Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Magazines
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 9/12/2004 12:25:23 PM EDT
Other than shooting off a bench or prone.   Less any local law restricting 30's, what do 20's do that my 30 rounders can't?
Link Posted: 9/12/2004 12:27:16 PM EDT
[#1]
like you said - smaller package.

Link Posted: 9/12/2004 12:30:23 PM EDT
[#2]
I don't know, personally I hate the fuckin' things and I always end up with them as part of trades or something.  Anyone want to trade me some 30's for 20's?

I ended up with something like 8 of them in my last deal.

Link Posted: 9/12/2004 12:32:05 PM EDT
[#3]
I have a couple that I use when on my ranch varmint hunting.  Since most varmint rounds that I buy come in 20 round packs, it is more convenient to load them all in one mag.  Also when shooting out of the window of my truck, they are less prone to get hung up on something while I am trying to get the rifle out of the window.  Other than that one scenario (and bench shooting too) I can't really think of that many advantages to 20 round mags over 30 round mags.

Wes
Link Posted: 9/12/2004 12:39:34 PM EDT
[#4]
They fit in the surplus military ammo pouches that I can buy for $2.50 each at my local Army & Navy store.  

They are easier to grip and handle doing tactical reloads at 3-gun matches.  

I started off using the 20's when I was issued them in 1966.  

There suppose to be more reliable but I've hadn't had any problems with the USGI 30's.

You don't have to put as much ammo in them thus it will save you money.  
Link Posted: 9/12/2004 2:10:58 PM EDT
[#5]
Fit into pockets better (vest, jeans, jacket) so it's possible to carry a few extra mags without getting all "tac'd out" with mag pouches.
In a drop case an AR with a 20rnd will usually fit while in mag well while a 30 won't.
Same deal for discreet carry cases (tool box, etc) since the 20rnd doesn't extend any lower than the grip does.

<edit>....but I'm kinda weird in that I prefer the Hungarian 20rnd "tanker" mags for the AK also.

Link Posted: 9/12/2004 2:18:52 PM EDT
[#6]
20 round mags are the only ones that go with an SP-1 or A-1 style AR. They are old school, and they say 'I'll cap you ass with fewer callories than those longer lasting 30 rounders'.
Link Posted: 9/12/2004 2:33:43 PM EDT
[#7]
Reasons to get at least one twenty round magazine.

1. Gives you that nostalgic look.
2. Lots of the ammo you buy comes in 20 round boxes, one box=one mag.
3. In a close quarters combat situation, more compact 20 round mag gives a little more clearance.
4. The quality of most original USGI 20 Round mags is hard to beat. Of Course, USGI 30 Rounders are also built to last.
5. Can easily be reloaded in 1/3 less time than a 30 round mag. On the flip side, it Will be Empty in 1/3 less time.
6. Better get two, 'cause of the flip side of reason #5.
7. There will come a time when there are no people left willing to part with their remaining original USGI 20 rounders. Get 'em while you can.
8. Does that little stamp mean "Universal Industries", "Colt Hartford", Or "Indiana University"? You Decide!
Link Posted: 9/12/2004 2:51:22 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
I don't know, personally I hate the fuckin' things and I always end up with them as part of trades or something.  Anyone want to trade me some 30's for 20's?

I ended up with something like 8 of them in my last deal.

Let me know what you want for them after the AWB ends. I might be interested. I like 20rd mags.

They work better for me shooting from the bench, prone or while shooting while moving. They are harder with mag changes though.

Link Posted: 9/12/2004 2:52:21 PM EDT
[#9]
Oh quit yer bitchin'....
Y'want depressing? How 'bout livin' in a country where your 20 or 30 round AR mag has to be perminantly altered to hold only five...
So for a twenty round COF I need 4 mags...!!
Link Posted: 9/13/2004 6:11:06 AM EDT
[#10]
Why?

USGI 20rd mags are mandatory for use in NRA Service Rifle Highpower events.

Link Posted: 9/13/2004 1:56:02 PM EDT
[#11]
  USGI 20rd mags are mandatory for use in NRA Service Rifle Highpower events.
quote]

That is incorrect. DCM/NRA Service rifle rules allow 20 or 30 round Mags for service rifle competition. it's just that most competitors use them as there is really no need to use 30 as you never really fire more then 10 rd strings with a reload (2/8 rds) and nobody wants to use a 30 rounder in slowfire prone. But they are prefecttly legal

(Just don't  want any inaccurate info floating around)
Link Posted: 9/15/2004 8:05:28 AM EDT
[#12]
Shooting over the hood of a vehicle when the gopher town goes hot. Keeps your barrel cooler. I love being able to shove them in my back pockets.
Link Posted: 9/15/2004 12:49:11 PM EDT
[#13]
When on duty, I carry a 20 in the gun and 30's as backups. The 20 makes a surprising difference when getting it in & out of the car; it hangs up a lot less than the 30's. (At night, the gun rides between the front seats.)

Same thing when I carried an M1 carbine -  the mag IN the gun was a 15, same reasons.

Also, I plan to use the AR for deer this year, and a 20 is much more than enough for that. If I can find a 10-round bastard mag at the show real cheap this weekend, I may pick one up just for that.
Link Posted: 9/15/2004 12:52:41 PM EDT
[#14]
Page AR-15 » Magazines
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top