Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Magazines
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 12/18/2003 10:45:12 PM EDT
Hey guys whats up.. No offense to any LEOs out there but these damn federal laws... I just dont understand them.. I mean say I wanted to buy a 100rd beta mag for my collection. I would have to pay anywhere from $500-$800 while LE can pick them up for $200. Exactly what daily dutys of a LEO require a 100rd mag? blah blah blah... sorry I just had to vent...lol...
Link Posted: 12/20/2003 8:46:14 AM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
Hey guys whats up.. No offense to any LEOs out there but these damn federal laws... I just dont understand them.. I mean say I wanted to buy a 100rd beta mag for my collection. I would have to pay anywhere from $500-$800 while LE can pick them up for $200. Exactly what [red]daily[/red] dutys of a LEO require a 100rd mag? blah blah blah... sorry I just had to vent...lol...
View Quote

The ban and the LEO/Mil. exception does not "allow" LEO's to buy any +10 rrnd mags. for their personal use, its not "carte blanche" to start a collection of post ban eq.  It simply allows the LEO to "possess" them.  If the dept. required the officer to use/carry the item, and federal outlawed that we'd have wee bitty problem, wouldn't we.
The LEO can't buy any post item, w/o confirmation that it's intended for duty use ONLY.
If there's no "daily" use intended or needed for the Beta's the theory is he/she isn't getting a letter/confirmation from his/her dept. to buy one.  Now if he/she was an entry/ SWAT/Tactical type that did need a Beta and/or articulated the need for an extra for range use/practice etc. that would be allowed.   There's a huge misconception that the exception in the ban allows LEOs to by and/or possess whatever they want, and that isn't the case.

Having said that, its a stupid F@c%!ng law.

/S2
Link Posted: 12/20/2003 11:48:03 AM EDT
[#2]
This AWB is just goofy..lol... I haved worked in EMS in a high call volume area for the last 4 years and have yet to run on or here about a shooting or bayoneting...hehe.. in which an "assualt rifle" was used. Every single shooting I have worked the pt. was shot with a "gangsta gun" (22s, 380s, or the well known $100 High Point 9mm)I just hope Sep. is as good to us as we all hope...
Link Posted: 12/21/2003 7:43:45 AM EDT
[#3]
Mrs. Brady, would you care to buy a vowel?

G_ F_CK Y_ _ RS_LF![50]

Schumer, Fiensten, Kennedy...Please wait your turn...

Sly
Link Posted: 12/24/2003 4:21:36 AM EDT
[#4]
Note that the current AWB only gives certain indivdual civilians the right to buy high capacity feed devices and weapons with their own funds.  

Individual members of the military cannot.

-- Chuck
Link Posted: 12/24/2003 2:08:06 PM EDT
[#5]
Hmm why did mjcarter remove his post?  

I think he is just jealous he cant get a company car and shoot full autos lol!
Link Posted: 12/24/2003 5:29:24 PM EDT
[#6]
I removed the post because it was  unrealistic.  I don't like some of the unconstitutional laws we live under and wanted to rant. Jealous? No. Just mad. Michael Carter
Link Posted: 12/25/2003 12:39:42 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Yeah, I hear what you say about the LEO only stuff. I have personally witnessed two Louisiana state troopers at a local range in civilian dress, off duty with an LEO only rifle. I say they are no different than anyone else unless they are on duty. If the law allows for unsupervised off duty use/practice/whatever with said LEO weapon, then that is private possession in my book. If this was not allowed, then were they committing a felony offense? They also drive the car home with all its equipment. So should they leave the weapon at the station in lockup? Yes. They should leave the car at the station too. Military personnel don't get to take the goodies home, and when off duty, they are just like everyone else. Maybe I'm just being unrealistic?
View Quote

Yes. You are being unrealistic.

The law allows officers to personally purchase (as in, with their own money) post-ban AWs and hicap magazines for duty use.

Even if those items are issued and owned by the agency, it is still unrealistic to expect the officers to lock those items up at work when they are not on-duty.

I am issued 3 hicaps for my issued duty handgun. Would it be rational for me to have to unload my sidearm and lock the magazines up before I went home? I am also issued a take-home vehicle, as is every other officer where I work. All of my issued equipment (including two full auto weapons) rides in that. I am required to tkae the weapons home, because I am also required to report for duty immediately, in the event of a critical incident. I am allowed (and encouraged) to use the vehicle when off-duty for personal errands, by agency policy, because it increases visibility of police units, not to mention the fact that after the initial cost of buying cars, agencies with "take home" cars have significantly lower maintenance costs and the cars last much longer. It is also allowed (and encouraged) for me to go shoot my issued weapons off duty, and I do (they even provide ammo). I may be the guy shooting the M4 carbine (real, not an M4gery) next to you at the range. Be nice; I share.

We want the ban to go away, too.
View Quote

I'm glad you want the ban to go away too, but I must disagree with you and say that if the common person cannot buy these, then law enforcement officers should not be able to.  Honestly, I would feel much safer if I could have those toys in the back of my vehicle than I do knowing LE personnel have these in the back of their cars.  Cops take time to respond, but if I run into a problem, I'm going to be the one on the scene in need of a solution.
Link Posted: 12/26/2003 11:53:37 AM EDT
[#8]
Cops should not be allowed to have any weapons or accessories normal law abiding citizens cannot own. It is unconstitutional.
Link Posted: 12/27/2003 7:37:52 PM EDT
[#9]
May I also reply with what alaman said...

Thanks,

Sly
Link Posted: 12/30/2003 7:36:21 PM EDT
[#10]
Not everyone is a law abiding citizen.  We are not worried about them, we're worried about the guy who doesn't care about any laws, they are out there you know.   Those are the guys we have to match. When most people go to work, they don't strap on Kevlar.  Think about it, most people don't have to face this idea daily.  And for the record, the ban is stupid.
Page AR-15 » Magazines
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top