Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Magazines
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 8/3/2003 7:38:50 PM EDT
I have about 25 FAL mags that I purchased a couple of months ago. When I finally got around to looking at them, I found they are in poor shape. Quite rusty and hardly any finish left. Does any one know of a good way to remove the rust so I can refinish them?
Link Posted: 8/3/2003 7:47:38 PM EDT
[#1]
If it isnt pitted and just surface rust.

Hoppes #9 will do it but it aint cheap...

Brake cleaner will work just dont get it in your eyes. One of those green scrungie pads will help.

Next time put CLP or cosmoline on them before you store them.
Link Posted: 8/4/2003 6:20:32 PM EDT
[#2]
At work when we have rust on machining we did, we use Scotch Brite pads and a little rust preventative to get it off. You could use something like WD40 with the Scotch Brite. I just picked up like 18 Scotch Brite pads at Sam's this weekend for about $6.

Want easier and cheaper? Coca Cola. It'll remove the rust, and soap and water will remove the stickiness. Might damage the finish but no big deal if you're refinishing anyway.
Link Posted: 8/7/2003 1:55:25 PM EDT
[#3]
Find someone in your area who will blast and repark them [b]if[/b] they are salvageable enough to warrant the added cost.
Page AR-15 » Magazines
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top