User Panel

Page AR-15 » Magazines
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 3/20/2006 12:09:35 PM EDT
Experiences?  Opinions?
Link Posted: 3/20/2006 12:13:07 PM EDT
[#1]
I have some Israeli-made ones and they run 100%.
Link Posted: 3/20/2006 12:25:30 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
I have some Israeli-made ones and they run 100%.

Like mags work well in AKs.  It is just this is my first AR and always understood mags to much less consistent than AKs.

Anyone else?
Link Posted: 3/20/2006 12:37:54 PM EDT
[#3]
I have some used worn out ones.  They run like total crap.  Occasionally I'd get through a mag without problems.  The ban is over! Buy USGI!
Link Posted: 3/20/2006 1:39:56 PM EDT
[#4]
?????
Link Posted: 3/20/2006 1:49:54 PM EDT
[#5]
I used to have a few.  They functioned perfectly, but I lost about 15 rounds from a fully loaded mag when I dropped it by accident.  The feed lips flexed and let go of half the rounds.  The mag was one of the updated ones with the metal reinforcing in the feed lips, too.
Link Posted: 3/20/2006 2:08:20 PM EDT
[#6]
I bought 3 of them in very used condition for $10.00 total.  I figured at that cost it was pretty low risk.  Only 1 of the 3 fed reliably and consistently, and the other 2 were worthless junk.  I use the Orlite in my AR 180b during range trips only.  Go with USGI.  
Link Posted: 3/20/2006 3:38:18 PM EDT
[#7]
I have used them extensively, mostly in the 16s.  Each and every one I have used were bought NIW.  Each and every one developed feed lip cracks after less than 10 mag dumps.  All continued to function long after these developed, though.  But when the cracks are sufficiently enlarged the result will be double feeds.  

I had a couple develop cracks in the body, but these did not impair function.

Orlites do not like lube of any kind, but they are most reliable when clean.  I find that they attract grit, and are more difficult to keep clean vs alloy USGI mags.

I still use mine for blasting, but under no circumstances would I use them for anything but recreational shooting.

Sam
Link Posted: 3/21/2006 10:52:27 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
I bought 3 of them in very used condition for $10.00 total.  I figured at that cost it was pretty low risk.  Only 1 of the 3 fed reliably and consistently, and the other 2 were worthless junk.  I use the Orlite in my AR 180b during range trips only.  Go with USGI.  

At $3-5 each they are a good buy for range mags.

There is a reason whay Isreal switched to USGI.
Link Posted: 3/21/2006 11:02:30 AM EDT
[#9]
I use mine exclusively for range mags.  I will not use them for any shoot and move stuff like 3 gun.  I also have issues with them fitting certain lower receivers.
Link Posted: 3/21/2006 11:03:51 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
I have some used worn out ones.  They run like total crap.  Occasionally I'd get through a mag without problems.  The ban is over! Buy USGI!

+1

I've given away all but 1 of my Orlites.
Link Posted: 3/21/2006 11:34:26 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

At $3-5 each they are a good buy for range mags.

There is a reason whay Isreal ISED8Uswitched to USGI.

Link Posted: 3/21/2006 12:13:36 PM EDT
[#12]
I wouldn't use anything for a "range mag" that I wouldn't use in combat.

TS
Link Posted: 3/21/2006 12:15:17 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

TS

I will worry about that the next time I see combat which hopefully will be never again.  My Orlites are just fine for feeding rounds into my ARs when I am sitting at a bench punching holes in paper.
Link Posted: 3/21/2006 12:29:15 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Quoted:

TS

I will worry about that the next time I see combat which hopefully will be never again.  My Orlites are just fine for feeding rounds into my ARs when I am sitting at a bench punching holes in paper.

I get your point.  A lot of people are stocking up on mags now.  I have plenty of USGI, C Products, NHMTG, D&H and a couple of Thermolds.  I see no point in buying a cheaply/poorly made mag today when there are some great mags being sold right now for very little money.  I don't plan on seeing any combat anytime either, I'm just buying good mags while they're cheap...

TS
Link Posted: 3/21/2006 12:32:18 PM EDT
[#15]
TS.  I completely agree with you.  The Orlite mags I have now were purchased by me when I had no idea that they were junk, and believe me, I will not buy any Orlites in the future.  I wouldn't recommend for anybody to buy any unless they got them for a dollar a piece and then only use them for bench shooting.
Link Posted: 3/21/2006 3:15:20 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
Experiences?  Opinions?

Wish I had a $1 for everytime somebody asked this on here. Heres the skinny on Orlites:

Here it is in simple terms: Orlites are to mags what Wolf is to ammo. Some people praise em, some people curse em.

Ive never had a problem with them, never broke a feedlip, and never cracked a mag. Although some here claim to have had these problems,

Work fine, feed and function great. These are almost as good as USGI mags. But with the price on USGI mags under $10, why bother with something second best?
Link Posted: 3/21/2006 5:25:38 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
Experiences?  Opinions?

Don't waste your money!  You can buy brand new mags for close to $9.00 apiece,  I have seen ancient AR mags that run fine, all the orlites I have seen have bulged feedlips and don't feed worth a crap.
Link Posted: 3/21/2006 5:49:45 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Experiences?  Opinions?

Wish I had a $1 for everytime somebody asked this on here. Heres the skinny on Orlites:

Here it is in simple terms: Orlites are to mags what Wolf is to ammo. Some people praise em, some people curse em.

Ive never had a problem with them, never broke a feedlip, and never cracked a mag. Although some here claim to have had these problems,

Work fine, feed and function great. These are almost as good as USGI mags. But with the price on USGI mags under $10, why bother with something second best?

I think the Wolf bashing here is utter BULLSHIT!  With the exception of Tok I have used wolf in every calibre I own absolutely 0 issues.  As far as Orlite point made I'll pass.
Link Posted: 3/27/2006 10:43:27 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Experiences?  Opinions?

That's been my experience.
Link Posted: 3/28/2006 10:29:57 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
Experiences?  Opinions?

I can only assume El_Ron and jaymeister99 purchased new or lightly used mags.  I don't think there is really anything wrong with the Orlites. It's only that back during the ban someone imported a whole bunch that were worn out.

But buy USGI. They are the best and they are as cheap as you are ever likely to see them.  If the ban comes back they will cost $30 each in a few years.
Link Posted: 3/28/2006 10:34:54 AM EDT
[#21]
They don't even fit in RRA and Double Star lowers.  Not sure why.  Worked in my DPMS lower, though.
Link Posted: 3/28/2006 10:43:32 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:
They don't even fit in RRA and Double Star lowers.  Not sure why.  Worked in my DPMS lower, though.

Old issue easily solved by dremeling down the little ridge around the Orlites, they'll work fine then.

YMMV, but I use them for range mags only, just like the Thermolds they do NOT react well to dusty, dirty environs as they generally malfuntion (FTFeed) in dusty conditions.

Mike

ps - I have a couple that produce particularly nasty "jam" conditions for those days when ya feel like running some malfunction drills. One produces double feeds and the other just FTFeed about halfway thru the mag, both are excellent for training purposes.....
Link Posted: 3/28/2006 6:52:47 PM EDT
[#23]
i have a few but i wouldnt trust them in SHTF situations...only for the range....they are the mags i really beat the crap out of...but hey they were free
Link Posted: 3/28/2006 8:23:26 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
Experiences?  Opinions?

I can only assume El_Ron and jaymeister99 purchased new or lightly used mags.  I don't think there is really anything wrong with the Orlites. It's only that back during the ban someone imported a whole bunch that were worn out.

But buy USGI. They are the best and they are as cheap as you are ever likely to see them.  If the ban comes back they will cost $30 each in a few years.

I've never seen a new one, some of mine I did dump dirt and sand (Middle east?) out of when I got them.
Page AR-15 » Magazines
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top