuration with windows on both sides of the magazine and a bright, orange indicator to display ammo level. For Gen 2 Mag. Available in black, dark earth, O.D. green, and foliage green. No longer come with dust covers.

This must have been the part I missed.

Not a big deal I just wondered why the Gen2 was even made anymore.
Link Posted: 6/10/2013 1:17:45 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Were they listed as MOE Pmags?  I'm pretty sure Magpul started labeling the Gen2's as MOE Pmags...

I didn't see "MOE" in the listing but who knows perhaps I missed it.
Link Posted: 6/10/2013 1:24:42 PM EDT
[#7]
M2 PMAG are better in many ways for an AR
Link Posted: 6/10/2013 1:25:05 PM EDT
[#8]
I've also come across the issue with M3 Pmags not dropping freely compared to my M2 Pmags.

This is on Stag Arms lowers.
Link Posted: 6/10/2013 1:30:14 PM EDT
[#9]
Why through away good tooling.
Link Posted: 6/10/2013 1:48:42 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
M2 PMAG are better in many ways for an AR

+1
Link Posted: 6/10/2013 5:02:55 PM EDT
[#11]
Just loaded and cycled a few rounds through.  They feed like butter and drop free loaded and unloaded as advertised. I still need to get them to the range but it looks like a good buy for sure.  So far I like them!
Link Posted: 6/10/2013 5:06:32 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

You don't throw it away but you might spend your man hours on building your latest products instead of obsolete  models. However after reading these posts and trying them it seems like the gen 2 mags are targeted at the standard AR platforms and the Gen 3 mags are targeted at the more exotic AR platforms and so they can both be of use to us and not as obsolete as I may have thought.
Link Posted: 6/10/2013 7:02:31 PM EDT
[#13]
The over insertion tab on the Gen 3's made them nearly impossible to pull out or put in the pouches/ triple shingle on my PC. I have since traded my Gen 3's for 2's.
Link Posted: 6/10/2013 8:09:27 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Quoted:

You don't throw it away but you might spend your man hours on building your latest products instead of obsolete  models. However after reading these posts and trying them it seems like the gen 2 mags are targeted at the standard AR platforms and the Gen 3 mags are targeted at the more exotic AR platforms and so they can both be of use to us and not as obsolete as I may have thought.

With the biggest mag rush in history on your hands, you don't just put good molds on a shelf and run at half capacity. Magpul had every intention of maintaining production of the m2 mag. I'm sure they had already added capacity to produce both when the rush started. They're making both mags out of the same polymer so it's not like they're having to change the mix either. Also, it keeps being reported that they are already making mags outside of Colorado so they send one set of molds to one place and run the other in the other place.
Link Posted: 6/11/2013 6:49:47 AM EDT
[#15]
Are M2 mags in production still? and why?

Yes & I don't know. I wonder that too.  If the gen 3's are so good & so improved why are they not selling 1 version?  Not like they wouldn't sell out of M3's if that's all they made.   Dump the dumb dust cover & sell the M3's at $13/each & be done with it.
Link Posted: 6/11/2013 4:14:34 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
The over insertion tab on the Gen 3's made them nearly impossible to pull out or put in the pouches/ triple shingle on my PC. I have since traded my Gen 3's for 2's.

Exactly why I still go with MOE/M2 instead of the M3s. That new tab is completely useless if you run an AR so to me the M3s cost more and might get tangled up in a mag pouch...
Link Posted: 6/11/2013 5:00:45 PM EDT
[#17]
Gen 1-2 or 3 All operate well in my Colt, LMT or Bravo company lowers-
Link Posted: 6/12/2013 12:25:03 AM EDT
[#18]
Gen 2 mags tend to run a dollar or two cheaper than Gen 3.  And they tend to work very well in the vast majority of ARs.  So, unless you need the specific "features" of the Gen 3, save a few dollars and get the Gen 2.
Link Posted: 6/12/2013 7:54:39 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Gen 2 mags tend to run a dollar or two cheaper than Gen 3.  And they tend to work very well in the vast majority of ARs.  So, unless you need the specific "features" of the Gen 3, save a few dollars and get the Gen 2.

Yes and no - depends on how you want to use them.  Don't forget that the MOE Gen 2 mags don't come with a dust cover, while Gen 3's do.  If you intend to load the magazines and store them (in which case I personally feel you want to use the dust cover) then the price difference is diminished because you have to buy dust covers for the MOE Gen 2's.

Link Posted: 6/12/2013 8:51:48 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
A few tests people have done show the M2 to be stronger than the M3, also the M3 fit looser in a lot of lowers (no first hand exp, just what I have read).

This.  At least the old polymer formula for the M2s anyway.
Link Posted: 6/17/2013 6:06:58 AM EDT
[#21]
I use Pmags almost exclusively for my 5.56 upper.  I have two M2 30-rounders for my war belt and 3-gun competition, if and when I get that far.  But the 20-rounders my favorite for paper punching at the local range, and for every day carry should that ever happen.  They don't extend below the pistol grip and they are plenty big enough for the 10 round strings I like to shoot for load development.  

I have two M2 20-rounders, one Lancer 20-rounder and I just recently acquired two of the new M3 20-rounders.  Here are some pics showing the differences between the M2 and M3 models.  The M3s do include dust covers.  Their base plates are about .050" narrower than the M2 models and their followers are a slightly tighter fit inside the poly bodies.  The new M3s drop free from my Aero Precision lower, no problem.  I haven't had a chance to try them at the range, but they sure look good on my rifle. - CW

Link Posted: 6/17/2013 6:30:51 AM EDT
[#22]
Both the M2 and MP3 Pmags work well for me.
Link Posted: 6/17/2013 8:53:32 AM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 6/17/2013 10:24:41 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

With the biggest mag rush in history on your hands, you don't just put good molds on a shelf and run at half capacity. Magpul had every intention of maintaining production of the m2 mag. I'm sure they had already added capacity to produce both when the rush started. They're making both mags out of the same polymer so it's not like they're having to change the mix either. Also, it keeps being reported that they are already making mags outside of Colorado so they send one set of molds to one place and run the other in the other place.

"Along with expanded feature set and compatibility, the GEN M3 incorporates new material technology and manufacturing processes for enhanced strength, durability, and reliability to exceed rigorous military performance specifications."

^ From Magul's website.
Link Posted: 6/17/2013 10:30:41 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

"Along with expanded feature set and compatibility, the GEN M3 incorporates new material technology and manufacturing processes for enhanced strength, durability, and reliability to exceed rigorous military performance specifications."

^ From Magul's website.

Ok? Not sure what that has to do with my post? If it is about the polymer, they're only using one polymer in mag production. They're using the newest polymer to make the m2 mags as well.
Link Posted: 6/18/2013 7:57:13 AM EDT
[#26]
I HATE the Gen3 20rd mags and won't buy them.  They're longer and curved.  The old 20's are perfect in my opinion and wish I could find more.
Link Posted: 6/18/2013 4:22:47 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yes and no - depends on how you want to use them.  Don't forget that the MOE Gen 2 mags don't come with a dust cover, while Gen 3's do.  If you intend to load the magazines and store them (in which case I personally feel you want to use the dust cover) then the price difference is diminished because you have to buy dust covers for the MOE Gen 2's.

Magpul themselves have repeatedly stated that their tests show the dust covers are NOT NECESSARY for safe long term storage of loaded mags.  

Break the cycle of disinformation.
Link Posted: 6/18/2013 5:41:21 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
I HATE the Gen3 20rd mags and won't buy them.  They're longer and curved.  The old 20's are perfect in my opinion and wish I could find more.

I don't hate them, but I also prefer the 2G 20 rounders, they're handier for bench work.
Link Posted: 6/18/2013 6:26:06 PM EDT
[#29]
It's just very frustrating when you find something that works fantastic and it's just perfect, and then the company goes and "improves" it.  
Link Posted: 6/18/2013 9:17:51 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Magpul themselves have repeatedly stated that their tests show the dust covers are NOT NECESSARY for safe long term storage of loaded mags.  

Amen

Link Posted: 6/18/2013 9:20:49 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
It's just very frustrating when you find something that works fantastic and it's just perfect, and then the company goes and "improves" it.  

I guess Magpul felt that product improvement was the way to go....
But they're still making the "perfect" mag that you like, so win-win?
Link Posted: 6/19/2013 6:25:33 AM EDT
[#32]
I'm prettty sure they aren't making Gen2 20rd mags anymore.  The Gen3's are plentiful and cheap in my area and they are all that seems to be available anywhere.  Magpul doesn't list the Gen2 on the website anywhere either.
Link Posted: 6/19/2013 8:32:18 AM EDT
[#33]
Link Posted: 6/19/2013 11:21:56 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Quoted:
I'm prettty sure they aren't making Gen2 20rd mags anymore.  The Gen3's are plentiful and cheap in my area and they are all that seems to be available anywhere.  Magpul doesn't list the Gen2 on the website anywhere either.

Both the PMAG 30 Gen 3 and Gen 2 (MOE) magazines will be produced, with the gen 2 filling the lower price point role and the the gen 3 filling the military role.

This is for 30rd.  What about 20rd?
Link Posted: 6/19/2013 3:17:45 PM EDT
[#35]
Link Posted: 6/21/2013 2:42:12 PM EDT
[#36]
Interesting. I got some of the M3 30 rounders at Xmas and hadn't tried them out until I got my AR pistol setup completed.  It's an Adams Arms 7.5in Evo upper on a Mega lower.  I had cycling problems from day one with it and have sent it to AA 3 times to have checked out.  I found it would cycle fine on the higher quality ammo, but not others.  I tried it with a couple different M3 mags and thought I ruled out mags being the issue.  Just tested it with an old M2 mag and it ran fine.  I'm thinking the BCG is having a hard time cycling over the M3 design compared to the M2. Anyone else experienced or read about similar issues?  Just checking to make sure I'm not imagining this.
Link Posted: 6/21/2013 3:06:57 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

I feel the same way.  The Gen 2 straight 20's are my go to magazine for a day at the range.  I was only able to get 3 before they were discontinued and they will be missed.  I guess I will go back to the D&H aluminum 20's I was using before I found the Gen 2 Pmags.
Link Posted: 6/21/2013 5:19:10 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Both the PMAG 30 Gen 3 and Gen 2 (MOE) magazines will be produced, with the gen 2 filling the lower price point role and the the gen 3 filling the military role.

This is for 30rd.  What about 20rd?

The old straight-bodied 20-rounder has been discontinued and replaced by the PMAG 20 AR/M4 GEN M3.  The 10, 20, and 40 rounder are only available in the GEN M3 style.

Any way you all  would consider making them again, the new 20s dont really hit the mark like the old ones. Plenty of people feel this way, not just me
Link Posted: 6/24/2013 4:59:46 AM EDT
[#39]
I prefer the old straight ones too.
Link Posted: 6/24/2013 5:20:18 AM EDT
[#40]
When I get home in Jan, I have about 6-8 never used straight 20rd mags I will happily trade for the new ones.

I must've missed it.  Why are people objecting to the new mags?
Link Posted: 6/24/2013 8:25:25 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
When I get home in Jan, I have about 6-8 never used straight 20rd mags I will happily trade for the new ones.

I must've missed it.  Why are people objecting to the new mags?

I have several strait 20's also that I'd trade for the new ones.

I don't understand the objection either, but it is their right to like what they want.

Once I started using curved 20's, I like'em just fine (and feel the spring has more room).
Link Posted: 6/25/2013 11:07:29 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Amen

I can only go by what I've observed.  I've stored full magazines without the dust covers and seen with my own eyes that they do bow out on the sides over time.  Would they have functioned properly had I tried to use them in this condition?  Quite possibly, but I'm personally not comfortable storing them loaded without the dust covers.  I have to believe the long term (years, and perhaps decades of storage) the deformation I saw would become an issue.

Link Posted: 6/25/2013 11:45:37 AM EDT
[#43]
I need to break out my gen 3 mags
Link Posted: 7/9/2013 3:34:34 PM EDT
[#44]
Just received some new g3 30 rounders today they all work normally in my colt loaded and unloaded if that helps any. No issues dropping free, holding the bolt back or locking into place.
Link Posted: 7/9/2013 6:04:05 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
I prefer the old straight ones too.

+1

Link Posted: 7/9/2013 6:18:21 PM EDT
[#46]
I took my G2s out to the range last Saturday for a test drive. They cycled and dropped free of my RRA perfectly
Link Posted: 7/12/2013 2:31:52 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

any link?
Link Posted: 7/13/2013 3:32:52 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

Gen 2 PMAGS seemed to have reliability and bolt lock back issues. Lots of bad reviews on the old straight-bodied 20 rounders.
Link Posted: 8/12/2013 9:08:20 AM EDT
[#49]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Gen 2 PMAGS seemed to have reliability and bolt lock back issues. Lots of bad reviews on the old straight-bodied 20 rounders.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Quoted:

My four mags were purchased separately over several years and they have all been perfect in my two Colts.  I had not heard of problems with them and am surprised to hear they have bad reviews.
Link Posted: 8/13/2013 10:38:07 AM EDT
[#50]
I am also surprised. I have never heard of anyone having problems with the old straight ones. I have a bunch and use them in a Colt and a Sig516 and I have never had a problem at all. Those are the only ones I use at the range.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Page AR-15 » Magazines
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top