Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Magazines
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 5/8/2003 4:16:56 AM EDT
Anybody ever do this and if so to what result? I'm thinking of just doing the insides as these things are like 600grit on the inside.
Link Posted: 5/8/2003 5:07:30 AM EDT
[#1]
I agree, they do feel rough on the inside.  That's the phosphate, aka "Parkerizing" (a trade name).  The phos is there because it forms a layer of crystals in a matrix that have a lot of space between them.  This space is great for "soaking" up oil, and the oil is what provides corrosion protection.

Application of the E-M Perma-Slik on the inside will provide additional lubricity.  The trick will be in getting the existing oil out of the phos.  I would suggest stripping the mags and giving the housings a thorough washing in hot water with Dawn or Simple Green, followed by a hot water rinse and then a bake at 350F to 400F for about 30 to 45 mins to thermally degrease the mags.  The oil should vaporize off at that temp and time, and the metallurgical properties should not be negatively affected as long as you do not exceed 400F.

All that said, with phos'ed mags I simply load three or four cartridges and then use a paint stirring stick, piece of lath, or a similar piece of wood to "plunge" the rounds to the bottom of the mag and back repeatedly.  I do this maybe 20X per mag.  The cartridges "burnish" the zinc or manganese phos crystals at the contact points and the result is a much "slicker" action.  

I had to do this with some Israeli metric FAL mags back in the late 80s.  Without burnishing, it was a son of a witch to load them and they would not feed reliably.  Twenty strokes with a stick pushing on four cartridges and the mags behaved like combat veterans.  Try it before you do the Perma-Slik.

Noah
Link Posted: 5/8/2003 5:54:39 PM EDT
[#2]
Thanks man, I understand what the source of the abrasive qualities is, I was just looking for a way to abate them without wearing the follower unnecessarily. When I changed the followers in these mags to green the new blacks had obviously been broken in using the reciprocating stick method as the followers had "furbies" hanging off them on the bearing surfaces. Soooo I'm thinking that before my new greenies suffer the same ill fate I would increase surface lubricity in the mag body and prevent the wearing situation which would promote tilting which is exactly what the greenies were designed to prevent.So my question stands....."Has anyone done this and if so to what result?"  
Page AR-15 » Magazines
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top