Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Magazines
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 9/15/2004 6:08:50 PM EDT
I was involved in a trade where the seller stated that these were "excellent" and I say they are "fair".  There were a total of 4, but these two were the worst.  Honest opinions are welcome.

Link Posted: 9/15/2004 6:10:36 PM EDT
[#1]
those appear to be New, the scratches are normal because the coating scratches real easily, they have just be stored loosly
Link Posted: 9/15/2004 6:15:28 PM EDT
[#2]
I'd say good. at least they don't look like the worst of mine.
Link Posted: 9/15/2004 6:18:42 PM EDT
[#3]
Good to very good
Link Posted: 9/15/2004 6:28:10 PM EDT
[#4]
They look like normal storage wear.

I like "NIW".

Later,

Badredfish
Link Posted: 9/15/2004 7:05:36 PM EDT
[#5]
Comparing it to mine I would say very good to excellent condition on those mags.  Have you taken them apart?  How do they look inside?

Sarge
Link Posted: 9/15/2004 7:30:11 PM EDT
[#6]
90%
Link Posted: 9/15/2004 7:32:08 PM EDT
[#7]
If you want NIW quality (which still have various scratches on the dry lube, but nothing as bad as yours), then you need to buy NIW mags.

Loose packed mags will always look like this.  I doen't look like these have ever been inserted into a rifle, does it?

IMHO there's a difference between 100% NIW (perfect, and I have a few of these mags), NIW and LNIW mags.

You got the lower end of the LNIW scale.

HTH,

Corey

EDITED to say that from a percentage standpoint I'd call those 90-95% mags.
Link Posted: 9/15/2004 10:41:51 PM EDT
[#8]
What do the bottom tabs look like.  Do they have marks like they have been dropped?  They look excellent with storage marks.
Link Posted: 9/16/2004 1:05:35 PM EDT
[#9]
Look like excellent condition to me.  I can't believe some of you guys are treating mags like they are *$(%&^# coins or sports cards.  Next thing you know they will open up a magazine grading corporation, seal up mags in hard plastic, and an MS70 graded mag will be worth $250.  If they have more than 90% of the powder coat left on it, they are excellent IMO.
Link Posted: 9/16/2004 5:50:42 PM EDT
[#10]
" Excellent " doesn't mean absolutely brand new.  Those in your pics look pretty good to me.   After you use them for awhile the powder finish on any mil spec mag will rub of some.

What hy.gif  REALLY  how
Link Posted: 9/16/2004 6:14:32 PM EDT
[#11]
90%+
Link Posted: 9/16/2004 6:35:17 PM EDT
[#12]
Look above the mag catch hole... no scratches from the mag catch dragging on the side.  This has not been inserted into an AR-15.  This finish rubs off easily.  It is a spray on (or dip in) dry lubricant.  You can freshen this up with a can of "moly dry lube" aka "dry moly".  This is a common item in industrial hardware stores.

Moly lubes come in different shades, some near black, some silvery gray, but most are close or right on the original mag color.

I have seen NEW mags still in the wrapper that did not look any better than these.  See the silvery area on the second picture?  That is where these have been in the box, stacked together, and that area rubbed on the bulge under the mag catch hole of the mag beside it.  Just jiggling and handling the box will do this.

Unless these mags are recoated, I think they are new.

See ajm1911's mag?  A little cleaning, and spraying on new dry moly will make that well worn mag look new.  It appears to be well used.  A good refurb would be to clean and respray the body, replace the spring, and if the old black follower, replace with a green follower.  Or leave the black in if you want, they usually work well.

As far as the tabs, it is normal to have a big glob of the dry moly smeared there.

Link Posted: 9/17/2004 1:29:22 PM EDT
[#13]
A while back I bought some Center mags that were still in the 1992 wrapper. I opened one and it looked just like the mag in your picture. Take a chill pill.
Link Posted: 9/17/2004 2:07:12 PM EDT
[#14]
Thats funny Josh. Being a numisist myslef.. i gotta chuckle..

Those are new mags. many are shipped in bulk. The light coating scratches.. no big deal..

I got about 25 of them in a box.. they all look exactly like your and are brand new..

My 2c
Link Posted: 9/17/2004 4:51:39 PM EDT
[#15]
Well, maybe I owe the guy an apology for blowing up at him for sending me these.  My view of excellent condition is below, on a magazine that has seen heavy usage over the last 6 months.  Is the difference Teflon coating?  The below mag is a La Belle and for a used mag, it looks 200 times better than the ones I was sent.
Link Posted: 9/17/2004 5:30:18 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
Well, maybe I owe the guy an apology for blowing up at him for sending me these.  My view of excellent condition is below, on a magazine that has seen heavy usage over the last 6 months.  Is the difference Teflon coating?  The below mag is a La Belle and for a used mag, it looks 200 times better than the ones I was sent.
memimage.cardomain.net/member_img_a/208846_527_full.jpg

Yep--teflon's much tougher.
Link Posted: 9/18/2004 2:59:35 PM EDT
[#17]
I would say they were in VG+ condition 85-95&. I would expect to pay no more than $14. each for ones like yours BEFORE the ban.
Link Posted: 9/18/2004 6:22:19 PM EDT
[#18]
I just got eight NIW 30rnd mags from DPMS today, and they looked no better than the mags in the original post.  This is just the nature of moly dry lube.

And I have in my possession a number of black and gray Labelle teflon mags that still look like new.

Well, maybe I owe the guy an apology for blowing up at him for sending me these.

Yeah, you owe the guy an apology.

BTW, USGI mags come two ways, in individual plastic bags and also "bulk packed" loose in boxes, no wrappers at all.  Those generally look like your photos.  This is related by Storm Tracker above.

They are just mags.  The purpose of the dry lube, I am convinced, is probably more to prevent reflection than it is to lubricate.  Underneath the mag body is anodized, so it is already corrosion resistant.
Link Posted: 9/18/2004 6:36:36 PM EDT
[#19]
There is:

NIW  self explanitory

then for used mags:

Excellent
Very good
Good
Fair
servicable

I would rate those in the pics as very good.
Link Posted: 9/18/2004 6:37:29 PM EDT
[#20]
They look excellent to me too. PCGS MS90  Your La Belle would more be like mint if new out of wrap. ~PCGS 95
Page AR-15 » Magazines
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top