BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 1/27/2021 1:37:08 PM EDT
What would you think is the best ammo in a 12" 556 if used just in the house, in a subdivision with homes fairly close together, and not wanting to worry about penetrating someones home? Something that would use its energy quickly I guess.
Link Posted: 1/27/2021 1:54:45 PM EDT
[#1]
I just use 55gr M193 in my 10.3” MK18. I sleep just fine knowing that’s what’s in the magazine.
Link Posted: 1/27/2021 2:00:09 PM EDT
[#2]
There are a lot of choices for 5.56, but I tend to agree with the other guy. M193 works pretty well for everything. Even with short barrels, ammo selection doesn't seem to be as critical as it is with something like 9mm. I think short barrel reliability is far more important that actual bullet selection. Speed is going to be your friend in not over penetrating and shedding as much velocity once the bullet starts hitting things. M193 is going to do better than most as far as being fast, and shedding velocity.

I did get some 62gr speer gold dots a long time ago that I thought were real cool. But good luck finding anything specific right now.
Link Posted: 1/27/2021 2:31:21 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 1/27/2021 2:49:09 PM EDT
[#4]
V-Max, Varmageddon, Nosler Ballistic tip or whatever anyone else calls basically the same bullet.

Personally use 110gr Varmageddon.300blk for the same scenario.

Link Posted: 1/27/2021 2:56:16 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
V-Max, Varmageddon, Nosler Ballistic tip or whatever anyone else calls basically the same bullet.

View Quote

If limiting penetration is the goal I think Varmint ammo is the best choice.

I’ve killed and seen the wounds on coyotes, foxes and other critters we hunt at night and they can be gruesome and deep enough to stop a threat coming at you. If the mag I grabbed had my 50gr VMax varmint ammo in it I wouldn’t sweat it. But I choose 62gr Fusion for my HD.
Link Posted: 1/27/2021 3:45:54 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
not wanting to worry about penetrating someones home?
View Quote

If it'll put a hole through a person it'll put a hole through walls. I have 62gr FBIT3 (TBBC) and 75gr GDSP loaded up, pretty sure the FBIT3 is what's in there currently.
Link Posted: 1/27/2021 3:53:52 PM EDT
[#7]
Hornady GMX, Speer Gold Dot, Barnes TSX, Federal SPs such as Fusion
Link Posted: 1/27/2021 7:05:02 PM EDT
[#8]
I would say soft points, but It's just my opinion.
Link Posted: 1/27/2021 7:56:14 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

View Quote

I went 110gr Vmax in .300blk for my home defence round...but same difference.

And yeah, some type of varmint round in 5.56 would penetrate the least (but would still go through a couple of walls).

Link Posted: 1/27/2021 8:55:30 PM EDT
[#10]
77 gr TMK will provide excellent terminal performance and good penetration while likely penetrating through less wall material than bonded SPs, if that matters to you.

Personally I'm not terribly concerned with barrier blindness in a HD bullet. Bonded rounds offer a substantial performance increase through auto glass compared to fragmenting hollowpoints, plywood and drywall - less so.
Link Posted: 1/27/2021 9:03:34 PM EDT
[#11]
I like federal fusion. A few years ago it used to be $10-12 a box
Link Posted: 1/27/2021 11:55:54 PM EDT
[#12]
FBIT3 /  62GR FEDERAL TACTICAL BONDED (LE223T3)
Link Posted: 1/28/2021 4:40:38 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
What would you think is the best ammo in a 12" 556 if used just in the house, in a subdivision with homes fairly close together, and not wanting to worry about penetrating someones home? Something that would use its energy quickly I guess.
View Quote

77gr TMK, bar none. Not many rounds in this caliber really come close if barrier penetration isn't wanted. I'm not sure why barrier blind rounds or even FMJ were mentioned (maybe aside from availability), but you're going to want a rapidly expanding/fragmenting round rather than a bonded softpoint or monolithic round that will stay together and maintain its terminal performance through barriers.
Link Posted: 1/28/2021 5:15:09 AM EDT
[#14]
Personally I just sprung for 77 grain SMK for my self defense ammo.
Link Posted: 1/28/2021 11:27:49 AM EDT
[#15]
That helps. I have several hundred gold dot 62 gn currently loaded ready to go but have really wondered if that was the right thing to do with homes so close. I always wondered if some kind of hollow point would be better for this house. The last one we had several hundred yards between homes, but not here. I just dont want a problem.
Thanks more info is always better.
Link Posted: 1/28/2021 11:49:06 AM EDT
[#16]
+1 for 77 tmk. It has significantly better terminal performance than m193, especially out of a 12.5. It produces the same size wound as a light varmint ammo but it penetrates deep enough in tissue. And it breaks up in walls better than a bonded soft point or m193
Link Posted: 1/28/2021 1:17:57 PM EDT
[#17]
Ok my idea is when you shoot a bullet 3200 FPS
it's going to make a hole no matter what bullet. Attachment Attached File
My thought is I grab my 12 guage gauge shotgun.  I have an AR , 30-06 and my shotgun in hands reach.  But mostly likely I would grab my  21 Glockie Poo.  Just my 2$ worth.  Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 1/28/2021 1:42:39 PM EDT
[#18]
Q: does anyone have examples of over-penetration actually causing injury, death, or issues? Not at all saying it isn't something to be mindful of - I think both ammo selection and knowing which directions you can/should/shouldn't/can't shoot are both important. But I realized that I haven't ever actually heard of it happening outside of police, which are both notoriously inaccurate compared to most civvie shootings as well as going in without knowledge of a home's shooting lines as an actual inhabitant would have.
Link Posted: 1/28/2021 2:04:13 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
That helps. I have several hundred gold dot 62 gn currently loaded ready to go but have really wondered if that was the right thing to do with homes so close. I always wondered if some kind of hollow point would be better for this house. The last one we had several hundred yards between homes, but not here. I just dont want a problem.
Thanks more info is always better.
View Quote

If put on target a Gold Dot or similar Soft Point will give a high probability of expansion and penetration to necessary depths and meet FBI protocols of penetration. If inside the home or outside you need to penetrate an intermediate barrier it will do so while still expanding and providing its intended performance on target.

Something like TSX/GMX being a true hollow point designed to act as such will do similarly if within there designed velocity threshold (which if iirc is 1800/2200 respectively) which you should easily meet from a 12” tube at realistic distances.

If however your using OTM type such as one of the Mk262 derivatives that relies on fragmentation you may or may not get desired performance in the intended target, and will have reduced capabilities through an intermediate barrier if necessary.

Something like the TAP Urban loading or the Federal TRU will have extremely shallow penetration as designed for those who feel a rifle will over penetrate to much. Unfortunately these don’t adequately penetrate or retain weight in the best circumstances and do as bad or worse in barrier type situations.

Regardless of which of the above you select if you miss the intended target there is a high probability that you will shoot through the walls and if struck severely injure or kill an innocent person.  Homes are not bullet proof or resistant it’s quite easy to poke holes through them. This is why it is imperative to train and insure you can reliable put hits on target with your selected tool. This is true with rifles, handguns, PCCs, and shotguns. As someone else pointed out if it will penetrate enough to reliably work it’ll penetrate walls.
Link Posted: 1/28/2021 2:13:02 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Q: does anyone have examples of over-penetration actually causing injury, death, or issues? Not at all saying it isn't something to be mindful of - I think both ammo selection and knowing which directions you can/should/shouldn't/can't shoot are both important. But I realized that I haven't ever actually heard of it happening outside of police, which are both notoriously inaccurate compared to most civvie shootings as well as going in without knowledge of a home's shooting lines as an actual inhabitant would have.
View Quote

Honestly have no idea as I have not researched it. I just know I don't want to be the first. I know that my 62gr msr fusion will penetrate and fly farther than my varmint rounds, it's supposed to. I know my varmint round is capable of penetrating 10"-13" and exploding like a softball along the way. I know it's not barrier blind at all and will expand and explode immediately upon contact with a legitimate barrier but not paltry drywall alone. I know that I cannot find an angle of attack on my 6'2" 220lb body that would afford me the ability to get hit with a round that penetrates even less than 12", let's say only 9" and explodes into only a baseball along the way, without incapacitation. I know that I have the option and freedom to choose to account for overpenetration, as well as misses, because I cannot gaurantee that my shot angle(s) will be otptimal with perfectly clear backstops. I know that besides neighbors close by, I also have family members inside the house as well. I know that I'm using a rifle round travelling at rifle speeds and not a .38 special or other handgun round that NEEDS 12" minimum penetration. I know that all of this is rather academic for anyone that's not gone through a real life home invasion or shot someone with civilian ammo offerings and not m889, m855 or mk262.
Link Posted: 1/28/2021 2:16:01 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
View Quote

I’ve never seen an example and I’ve looked for years. Each example I found was the result of a miss. Every example I have found in which a shoot through occurred the bullet was found either on the cot or inside the exterior clothing of the shot or laying nearby. Statistically which we all know can be a huge swing one end to the other data wise your far far more likely to miss the intended target altogether and hit then shoot through it and injure someone. I’ve seen hit rate data from some departments below 20% I’ve seen others in which departments had 100% as I said no examples of the other.
Link Posted: 1/28/2021 2:31:11 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

Honestly have no idea as I have not researched it. I just know I don't want to be the first. I know that my 62gr msr fusion will penetrate and fly farther than my varmint rounds, it's supposed to. I know my varmint round will penetrate 10"-13" and explode like a softball along the way. I know it's not barrier blind at all and will expand and explode immediately upon contact with a barrier. I know that I cannot find an angle of attack on my 6'2" 220lb body that would afford me the ability to get hit with a round that penetrates even less than 12", hell even 9" and explodes into a softball along the way without incapacitation. I know that I have the option and freedom to choose to account for overpenetration, because I cannot gaurantee that my shot angle(s) will be otptimal with perfectly clear backstops. I know that besides neighbors close by, I also have family members inside the house as well. I know that I'm using a rifle round travelling at rifle speeds and not a .38 special or other handgun round that NEEDS 12" minimum penetration. I know that all of this is rather academic for anyone that's not gone through a real life home invasion or shot someone with civilian ammo offerings and not m889, m855 or mk262.
View Quote

Genuinely asking. The 10-13” numbers your seeing in your particular loading. Is that gel or is that actual tissue penetration in game? Reason I ask is I’ve seen many quote gel numbers as being unnecessarily deep when not realizing it isn’t a 1-1 translation of penetration. Even varmint bullets can kill if shot through drywall. TAP Urban which from my understanding is the Vmax bullet still penetrates something like 8” of gel after passing through two layers of drywall.
Link Posted: 1/28/2021 2:48:38 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

Genuinely asking. The 10-13” numbers your seeing in your particular loading. Is that gel or is that actual tissue penetration in game? Reason I ask is I’ve seen many quote gel numbers as being unnecessarily deep when not realizing it isn’t a 1-1 translation of penetration.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Honestly have no idea as I have not researched it. I just know I don't want to be the first. I know that my 62gr msr fusion will penetrate and fly farther than my varmint rounds, it's supposed to. I know my varmint round will penetrate 10"-13" and explode like a softball along the way. I know it's not barrier blind at all and will expand and explode immediately upon contact with a barrier. I know that I cannot find an angle of attack on my 6'2" 220lb body that would afford me the ability to get hit with a round that penetrates even less than 12", hell even 9" and explodes into a softball along the way without incapacitation. I know that I have the option and freedom to choose to account for overpenetration, because I cannot gaurantee that my shot angle(s) will be otptimal with perfectly clear backstops. I know that besides neighbors close by, I also have family members inside the house as well. I know that I'm using a rifle round travelling at rifle speeds and not a .38 special or other handgun round that NEEDS 12" minimum penetration. I know that all of this is rather academic for anyone that's not gone through a real life home invasion or shot someone with civilian ammo offerings and not m889, m855 or mk262.

Genuinely asking. The 10-13” numbers your seeing in your particular loading. Is that gel or is that actual tissue penetration in game? Reason I ask is I’ve seen many quote gel numbers as being unnecessarily deep when not realizing it isn’t a 1-1 translation of penetration.

Gel, which is why I figure on and gave the example of 9" as well.
Link Posted: 1/28/2021 2:58:02 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

Gel, which is why I figure on and gave the example of 9" as well.
View Quote

Understand I edited my post to include some info on drywall as well regarding varmint type Bullets. Only reason was to pass along information about there safety. I know many perceive it to be safer but it’s not necessarily the case.
Link Posted: 1/28/2021 3:55:35 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
View Quote

People say over penetration when they just mean penetration. The concern is about shots that don't hit that exit a house
Link Posted: 1/28/2021 4:00:32 PM EDT
[#26]
Shooting a 5.56 in a closed house. Isn’t that ear murder?
Link Posted: 1/28/2021 4:43:01 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
View Quote

Shooting anything in a house unsuppressed is ear murder. 9mm sits around 161 dB while an AR is about 167 dB.. Ear murder is a whole lot better than getting actually murdered though.
Link Posted: 1/28/2021 4:52:38 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
View Quote

This is why suppressors are a good thing.

ANY unsuppressed gun inside an enclosed space is going to suck for your ears.
Link Posted: 1/28/2021 5:13:12 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

This is why suppressors are a good thing.

ANY unsuppressed gun inside an enclosed space is going to suck for your ears.
View Quote

People mistake tone for dB ratings and thus perceive shotguns and pistols to be quieter than rifles because it's a lower boom than a sharp crack. In reality, all three are going to give you tinnitus the exact same.
Link Posted: 1/28/2021 5:17:15 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
77 gr TMK will provide excellent terminal performance and good penetration while likely penetrating through less wall material than bonded SPs, if that matters to you.

Personally I'm not terribly concerned with barrier blindness in a HD bullet. Bonded rounds offer a substantial performance increase through auto glass compared to fragmenting hollowpoints, plywood and drywall - less so.
View Quote

That's my choice. Hard time finding it now, basically have 40 rounds of it. I used to use it for longer range shooting and never "topped off" on it.

Plenty of M193 though
Link Posted: 1/28/2021 6:10:05 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Personally I just sprung for 77 grain SMK for my self defense ammo.
View Quote

77gr SMK's (and 75gr some BTHP) were my original go-to rounds before I went .300blk. At the time my primary goal was home defense, so I wanted rounds that would fragment.  They would also act as my SHTF rounds so they had to run well in a wide range of barrel lengths (from 20" to 10.5"). They needed to be accurate for the long barrels, and have improved terminal performance out of short barrels......and they had to be affordable so it can be stacked and actually taken to the range.  

TMK's would have been better, but those were not to be found for $0.50 a round shipped....especially with 110gr Vmax was running about $0.60 a round shipped.

Link Posted: 1/28/2021 11:01:39 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
I went 110gr Vmax in .300blk for my home defence round...but same difference.

And yeah, some type of varmint round in 5.56 would penetrate the least (but would still go through a couple of walls).
View Quote

Sorry for missing this earlier but
Link Posted: 1/28/2021 11:04:48 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Understand I edited my post to include some info on drywall as well regarding varmint type Bullets. Only reason was to pass along information about there safety. I know many perceive it to be safer but it’s not necessarily the case.
View Quote

I understand and thank you.
I will amend my previous (rant)post so as not to continue to promote misinformation.
Link Posted: 1/28/2021 11:20:53 PM EDT
[#34]
Link Posted: 1/28/2021 11:20:54 PM EDT
[#35]
Right now it’s 75gr BTHP 5.56 Hornady frontier. I know I know, but my gun loves this stuff and I figure it’s better than M193 which is what my main stash is.

Hopefully I get off a few shots before the Big Bang
Link Posted: 1/29/2021 12:34:25 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

I know my varmint round is capable of penetrating 10"-13" and exploding like a softball along the way. I know it's not barrier blind at all and will expand and explode immediately upon contact with a legitimate barrier but not paltry drywall alone. I know that I cannot find an angle of attack on my 6'2" 220lb body that would afford me the ability to get hit with a round that penetrates even less than 12", let's say only 9" and explodes into only a baseball along the way, without incapacitation.
View Quote

Varmint round hits a hand, forearm, or upper arm then explodes, exits, disperses in air, contacts targeted body area, does nothing, bad guy stabs you with other hand, you die 15 minutes later due to low blood pressure.
Link Posted: 1/29/2021 1:17:19 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

Varmint round hits a hand, forearm, or upper arm then explodes, exits, disperses in air, contacts targeted body area, does nothing, bad guy stabs you with other hand, you die 15 minutes later due to low blood pressure.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I know my varmint round is capable of penetrating 10"-13" and exploding like a softball along the way. I know it's not barrier blind at all and will expand and explode immediately upon contact with a legitimate barrier but not paltry drywall alone. I know that I cannot find an angle of attack on my 6'2" 220lb body that would afford me the ability to get hit with a round that penetrates even less than 12", let's say only 9" and explodes into only a baseball along the way, without incapacitation.

Link Posted: 1/29/2021 2:05:56 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
View Quote

This is why it's important to look at more than just the penetration number. A bullet that expands after an inch and retains it's weight and expansion for 15" is a lot more preferable to a round that fragments upon contact, loses 80% of it's weight, and the 11gr base carries through to 20". Part of what was discovered and why these requirements came about was learning that a lot of assailants are shot in the forearms because they're holding a weapon out in front of them, meaning that rounds have to go through the forearm, not deflect, and still perform after reaching the chest.

Penetration, expansion/fragmentation + when that result starts +how far it continues, retained weight + how far that goes, and more all matter in conjunction with each other. Varmint rounds are great because they're low-penetration, but that's equally their downfall. Bonded soft points others are great because they're high penetration, but that's once again their own downfall. Look at all the testing you can find and figure out where you want to optimize.
Link Posted: 1/29/2021 5:08:27 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

Shooting anything in a house unsuppressed is ear murder. 9mm sits around 161 dB while an AR is about 167 dB.. Ear murder is a whole lot better than getting actually murdered though.
View Quote

I have a pair of amplified gun mufflers hanging from handle of my nightstand drawer. I also have an alarm so that is the first thing I reach for when the alarm goes off is I put my gun mufflers on. I have slippers by my bed so putting my slippers on and reaching for AR at the same time is very easy for me. If you have a family buy a set for each family members and have them practice putting them on with drills and dropping to the floor. Be sure the gun mufflers are close to each bed so they knew where they are all in case they need to put them on. I know this is only for sleeping but you may want few extra unamplified pairs of gun mufflers in other rooms of your home as well depending on your situation. You know the inside and outside of you home the best.

Link Posted: 1/29/2021 5:18:56 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

I have a pair of amplified gun mufflers hanging from handle of my nightstand drawer. I also have an alarm so that is the first thing I reach for when the alarm goes off is I put my gun mufflers on. I have slippers by my bed so putting my slippers on and reaching for AR at the same time is very easy for me. If you have a family buy a set for each family members and have them practice putting them on with drills and dropping to the floor. Be sure the gun mufflers are close to each bed so they knew where they are all in case they need to put them on. I know this is only for sleeping but you may want few extra unamplified pairs of gun mufflers in other rooms of your home as well depending on your situation. You know the inside and outside of you home the best.

View Quote

I just use a suppressor.
Link Posted: 1/29/2021 7:20:06 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

I just use a suppressor.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I just use a suppressor.

That is fine if you have a suppressor but myself and others do not have a suppressors so that is why I posted gun mufflers instead.  

Link Posted: 1/30/2021 1:17:06 PM EDT
[#42]
55gr and 60gr vmax loads have limited barrier penetration. They work on soft targets just fine.
Link Posted: 1/31/2021 10:59:13 PM EDT
[#43]
Semi auto 20ga with buckshot.   5.56 just isn't for what you described.  Yes, some rounds are better than others.... but you're still running the risk.   It's like pulling out instead of wrapping.
Link Posted: 2/1/2021 1:04:04 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
Semi auto 20ga with buckshot.   5.56 just isn't for what you described.  Yes, some rounds are better than others.... but you're still running the risk.   It's like pulling out instead of wrapping.
View Quote

In all kindness, please go look up buckshot penetration vs. most defensive 5.56 rounds recommended here. Last I checked, this is not the answer you or OP is looking for.
Link Posted: 2/1/2021 10:07:50 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
View Quote

To put this as nicely as possible, you are just very very wrong.
Link Posted: 2/1/2021 12:17:28 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
View Quote

Buckshot  overpenetrates more than ANY 223/556 round except maybe m995 AP. Also IMO shotguns suck unless using slugs. Also because it's a 20 gauge, use 7/8 oz slugs instead of buckshot. If its a 20 gauge then its probably #4 buckshot, which sucks compared to 00 buck or slugs, and thats from a 12 gauge. When you drop to a 20 gauge performance suffers even more. Also in my experience, a quality AR is more reliable than a shotgun, especially a cheaper semi auto.
Link Posted: 2/1/2021 12:23:58 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
Ok my idea is when you shoot a bullet 3200 FPS
it's going to make a hole no matter what bullet. /media/mediaFiles/sharedAlbum/hes_right_you_know-328.jpgMy thought is I grab my 12 guage gauge shotgun.  I have an AR , 30-06 and my shotgun in hands reach.  But mostly likely I would grab my  21 Glockie Poo.  Just my 2$ worth.  /media/mediaFiles/sharedAlbum/hes_right_you_know-328.jpg
View Quote

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 2/1/2021 9:26:20 PM EDT
[#48]
Thanks for the info. I would like to try to find some gel and try to test some heavy varmint slugs and see what they really will do. Does anyone have testing results from these? I have not seen anything but it is usually out there somewhere i guess. I really have the subdivision but that is what it is for now.
Thanks again
Steve
Link Posted: 2/1/2021 11:43:37 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
Thanks for the info. I would like to try to find some gel and try to test some heavy varmint slugs and see what they really will do. Does anyone have testing results from these? I have not seen anything but it is usually out there somewhere i guess. I really have the subdivision but that is what it is for now.
Thanks again
Steve
View Quote

Hornadys LE sight has all there tap line for pistol and rifle as well as shotgun. This includes the Tap urban 55gr through all FBI barriers in ordinance gel, it’s a VMAX as I understand it, so should give you an idea as to there performance.

Federal and Speer can be located at Le.vistaoutdoor.com though not all there rounds have test data available. If I remember correctly the 55 TRU is listed, which is a varmint type bullet they utilized for shallow penetration.

Lots of tests from folks like Chopping block on YouTube. I’ll put a link below with some other tests you might find helpful as it shows bonded and solid types as well as reduced penetration and OTM.

https://www.activeresponsetraining.net/ar-15-rifle-ballistic-gel-testing-results-best-choices-for-a-defensive-rifle-round
Link Posted: 2/2/2021 2:55:04 PM EDT
[#50]
Thanks, those charts were helpful. good info
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top