Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Magazines
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 3/11/2005 5:05:33 PM EDT
I just got a batch of new Thermold mags....these are new/never inserted. I cannot get them to fit my Bushmaster Carbine without the bolt locked to the rear. I then go to close the bolt and the carrier gets hung up midway though cycle.

How can I make these fit? I kept opening and closing the bolt over them until the bolt finally closed.....  this seemed to help somewhat, but they still barely lock in with the bolt closed.

Thanks for any suggestions.
Link Posted: 3/11/2005 5:23:12 PM EDT
[#1]
sell them
i have had no problem with the h21 h22 in my bushmaster. maybe you need to file down the lips or something.

i remember seeing a thread where you had to break these in. cycling the bolt so that it would grind down the lips but most of the threads stated that they dont work in bushmaster rifles.

how much did you pay for them? are they u.s. made? did you mess them up?

they work fine in my rifles maybe we can work out something
Link Posted: 3/11/2005 6:58:16 PM EDT
[#2]
Discard them and buy ONLY USGI or SA-80 "England" mags.

Let's see if we can make the damned Thermolds work for you.

Remove the upper receiver.

Insert Thermold.  Look at the bolt catch, how it is held up by the U-shaped cut at the upper rear of the mag.

Now insert a USGI mag.  Note the shape of the cut at the rear of the mag.

Using a dremel, make the Thermold match the USGI mag.
Link Posted: 3/11/2005 10:31:04 PM EDT
[#3]
Give them to me..:)...I just culled a couple mags today.  Best bet is to suck it up and chuck the ones that don't work, or mark them and keep them separate from the mags that do work.  Don't bother trying to fix them, do not bother trying to re-machine your gun to work with them, just go and get ones that work.

I say this because I have both ground on guns and magazines, and it sure is hell ain't worth filing on a $700 gun trying to get a $10 mag to work.....and trying to get a mag to work is like feeding a porche regular unleaded and hoping it will work as well as supreme.
Link Posted: 3/13/2005 5:04:49 AM EDT
[#4]
dont file on the rifle!!!  file the mag.
Link Posted: 3/13/2005 9:57:28 AM EDT
[#5]
Here's a thought....sell them and pick up some mags that WILL FIT in your rifle without having to customize them to fit.... Were talking $10 mags here.
Link Posted: 3/13/2005 10:03:19 AM EDT
[#6]
buy USGI mags
Link Posted: 3/13/2005 4:36:04 PM EDT
[#7]
I have a ton and a half of GI mags...I know they're the best. I got these for a bargain price and just felt like tinkering is all.

Of course I will not modify the gun.....duh......
Link Posted: 3/13/2005 6:21:39 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
I have a ton and a half of GI mags...I know they're the best. I got these for a bargain price and just felt like tinkering is all.

Of course I will not modify the gun.....duh......

dang it took one post to become a team member>?

i went from like a few hundred before my acct got upgraded.

just a fyi these thermolds work great for the .50 beowulf
Link Posted: 3/13/2005 8:56:40 PM EDT
[#9]
there are 2 possibilities.  either the bushmaster is wildly out of spec or the thermolds are wildly out of spec. I think the answer here is obvious.
Link Posted: 3/13/2005 10:30:07 PM EDT
[#10]
there are 2 possibilities. either the bushmaster is wildly out of spec or the thermolds are wildly out of spec. I think the answer here is obvious.

Thermolds were never "in spec" to begin with.

Did you check the top rear of the Thermold like I described?

Does it have the small U shaped cutout?  The bottom of that U is too narrow and shallow, and binds against the bolt catch.

Email me for pictures of modified Thermolds.
Page AR-15 » Magazines
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top