Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Magazines
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 9/24/2004 8:52:27 PM EDT
Wow!  The Beta C-mags are FLYING off the shelves these days.  Looks like sellers had tons of inventory and very few LEO takers.  Too much supply and not enough demand.  Like most things in life, there must've been a good reason.  

What's the inside AR-15.com skinny on these giant mags?!  I've read they'e finicky feeders and require a fair amount of lube to operate efficiently.  They'd be awfully heavy once fully loaded, but they sure keep you firing instead of reloading.  Who likes reloading anyways?!  However, with all the sales activity, i wonder if I'm missing out on this run?!  Are these buyers just "mall ninjas" or savvy AR shooters?  

Are you going to get one or are they over-rated?  
Link Posted: 9/24/2004 9:18:11 PM EDT
[#1]
Just you wait.  In about two months all those people who rushed to buy Beta's are going to be thinking, "Man I'm not so sure this was worth the $250+."  (Although you'll never actually hear someone say it.)

They are a nice range gadget but I sure as hell would'nt take one with me into combat.

Cause there is so much combat here in Iowa...
Link Posted: 9/24/2004 9:33:22 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 9/24/2004 9:43:02 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 9/24/2004 9:57:48 PM EDT
[#4]
I considered one too.....but after seeing one in person, I really lost any faith in them.

I'll wait and see what other folks say.....but not too impressed so far.

Link Posted: 9/25/2004 4:04:29 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 9/25/2004 4:11:54 AM EDT
[#6]
i think they're interesting but $200+ is a lot of money for me.  too much to spend on something i'll probably never use.  i'd rather have 200 worth of new 30rd mags, or another lower.
Link Posted: 9/25/2004 5:50:27 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
i think they're interesting but $200+ is a lot of money for me.  too much to spend on something i'll probably never use.  i'd rather have 200 worth of new 30rd mags, or another lower.

+1
Link Posted: 9/25/2004 11:31:54 AM EDT
[#8]
I own a former "pre-ban" Beta.  I spoke with Kevin at Beta the other day inquiring about what changes have been made in the product.  He informed me the had redesigned the internals to be more reliable.  

For those with Class 3 weapons, the Beta is a fun product.  As to it's combat/LEO/SHTF applications, I too remain a bit skepticle.

Regards,
Gary
Link Posted: 9/25/2004 12:16:10 PM EDT
[#9]
I use one with my 614. 100 round full auto mag dumps are a thing of glory. A cheap must have if you own an M16.

Like almost all civies, the M16 is a range toy, so so is my C-mag.
Link Posted: 9/25/2004 12:35:31 PM EDT
[#10]
I had a drum for my ak looks cool but weights more than the rifle sold it i am not paying $200 for the same thing on a ar15 I just take 30 rds mags for me
Link Posted: 9/25/2004 1:09:48 PM EDT
[#11]
I think the MWG 90 rounder is better from what I have heard on this board.

CRC
Link Posted: 9/25/2004 1:49:07 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
I think the MWG 90 rounder is better from what I have heard on this board.

CRC

Iv'e never tried the MWG, so I can't speak to that, but I will say that the MWG is half the cost. I just recieved Centerfire's magazine and they are $125.00.  
Link Posted: 9/25/2004 3:34:21 PM EDT
[#13]
Fun at the range with the M16? YOU BET!

If I was still humpin a ruck for Uncle Sam? No way.

In the trunk of my patrol car in case a horde of zombies decend on the city? Why not?
Link Posted: 9/25/2004 7:41:59 PM EDT
[#14]

I too have been curious about these, just don't want something that is not as reliable as the weapon itself, if they improve and does not require a second mortgage I may get one.
I own an MWG 90 rounder and so far it has been 100%. Thy do not recommend that you leave it fully loaded over time as they say the spring could be damaged. I think the instructions say 70 rounds are OK. The problem with the MWG is that the rifle is not well balanced with it and the fact that it is so damn big, it kinda interfers with your shooting position. Where it shines is on a bench with a bipod. Cut loose with my H-Bar w/90 rounds continuos and peple come from far & away to see what the heck you are shooting.
Link Posted: 9/26/2004 8:48:13 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
I got one for the simple reason that my AR Pistol wasn't heavy enough without it.  

Sounds like a good reason to buy a AR pistol, get a c-mag and a scope longer than the gun itself to make it the most impractically expensive thing Ive ever bought.
Link Posted: 9/26/2004 11:43:54 AM EDT
[#16]
Yep, M16 + Beta + plenty of ammo =

I love mine and it's been 100%
Link Posted: 9/26/2004 1:52:57 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

I was going to buy one, until I remember that I usually only use my 20 rounders anyway at the range. 30 rounders are too much trouble when benched, so this thing would be... well anyway. :)
Link Posted: 9/26/2004 3:40:08 PM EDT
[#18]
I would definitely get one if I had a full auto.

BUT

Considering I can get at least 20 excellent/NIW USGI mags for the same money, I pass on these.
Link Posted: 9/26/2004 6:20:16 PM EDT
[#19]
Hey. NFG here. I see a lot of guys saying they will wait till the price gets to about $100.00 or so. Don't think that will happen. Before the ban, remember the ban?, Beta C mags were $250..00. They are still $250.00. Don't think we will see them any cheaper. I bought one simply because I kicked my self in the butt for not getting before the ban and becasue I could! And they bring strange looks at the range!
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 7:06:02 AM EDT
[#20]
The MGW and Beta mags both function well.
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 7:21:12 AM EDT
[#21]
I agree, I've had excellent results from both the C-Mags and the MWG 90-rounder.
The C-Mag has a better balanced weight distribution because it has the twin cylinders.
MWG is much less expensive.

I think that alot of the negative comments come from those who haven't used these mags.
Sure, they are more expensive, and most folks don't "need" the higher capacity, but heck, they work, and if you have Class 3 guns, they are alot of fun.

Treat them right and they'll work great and last a long time.
Drop them out of a helicopter onto concrete, and they'll break.
If you are an equipment abuser, they are probably not the right thing for you.

For the average semi-auto AR, they are a bit heavy for one round at a time.
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 2:56:30 PM EDT
[#22]
I have owned a few 223 BETAs over the years and with a semi-auto it really isn't all that great or needed as in semiauto you get to shoot a long time with a 100-rd mag....

Where I love them is with a Full-auto!  I have emptied 100-rd BETA mags with a single burst with a junk upper and about half way through the mag I assure you that you will have the attention of anybody near ya!  I have two 223 BETA mags on order as well as a 9mm BETA for the MP-5 that I just received.  Yes, they are expensive but so are the MGs that I plan to use them with...  Everybody needs to pick and choose where they spend their money and I am putting these mags away as I am betting that in the future I will have a tough time getting them again...

As for the MP-5 BETA, I don't even have an MP-5 but I am planning to see what I can do to make her run with the Colt 9mm or UZI as 100-rds of 9mm in a subgun is just way too much fun to ignore!
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 5:36:32 PM EDT
[#23]
They should be banned just so some Military guy doesn't get burned in a fire fight with one of these gizmos.
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 5:56:05 PM EDT
[#24]
I would think they'd be great if you're on the rooftop of an embassy in Liberia.  Plenty of USGI 30's at your disposal and a relatively clean environment/perch to shoot from.  It also wouldnt hurt to have a jarhead with a 240 close by.  

I love mine but alas it's just a range toy, but hell so are the AR's I lost in that boating accident.  
Link Posted: 9/28/2004 9:38:59 PM EDT
[#25]
Have several dozen at my disposal where I work.

Tried like hell to make them 100%.

When they fail, and they do! you are then stuck with a bunch of ammo unavailable.

They fail without ryme or reason.

Based upon experience, we have dumped ours in the system.

The C-Mag might be fun and "Cool" but when things get serious, they flat SUCK!

Would rather have the troopie armed with 6 30 round mags and trust in his/her training.

Great concept,  it's just not yet reliable for folks to bet their life on.

Give it time now that the ban has expired.
I trust they will get the bugs worked out.

S-28

Link Posted: 9/29/2004 7:37:04 AM EDT
[#26]
If I had any Beta C mags they would be flying off the shelf into the trash.
Link Posted: 9/29/2004 12:09:51 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

I was going to buy one, until I remember that I usually only use my 20 rounders anyway at the range. 30 rounders are too much trouble when benched, so this thing would be... well anyway. :)

The C-mag would have a lower profile even than your 20 rounders.
Page AR-15 » Magazines
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top