Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Magazines
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 2/28/2006 7:58:08 AM EDT
Anyone use them.  Are they worth fifty dollars?   My H&K is.
Link Posted: 3/10/2006 7:55:40 PM EDT
[#1]
Friday, March 10, 2006

Hi:

I looked at the D&L magazine on the website and I decided to pass on them and buy the HK mags instead.  I do understand what Dave Luck has done to a standard GI magazine, but taking a GI Magazine and installing a different “No Tilt” follower and baseplate, all for $49 is too much.  Hell, I have done similar with my current magazines by installing a MagPul followers and floor-plate, all for a lot less than $49.  I believe $30 for a D&L magazine would be more appropriate since the standard GI magazines are now so reasonably priced.  

I canot find anyone on any website that has used them

Take Care and Good Luck!

MP5 Machinenpistole
Link Posted: 3/11/2006 5:31:36 AM EDT
[#2]
The reason you can't find anyone who has used them, is because they are over priced. H&K is THE high reliability STANAG magazine and is superior to all others. They are much more than a USGI magazine with an aftermarket follower/floor plate. I own a few, and they are worth every penny. I like to see new products, especially magazines enter the market place but much of these "improvements" respond to a "perceived" need rather than an actual need. Standard USGI magazines with "green" followers, especially those made by D&H are excellent magazines and have served well for 30 years. The only problems I have ever had with these magazines have been with examples with worn-out components. Brand new D&H magazines are extremely reliable and I have yet to have a single mag related failure with any of the ones I own. Paying 50.00 for a slightly upgraded USGI magazine is obscene....the H&K magazine is more thank just a "tweaked" USGI magazine and is thus worth the money, whereas the DL magazine is not. Id consider paying 20.00 for one though, considering brand new Cproducts magazines with Magpul followers are 10.50 a piece, 20 bucks seems high.
Link Posted: 3/11/2006 2:37:05 PM EDT
[#3]
Saturday, March 11, 2006

Hi Guys:

I agree.  I am in the process of converting over 100-percent to HK magazines, especially as the price of the HK magazines is slowly coming down with availability going up.

I now have 14 HK magazines and I will eventually arrive at my goal of 30 HK magazines.  I just buy one HK magazine a payday (two per month).  Right now my magazine inventory consists of 14 HK magazines and 30 aluminum GI magazines with MagPul followers.  I go to the gun shows and try to sell off my aluminum G.I. magazines, but it is hard to do when the price of new G.I. magazines is so reasonable.  Still, I do have some limited success.

The more I use the HK magazines, the more the standard GI magazines, even the brand new ones, well…just look like junk!  The magazine is one of the most important items for an AR15 rifle and I feel that this is no time to be on the cheap!

Yes, it is a lot of money, but in this business, you do very much get what you pay for.

Take care and good luck…

MP5 Machinenpistole
Link Posted: 3/11/2006 5:01:25 PM EDT
[#4]
I own one H&K, two Bushmaster, one Universal and four Defense solutions magazines.  I like the H&K best.  I may buy another  H&K.  
I called Rock River to order a brass deflector and the sales person told me they had run test on H&K mags.  He said H&K were junk and I was just buying the name.
Thanks for your input.
Link Posted: 3/12/2006 4:20:48 PM EDT
[#5]
Sunday, March 12, 2006

Hi Guys:

I think the salesperson at Rock River Arms is full of BS and does not a clue of what in the hell he is talking about!  HK magazines junk, he can kiss my bobushiska were the sun does not shine!

Take care and good shooting….

MP5 Machinenpistole

Link Posted: 3/12/2006 5:23:52 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
I own one H&K, two Bushmaster, one Universal and four Defense solutions magazines.  I like the H&K best.  I may buy another  H&K.  
I called Rock River to order a brass deflector and the sales person told me they had run test on H&K mags.  He said H&K were junk and I was just buying the name.
Thanks for your input.

He is full of shit.  HK mags are well built.  If you have the money and weight is unimportant, go ahead.  I've had no problems with mine but I'm going to compare mine with C Products new stainless mags.  

TS
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 12:13:20 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
Saturday, March 11, 2006

Hi Guys:

I agree.  I am in the process of converting over 100-percent to HK magazines, especially as the price of the HK magazines is slowly coming down with availability going up.

I now have 14 HK magazines and I will eventually arrive at my goal of 30 HK magazines.  I just buy one HK magazine a payday (two per month).  Right now my magazine inventory consists of 14 HK magazines and 30 aluminum GI magazines with MagPul followers.  I go to the gun shows and try to sell off my aluminum G.I. magazines, but it is hard to do when the price of new G.I. magazines is so reasonable.  Still, I do have some limited success.

The more I use the HK magazines, the more the standard GI magazines, even the brand new ones, well…just look like junk!  The magazine is one of the most important items for an AR15 rifle and I feel that this is no time to be on the cheap!

Yes, it is a lot of money, but in this business, you do very much get what you pay for.

Take care and good luck…

MP5 Machinenpistole

Where are you buying your HK mags from?
Link Posted: 3/17/2006 6:57:26 PM EDT
[#8]
I am buying my HK magazines from my local gun store here in Las Vegas.  The owner is a HK Law Enforcement Dealer, so he can get the HK magazines fairly often at a so-so price, I pay 48.50 each.  The other gun shops, if they have them, want $59.95 or more, so locally, he has the best price.  I have shopped around on the Internet for a better price, but just buying one magazine at a time with the shipping, it is just not cost effective.  I would save maybe $2 or $3.    

I am patient, with two mags a month I am getting there.  My next goal is to buy / build a SHFT box for these mags and ammo.  I have seen some very good ideas here on AR15.Com.

Take Care…

MP5 Machinenpistole
Link Posted: 3/18/2006 9:15:39 AM EDT
[#9]
I've never used any other magazines except USGI and the steel British SA80 mags.  I've never had a single mag related failure with USGI mags or the steel brit mags in thousands of rounds.  That's with the stock floorplates, springs and followers.

Why would I want to pay more for HK mags?  Since I'm getting 100% reliability with stock USGI mags what more could I expect from an HK magazine that costs 4x as much?

This isn't a put down, it's a serious question.  I've asked it of several people advocating HK mags and have yet to receive a meaningful response.  I've asked the same question about Magpul followers too.
Link Posted: 3/18/2006 12:52:07 PM EDT
[#10]
Saturday, March 18, 2006

Yes I understand, I too have had, on the whole, good luck with the GI Issue magazines.  With me the issue concerning HK verses GI magazines is that the HK are much more quality built than the GI magazines; and, perhaps the two magazines are addressing different tactical thoughts concerning magazines.

The HK magazine is built with the idea that the magazine is a durable and reusable item, and it is to be used with the same care and diligence as the rifle itself; not dumped on the ground and thrown about, and it will be used repeatedly many times over.  Hence its quality of constriction, stamped steel with a machined follower, etc.  I think this tactical thought is also reflected in the price of a magazine $50 - $60.

The GI magazine is built with the idea that the magazine is a consumption and disposable item separate from the rifle; it is to be used a few times at best and disposed of; dumping and abandoning it on the ground, throwing it about, etc.  Hence its marginal and limited quality of construction.  I think this tactical thought is also reflected in the price of a magazine $15 - $20.

I guess the bottom line for me is the magazine is the one of the most important part of the rifle.  Many functioning problems can be traced back to the magazine.  And I always remember if I do not have a good quality and 100% reliable magazine, well then all I do have is a very awkward and not so useful single shot rifle…not so good!

Take care and good shooting

MP5 Machinenpistole
Link Posted: 3/18/2006 10:33:57 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
I am buying my HK magazines from my local gun store here in Las Vegas.  The owner is a HK Law Enforcement Dealer, so he can get the HK magazines fairly often at a so-so price, I pay 48.50 each.  The other gun shops, if they have them, want $59.95 or more, so locally, he has the best price.  I have shopped around on the Internet for a better price, but just buying one magazine at a time with the shipping, it is just not cost effective.  I would save maybe $2 or $3.    

I am patient, with two mags a month I am getting there.  My next goal is to buy / build a SHFT box for these mags and ammo.  I have seen some very good ideas here on AR15.Com.

Take Care…

MP5 Machinenpistole

What part of the state is this HK LE Dealer located ?
Link Posted: 3/18/2006 11:58:14 PM EDT
[#12]
$50-60 for a magazine?
Is an HK mag worth 5-6 times more  than a perfectly functioning, proven and reliable USGI?
No - I don't care if it's made by Rolls Royce.

I'll be very happy to buy 6 USGI mags for your 1 heavier HK mag; then let's see who comes out ahead in the long run. Do the numbers! Even if four of mine are defective from the get go, I'll still be ahead IMO.
Not to incite, but to stimulate some thought on the subject.
By all means, it's YOUR money.
Link Posted: 3/19/2006 4:14:55 PM EDT
[#13]
It only takes one malfunction when the burglar is coming at you with a knife.
Link Posted: 3/19/2006 4:49:30 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
It only takes one malfunction when the burglar is coming at you with a knife.

I guess you answered your own question
Page AR-15 » Magazines
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top