Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Magazines
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 4/4/2005 8:13:08 PM EDT
Personally, I think this really belongs in the Ammunition forum, but since the Stripper Clips & Bandoleers thread is here, this is where I'm posting.

So, I have ammo can, ammo, stripper clips and bandoleers.  I want to put it all together, throw in some desiccant and seal the can for storage.  Now, my question is does anyone know where I can find some desiccant packs?  Like a common retail establishment or something, I just don't have a clue.

Also, any help in the proper way (i.e., how Lake City does it). to pack my 7 bandoleers in the ammo can?

Thanks...
Link Posted: 4/4/2005 9:13:17 PM EDT
[#1]
The gel-type dessicant is most easily found and least expensive when you buy it as kitty litter.
Link Posted: 4/4/2005 9:36:37 PM EDT
[#2]
yep, "crystal" kitty litter is actually silica gel.  put it in paper envelopes and voila, dessicant packs.
Link Posted: 4/5/2005 6:49:28 AM EDT
[#3]
And in a SHTF situation, you can spread it around after the SHTF to soak up any unwanted spatter.  Bad joke.

Anyways, I must go buy kitty litter now.
Link Posted: 4/5/2005 8:26:17 AM EDT
[#4]
CTD sells em
Link Posted: 4/5/2005 6:05:40 PM EDT
[#5]
The local shoe store throws away a couple hundred packs a week. Ask and they'll likely save them for you.
Link Posted: 4/5/2005 7:11:54 PM EDT
[#6]
Has noone here ever used google (or any other search engine)?

Here's a primer
Link Posted: 4/5/2005 7:25:57 PM EDT
[#7]
Thanks for everyone's help, much appreciated...
Link Posted: 4/5/2005 7:31:17 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Here's a primer

First of all, fuck you!  

Secondly, I was looking for a local retail establishment, not someplace to order it off the Internet.  That's supposed to be one of the uses of these boards, to help out each other (I knew someone would have the answer).

Third, if you're going to be a smart-ass; at least get things right.  A "primer" is an introductory lesson on a subject (hyperlinking a Google search with "desiccant packs" in it hardly qualifies).

Link Posted: 4/7/2005 7:07:33 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
The local shoe store throws away a couple hundred packs a week. Ask and they'll likely save them for you.

That's how I got mine.

Last fall when I was buying my daughter her soccer cleats I asked the cashier if they had any. She went out back and returned with two shoe boxes full of tiny little packets
Link Posted: 4/7/2005 7:10:26 AM EDT
[#10]
I got some large bags of silica from the local motorcycle dealer. They come in the crates.
Link Posted: 5/15/2005 3:48:39 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
The gel-type dessicant is most easily found and least expensive when you buy it as kitty litter.

What would be a preferred kitty litter to use???? Unscented I suspect but any particular brand?

Link Posted: 5/15/2005 10:29:31 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:

What would be a preferred kitty litter to use???? Unscented I suspect but any particular brand?

I've bought two different brands.  The first had few blue crystals interspersed in the white/clear crystals.  I hoped they were indicators, turning pink after a certain amount of water absorption, but no, the were just colored blue.

So the last bag I just bought the cheapest that was in a bag.  There were brands that came in plastic jugs, but when I checked the lids they were all lightly loose and there was no saftey-type seal over the mouth of the jug so I assumed that the crystals were not completely dry.

Regardless, I bake the crystals on baking sheets for about 3 hours at 150 degrees just to ensure that they are completely dry and at full absorption capacity.
Link Posted: 5/18/2005 11:08:11 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I've bought two different brands.  The first had few blue crystals interspersed in the white/clear crystals.  I hoped they were indicators, turning pink after a certain amount of water absorption, but no, the were just colored blue.

So the last bag I just bought the cheapest that was in a bag.  There were brands that came in plastic jugs, but when I checked the lids they were all lightly loose and there was no saftey-type seal over the mouth of the jug so I assumed that the crystals were not completely dry.

Regardless, I bake the crystals on baking sheets for about 3 hours at 150 degrees just to ensure that they are completely dry and at full absorption capacity.

I've found a microwave works well also unless they silica is just completely saturated.  Its very easy to tell if there is moisture is present because the silica gets hot and the moisture cooks off... if the silica is dry, it doesn't heat up.  Last stuff I got was plain white and sealed in a plastic bag inside a cardboard box - it was completely dry out of the bag.
Link Posted: 5/18/2005 11:21:08 AM EDT
[#14]
www.zorb-it.com

You will love this stuff!  I have it in all my cases.  Very cool, and you don't have to heat it up or do anything else.  Check out the web site, and you'll see.
Link Posted: 5/18/2005 9:29:21 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I've found a microwave works well also unless they silica is just completely saturated.  Its very easy to tell if there is moisture is present because the silica gets hot and the moisture cooks off... if the silica is dry, it doesn't heat up.  Last stuff I got was plain white and sealed in a plastic bag inside a cardboard box - it was completely dry out of the bag.

Good tip.  Thanks.  The micro will be more energy efficient too.
Link Posted: 5/19/2005 1:07:32 AM EDT
[#16]
I just bought some from Pelican.  Catalog # is 1500D for $7.50.  Good for 3 cubic ft per unit.  Comes in a metal container w/ 40g.  When the silica is full, it will turn pink....bake in vented oven for 3hrs per Pelican instructions.  I did the plastic bag w/ silica, but didn't like the look in my case.
Link Posted: 5/19/2005 2:35:27 AM EDT
[#17]
If you want to go the online route then try Jakes .

Good prices and fast service.

FB
Link Posted: 5/19/2005 2:02:59 PM EDT
[#18]
I get mine from my unit Supply NCO. Everytime a new soldier enters the unit, Joe gets his MOPP suit. Each MOPP suit comes packed with 2 packets about the size of an average bill fold. Best of all is the cost...FREE.99!
If you have any Army/Marine hook ups, you can't go wrong.
KILO OUT
Link Posted: 5/19/2005 9:00:27 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Here's a primer

Dang...................the guy asks a question, and gets smartassed to death. Hope you don't do this to all the posts you read with a question in them, pretty soon everyone with querys will be afraid to post!

My $.02

John
Page AR-15 » Magazines
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top