Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Magazines
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 11/17/2003 12:40:48 PM EDT
I have a mag that will sometimes allow two rounds to be stripped off such that they jam together horribly and sometimes the bolt will just fly right over the top round leaving an empty chamber for the next trigger pull. I don't see anything wrong with the lips - although I know that does not mean much. Is it possibly a worn out spring? Bad follower (it is an anti-tilt)?

Any suggestions?
Link Posted: 11/17/2003 12:46:28 PM EDT
[#1]
OK. Lets see. Does this happen with other mags?
If not, then its in the mag. Are the feed lips spread open more on one or the other? Is the mag bulged open near the feedlips?
Link Posted: 11/17/2003 1:07:20 PM EDT
[#2]
just this mag. I can't really see anything wrong with the lips, but I'll check again.
Link Posted: 11/17/2003 1:11:11 PM EDT
[#3]
Could be the spring.  If the spring is weak, the recoil can cause the top round to pop out of the mag because there's not enough force holding it in.  Then, when the bolt comes forward, it strips a second round off the top, and you end up with two floating around in there.  I was having this problem with some mags, replaced the springs, and solved it.  
Link Posted: 11/20/2003 6:23:57 AM EDT
[#4]
Ok - double checked the feed lips and they appear to be fine. I am planning on buying a new spring and follower and seeing if that works.

If anyone has any other suggestions, please let me know!

Also - what is the best way to clean the inside of the mag while I have it apart?
Link Posted: 11/20/2003 7:36:31 AM EDT
[#5]
I had the same thing happen with two mags I picked up from Brownells.  Based on the MagFAQ,I figured I would give them a try to see.  Everytime, the last two rounds would try to double feed and the bolt would skip right over them.  Also, if I tried to load 1 round, the round would stay for a second, but would then get pushed right out of the mag.  Wanted to check the feed lips, but can't find any dimensions for them.  

I was also wondering if perhaps the mag catch slot was cut too high on the magazine.  Haven't measured them yet, but when I compare to a USGI mag, the slot seems higher.  

Link Posted: 11/20/2003 9:12:19 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Also - what is the best way to clean the inside of the mag while I have it apart?
View Quote

Old toothbrush.  
Page AR-15 » Magazines
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top