Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Magazines
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 4/15/2003 6:19:24 PM EDT
Has anyone tried using a Teflon/Moly coat to refinish mags?  Something like Brownell's Teflon/Moly oven cure gun finish.

If so what kind of results did you get?
Or is this just a bad idea?

Rich
Link Posted: 7/19/2003 6:26:13 PM EDT
[#1]
seriously, no one has tried this?
Link Posted: 7/19/2003 8:13:11 PM EDT
[#2]
I have never done it myself but I do plan on trying some permaslik on some fal steel mags(kinda off subject sorry). tacked on the top of the magazine forums is a good long discussion about refinishing mags.
Link Posted: 7/20/2003 7:01:18 AM EDT
[#3]
I have tried it on mags a few different times. i tried different ways of preparing the mags to see which way would provide for better adhesion. The Teflon/Moly from Brownell's works good on sandblasted surfaces. Since you don't want to sandblast your mags because it will remove the anodizing which is important to have.

The T/M when finished looks great on the mag when first finished. Over prolonged use the finish will start to chip off at the high spots, instead of wearing off like the original finish. This is because the T/M has a thicker film build.

After trying this product I decided that it was better just to use a product like Permasilk. The P/S is cheaper compared to the T/M and you can refinish more mags with the P/S per can.
Page AR-15 » Magazines
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top