Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Magazines
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 9/26/2005 11:06:45 PM EDT
Hey all, i bought a 30 round magazine off of e-bay a while back *wink* and was going to use it for airsoft purposes.

I grew out of airsoft a few years back, and after Katrina, built my first AR. I found my old magazine shell from my aborted project, and i want to repair it with a extra USGI magazine spring, mag pull follower, and spare plate from my new mags (I installed map pull plates).

Thing is... I broke off the two front tabs of the magazine. I was thinking i could use 100 mph tape to aid the larger rear two tabs in keeping the bottom plate in place... one big peice, then wrap it.

Think it would work? Or could I JB weld a tab or something in place?

Link Posted: 9/26/2005 11:23:33 PM EDT
[#1]
So far:

I took a T65 (Taiwanese AR clone) magazine, took out its spring and steel base plate. I put the spring onto a green follower, and assembled everything with the crippled USGI magazine body. The steel baseplate fits surpisingly flush, even after I added 30 rounds! I beleive this is because the spring may exert most of its force on the rear of the magazine, where i still have the retaining tabs.

I will probably just use duct tape for peace of mind, yay! another range magazine!
Link Posted: 9/27/2005 4:07:17 AM EDT
[#2]
Do yourself a favor and get yourself some USGI magazines.

Mike
Link Posted: 9/27/2005 5:26:37 AM EDT
[#3]
I honestly don't think it's even worth the trouble when you can get new USGI mags for $12
Link Posted: 9/27/2005 6:54:45 AM EDT
[#4]
I had a similar dilemna with an otherwise brand-new Center Industries magazine.  One of the  floorplate tabs was broken off.

Salvaged the innards, then tossed the mag body into the garbage.  Just not worth the risk.
Page AR-15 » Magazines
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top